autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Rock chips on hood ?

I know I could use Dupli-color, or Dr. Colorchip, but was looking for something to actually repair the chips and not just hide them. Are there any tutorials here at AG for this sort of repair? Any place else?
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rock chips on hood ?

The Dr Chip just basically fills in the lowest part of the crater that is the chip. A better method is to fill the chip in (it may take a few times if it's deep) and then build it above the level of the surrounding paint by a tiny bit. Let it dry for hours or a day if you can. Wet sand the area flat and then polish. For solid, non metalics, it will virtually disappear. Metallics will never match 100% due to how the paint gets laid onto the metal from the factory. It will look better than an ugly chip however.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just thinking about this for my Acura...I saw the How-To on the Langka cpaint hip repair. I may actually pick this up.

LANGKA Complete Paint Chip Repair Kit: Repair scratches on your car without a professional paint job! touch-up paint, scratch repair kit, chip repair,
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Bill! Dr.Colorchip does fix it. It's a repair, just like everything else.

If you want a true "fix" a repaint of the panel is the only option.
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Aircraft Detailing
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Garry...have you tried the Langka paint chip repair kit?
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    I know I could use Dupli-color, or Dr. Colorchip, but was looking for something to actually repair the chips and not just hide them. Are there any tutorials here at AG for this sort of repair? Any place else?
    Dr Colorchip fills in the chips just like any other touch-up. I've actually filled in some pretty deep chips with it, and it works very well. You just have to be very gentle when trying to layer it, as too much pressure with the "Seal Act" solution can pull the paint back out of the chip. Takes some practice, but once you get it down the results are pretty impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

I am dealing with the same issues on the wife's DD, 2008 Black Kia Amanti. The previous owners attempt at chip repair left a large number of "divots" with paint in them. Can either of these systems (Dr. Color Chip or Langka) just go in over the top of the old repairs or am I looking at a major color sanding job? I'm not trying to high jack this thread, but I'm looking at trying to correct these bad looking fixes as a winter project.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Dean View Post
    Bill! Dr.Colorchip does fix it. It's a repair, just like everything else.

If you want a true "fix" a repaint of the panel is the only option.
    Garry, I understand what you're saying.

I guess I should have clarified my curiosty by saying that it was based on a video I seen, but can't recall where I seen it. The video showed a guy sanding the area and repainting it, then putting clear over it, then blending it all in with polish and some 3m buffing pads. The divot or chip area was filled in completely with clear-coat over it to seal it. You couldn't tell a chip had been there. All done in a parking lot. The guy supposedly use to work in a paint shop. He said most shops would tell you they'd repaint the panel, but a spot repair was performed and blended in. His point was, that people were being raped for the cost of repair. The time it took him to fix it wasn't much. The guy also said he could make it look like the whole panel had been repainted...like a true repaint.

Can I use Dr. Colorchip in this same manor then? I guess I need to watch some reviews of it again.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Garry, I understand what you're saying.

I guess I should have clarified my curiosty by saying that it was based on a video I seen, but can't recall where I seen it. The video showed a guy sanding the area and repainting it, then putting clear over it, then blending it all in with polish and some 3m buffing pads. The divot or chip area was filled in completely with clear-coat over it to seal it. You couldn't tell a chip had been there. All done in a parking lot. The guy supposedly use to work in a paint shop. He said most shops would tell you they'd repaint the panel, but a spot repair was performed and blended in. His point was, that people were being raped for the cost of repair. The time it took him to fix it wasn't much. The guy also said he could make it look like the whole panel had been repainted...like a true repaint.

Can I use Dr. Colorchip in this same manor then? I guess I need to watch some reviews of it again.
    No, it's not 2 separate paints. I think the paint must have some clear mixed in as it is shiny and not flat. Short of repainting, this is your best option. You really have 2 ways of doing it: like they suggest or filling it and let dry, fill it some more and wet sand off the surrounding. Of course you're removing clear that way, whereas with their system you're not.