autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations for Bringing my 2008 Touareg 2 Back to Life

Hello all!

This past weekend my wife and I purchased s 2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2. It has 39,000 miles and the paint looks pretty good considering the previous owner probably didn't do much (as 90% of owners hardly ever wash their cars, let alone detail them), but nearly a year of sitting on the sales lot has left many areas of it needing attention.

I'd like to clay the entire car. I have Meguiar's detailing clay on my shelf. I've been using Meguiar's quick detailer as a lubricant but it seems like a waste.

- What clay lube should I pickup?
    - Are there "larger globs" of clay I can buy (the Meguiar's is very small and covers only a small surface area)?

I have experience using my Porter Cable polisher but my pads are worn out. I'd like a couple pads for polishing and another pad for waxing.

- What two pads should I pickup?

I plan on using P21S paintwork cleanser for the polish and 3M performance finish to top it off. I'm happy with these products.

All of the rubber trim and moldings are in faded shape. I used Einszett 1Z deep clean plastic cleaner to clean the lower trim, area around the windshield wipers and other plastics. I was very happy with this, but now want to bring back the luster and protect it.

- I've heard 303 Aerospace protectant is best to renew and protect. Anything else I should buy as well/instead?

Now here is the hardest one. Touareg's have a mixutre of exposed brushed aluminum (so I'm told) and "chromed plastic" trim. Both look beautiful when clean and new - but terrible when dull and stained. The roof rails look awful - full of streaks/oxidaized stains/etc. I'm told they're the aluminum and that "Wizards Metal Polish" does a great job on them.

- What else is recommended for the exposed aluminum roof rails? I've been told Never-Dul does NOT work on them, but Wizards does.

- What should I use to clean the chromed plastic? This is the same stuff found around the windows of most Audi's and VW's. While experimenting some basic plastic cleaner seemed to do a good job but didn't produce a mirror result. I've been told baby or mineral oil actually does a good job??

Thanks for your time and reading this. Looking forward to recommendations. Will post pictures of what I'm up against if I get time tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for Bringing my 2008 Touareg 2 Back to Life

Clay lube either Optimum No Rinse or Dodo Born to be Slippy. Quick Detailer works fine as lube though. Griots Cay comes in a pretty big chunk as do quite a few others. Most people tear them in 1/2 or 1/3's so you do runin an entire thing of clay if you drop it. I would stick with a smaller piece incase you drop it. Just take your time no need to rush!

I would get the Lake Country Hydro-tech pads. Get 2 of each so you can change pad's halfway through the car at least.

For the trim get Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. It is AMAZING, it will bring your trim and plastic back to life and last +/- 3 months. IMO 303 doesn't do very when on the exterior except maybe on a convertible top. It just doen't stand up to the elements. I use 303 for my dash.

And I'm not really sure about the chrome plastic. I haven't really dealt with it but hopefully someone else can give advice.

Good luck and Welcome to AutoGeek Online!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

The current BOGO's will give you a great alternative to Clay and a lot of pad options!
    Hurry BOGO's change Friday!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoeless89 View Post
    Clay lube either Optimum No Rinse or Dodo Born to be Slippy. Quick Detailer works fine as lube though. Griots Cay comes in a pretty big chunk as do quite a few others. Most people tear them in 1/2 or 1/3's so you do runin an entire thing of clay if you drop it. I would stick with a smaller piece incase you drop it. Just take your time no need to rush!

I would get the Lake Country Hydro-tech pads. Get 2 of each so you can change pad's halfway through the car at least.

For the trim get Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. It is AMAZING, it will bring your trim and plastic back to life and last +/- 3 months. IMO 303 doesn't do very when on the exterior except maybe on a convertible top. It just doen't stand up to the elements. I use 303 for my dash.

And I'm not really sure about the chrome plastic. I haven't really dealt with it but hopefully someone else can give advice.

Good luck and Welcome to AutoGeek Online!
    Thanks for the warm welcome and recommendations. I'll give your Ultima Tire and Trim Guard a try, take a look at the pads and check out the other lubricants.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    The current BOGO's will give you a great alternative to Clay and a lot of pad options!
    Hurry BOGO's change Friday!
    Sorry, what are BOGO's?

Post Thanks / Like

Buy one get one (free)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some photos of what I'm up against.

Oxidation/Staining on the aluminum roof rails:

Staining on the chromed plastic:

Staining/fading on the wiper blade arms (might need to be painted again?):