autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice

Post Thanks / Like

Need advice

I cant decide between CQuartz and Opti-Coat. I thought I decided on CQuartz but now I don't know. I know these haven't been tested extremely long term but maybe you guys know more about the products and can make an educated guess on what would be better for my purpose.

Main objectives:
    1) Protection (which I know I will be satisfied by going with either)
    2) Keeping swirls out/ Reducing implementation of swirls
    3) Maintaining high gloss shine
    4) Easiest care/ won't require much besides a wash and QD

So I guess I need help determining which product will do better at keeping swirls out of the clear coat and will maintain its high gloss the longest by only using a QD (if I went with Opti-Coat) or reload (if I went with CQuartz)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice

Opti Coat has been around for several years. It is extremely durable. With good wash technique both should hold up well. OC is most durable of the two.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    Opti Coat has been around for several years. It is extremely durable. With good wash technique both should hold up well. OC is most durable of the two.

When Jim(OT) speaks, wise men listen!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed and have often listened to his advice!

It's good advice and I have been leaning towards OC.

While I do not care as much about 2 yrs vs. permanent because I will not have the car for much more than 2 years anyways, but if OC is more durable, will it protect against wash induced swirls better? Thats one of my biggest concerns because I want to avoid polishing them out as much as possible after the application. My wash technique will be 2 bucket but over time without polishing they are bound to appear so I want the best protection over that.

Also, which one in anyones opinion or experience will retain maximum shine the longest by only applying a QD (or reload) every so often?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I can say that I haven't used CQ but I have used OC and I am very pleased with it's performace and ease of clean up!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Any one else have opinions- Particularly to which would resist swirls better/ longer? That's my main reason for using this type of product. I read all 38 pages of the OC thread, and know it will acquire swirls and not prevent rock chips, but being my car is black, and I am trying to cut out future paint corrections, I want to use the product that cuts swirls out the most. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    When Jim(OT) speaks, wise men listen!

Yes they do!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just confused because OC says it's like another layer of clear coat. But you don't have to polish it? What if no one polished the manufactures clear? it would look horrible! Is it because when it cures it hardens and is more resistant to scratches and swirls vs a manufacture clear coat? "You can use poli seal to enhance its appearance every so often" How often is it needed, if ever?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11Jetta View Post
    I'm just confused because OC says it's like another layer of clear coat. But you don't have to polish it? What if no one polished the manufactures clear? it would look horrible! Is it because when it cures it hardens and is more resistant to scratches and swirls vs a manufacture clear coat? "You can use poli seal to enhance its appearance every so often" How often is it needed, if ever?

Prior to applying OC, the paint has to be in perfect condition(or a condition you are happy with). It is not scratch proof. If over time you do get wash induced swirls then can be polished out with Poli-seal. The thing about OC that most people miss is that while it is said to be permanent, if it requires polishing you are polishing the OC away and not the actual clear. So it is the ultimate sacrifical barrier.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Does OC show swirls the way a manufacture clear coat does or are they less noticeable with OC applied? Is the only benefit to just preserve the manufacture clear coat longer? I don't want to have to polish away swirls. I want to be protected from getting them. Preserving the clear isn't important to me because I wont keep the car long enough for it to deteriorate.

How does nano coating technology compare to this? Maybe CQuartz is what I actually am looking to use...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast