autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

buying a pc 7424xp or flex 3401

im thinking about buying a second polisher, just to keep around in case my current one (Griots Garage DA) breaks down during a job. im thinking about either a pc7424xp or a flex 3401.

id really prefer the flex, if i wanted to i could use my flex with an aggressive compound, and have one of my helpers follow my work with the GG and a finishing polish. id cut down on time for sure. but the flex is almost 3 times as much as a pc, and i could still have a helper follow me just using a pc.

what do you guys think? which one will be a better investment?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: buying a pc 7424xp or flex 3401

Having a PC and Griot's seems rather redundant. I would spring for the Flex.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Ride, I have a Griot's 6", and I added a Flex 3401, and I think the combination of both is something that can cover just about anything you would need this type of polisher for. The forced rotation of the Flex is unique and powerful, and right now I use the Griot's with 4" pads to complement the main work I do with the Flex. I've heard that the Flex doesn't work well with the Megs Microfiber system, so having the Griot's polisher covers that if I want to work with it. So having a Flex makes you have more of a choice in my opinion. My next move is getting a circular polisher. So, my vote is Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post
    Having a PC and Griot's seems rather redundant. I would spring for the Flex.
    yeah the pc would just be a backup in case the gg broke down during a job. but i think the flex would definately be abetter option in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMet View Post
    Ride, I have a Griot's 6", and I added a Flex 3401, and I think the combination of both is something that can cover just about anything you would need this type of polisher for. The forced rotation of the Flex is unique and powerful, and right now I use the Griot's with 4" pads to complement the main work I do with the Flex. I've heard that the Flex doesn't work well with the Megs Microfiber system, so having the Griot's polisher covers that if I want to work with it. So having a Flex makes you have more of a choice in my opinion. My next move is getting a circular polisher. So, my vote is Flex.
    thanks for the response, i think ill get the flex. is there really much more cutting ability in a rotary than in the flex? theyre both direct drive, id assume you can get the same level of correction from the flex as with a rotary. am i wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know your original post was concerning a PC vs. Flex 3401. But, it seems that a reply brought up rotary. Just my two cents. I was able to use all of the tools AG sells at the detailing classes in July. I already had a PC so I spent almost no time on it. I went to the classes thinking I would come home with the 3401. I could not control that beast bit walks all over the place if not flat and I couldn't keep it flat. It is definitely a very powerful machine and in experienced hands does a great job. It just wasn't for me. I ended up getting the Flex PE rotary and have not regretted it for a minute. If you want a machine to compliment the DA, I would recommend at least considering the PE 14. I also recommend Mike's detailing classes if you can swing it. Absolutely amazing experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the flex3401. (you get what you pay for) I love mine.
    Its a good Investment

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ride5150 View Post
    yeah the pc would just be a backup in case the gg broke down during a job. but i think the flex would definately be abetter option in the long run.

thanks for the response, i think ill get the flex. is there really much more cutting ability in a rotary than in the flex? theyre both direct drive, id assume you can get the same level of correction from the flex as with a rotary. am i wrong?
    You can get way more correction with a rotary compared to the Flex 3401. Hell, you can get MORE cut with a GG DA and the MF system compared to anything you will use with the 3401. The 3401 does have more swirl bursting power with foam pads, but not when you factor in the MF system with a traditional DA.

If you like fighting the polisher, go with the 3401.
    '03 Corvette Z06