autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing again after polishing.... ?

I've never washed after polish. After compound? Yes...but polish no. I honestly don't see the point. I guess it depends on whether or not you made a mess when polishing. I tend to polish, and keep things real clean. Although, I do wipe the paint down with alcohol to prep for wax/sealant.

I guess there's a lot of factors that play into whether or not you choose to wash after polish. Did your product dust heavily? Did you make a mess? Splatter?...if your answer is yes to any of those questions, then I'd say wash then. But, keep it clean...and you can move on IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    I've never washed after polish. After compound? Yes...but polish no. I honestly don't see the point. I guess it depends on whether or not you made a mess when polishing. I tend to polish, and keep things real clean. Although, I do wipe the paint down with alcohol to prep for wax/sealant.

I guess there's a lot of factors that play into whether or not you choose to wash after polish. Did your product dust heavily? Did you make a mess? Splatter?...if your answer is yes to any of those questions, then I'd say wash then. But, keep it clean...and you can move on IMO.
    Good point! Even because when doing other people cars, the clock sometimes can be a issue....

In my case I'll be working with Meg's Ultimate Compound/Polish and ScratchX 2.0.... But I also have M105/M205 on the way....

But I think I'll take care of most jobs with UP or M205 alone.... 1 step only...

Post Thanks / Like

I do usually to remove the dust from hard to reach areas, and not really for the purpose of degreasing the paint.

If your interested in just degreasing the paint you can either use a spray and wipe waterless wash, a rinsless wash, or you can use a solvent spray like IPA or some of the newer products from Griots and Carpro.

I usually like to wash the car, than if I'm sealing it with a product that has a matching paint cleaner in the lineup, use that. I feel that using a paint cleaner preps paint better than spray and wipe IPA.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like to check my work after each and every correction step to ensure my polishes/compounds are not hiding/masking any missed area's that still need correcting.
    CarPro Eraser does that VERY well without doing a wash down.
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaC View Post
    Good point! Even because when doing other people cars, the clock sometimes can be a issue....

In my case I'll be working with Meg's Ultimate Compound/Polish and ScratchX 2.0.... But I also have M105/M205 on the way....

But I think I'll take care of most jobs with UP or M205 alone.... 1 step only...
    I hear that. I'm the same way. I'll typically have 3 "1-steps", and a full correction that will sit around for a couple days so that I have the time to do it correctly. Most daily drives are a 1-step and done. I'd rather do just full corrections...but, most people don't see the point.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear that. I'm the same way. I'll typically have 3 "1-steps", and a full correction that will sit around for a couple days so that I have the time to do it correctly. Most daily drives are a 1-step and done. I'd rather do just full corrections...but, most people don't see the point.
    Here is even hard to convince them to do a 1-step... because they are like: "You're just starting and wants to charge way more than the guy of the swirl wash on the corner...."

But I tell them the guy is just worried in volume and not in quality... his products are generic and very abrasive products to do things fast regardless the damage it can cause...

Anyway..... I'll do my first car ever today (my car), so I'll charge very little for the first friend's cars to start... but I hope very soon to do this part time....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaC View Post
    Here is even hard to convince them to do a 1-step... because they are like: "You're just starting and wants to charge way more than the guy of the swirl wash on the corner...."

But I tell them the guy is just worried in volume and not in quality... his products are generic and very abrasive products to do things fast regardless the damage it can cause...

Anyway..... I'll do my first car ever today (my car), so I'll charge very little for the first friend's cars to start... but I hope very soon to do this part time....
    Unfortunately that's always how it's gonna be in the beginning. What you have to do, is take pictures of EVERY job you do. The more proof you have of your quality of work, the better. Then they will feel like driving your price down is just not fair.

Make a facebook page (or something similar) and post your work, reviews, and promote "fans". I even use this method...and I've convinced even the most stubborn customers to come to me just off what they see on my facebook page. Even some of my personal friends (who are all cheap ####### BTW, ha) are now visiting me regularly. People get addicted to the posts...they wanna know what you're working on, and enjoy seeing the outcome. Impress people, and it will bring business...no doubt about it.

Click the "like us on facebook" link in my signature and you'll see what I mean.

A little trick I always use when they try to drive you down...is say "We only give discounts on 3 or more vehicles". I know this is easier when you have more clients...but unless the customer knows your client base, then it's none of their business. But, if they really want a discount...you may just end up with a couple more jobs!

Worst mistake I ever made when starting up...was bending on price. DON'T bend on price. If anything, just make them a bit cheaper than your competition. Then there's no reason to drive you down...you're already cheaper. Next year, raise the prices if business is good. That's how it's done.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately that's always how it's gonna be in the beginning. What you have to do, is take pictures of EVERY job you do. The more proof you have of your quality of work, the better. Then they will feel like driving your price down is just not fair.

Make a facebook page (or something similar) and post your work, reviews, and promote "fans". I even use this method...and I've convinced even the most stubborn customers to come to me just off what they see on my facebook page. Even some of my personal friends (who are all cheap ####### BTW, ha) are now visiting me regularly. People get addicted to the posts...they wanna know what you're working on, and enjoy seeing the outcome. Impress people, and it will bring business...no doubt about it.

Click the "like us on facebook" link in my signature and you'll see what I mean.

A little trick I always use when they try to drive you down...is say "We only give discounts on 3 or more vehicles". I know this is easier when you have more clients...but unless the customer knows your client base, then it's none of their business. But, if they really want a discount...you may just end up with a couple more jobs!

Worst mistake I ever made when starting up...was bending on price. DON'T bend on price. If anything, just make them a bit cheaper than your competition. Then there's no reason to drive you down...you're already cheaper. Next year, raise the prices if business is good. That's how it's done.
    That's some very good advice! I'll sure follow them...
    I though doing this: Put the price I think my work is worth..... then offer a big discount to friends and co-workers... so they know I haven't raised price later, it's just the start up discount that has ended or got smaller according to business like you said.......

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I'm going to retract my previous comment on this thread because now that I'm using the Meguiar's MF System I have no issues with dusting or extra compound in between panels so I no longer wash after polishing.

I would still recommend a wash after using a polish which dusts a lot though.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onlycodered View Post
    Yeah I'm going to retract my previous comment on this thread because now that I'm using the Meguiar's MF System I have no issues with dusting or extra compound in between panels so I no longer wash after polishing.

I would still recommend a wash after using a polish which dusts a lot though.

Sent from my HTC Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    Good to hear, but are you using m105 or D300 ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast