autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

what is wrong with my spoiler?

I bought my altima november 2009 and since day one of ownership, the rear spoiler has looked like the pictures below.

It looks like someone dragged sand paper across it or something. I cant grab them with my finger nail like I could with a scratch. Here is the weird part, I have gone over the surface with an LC orange with my GG with Ultimate Compound probably about 6 times since owning the car and it hasn't improved it at all.

I recently wetsanded it using 2000-2500 grit. It was my first time wetsanding and I must have done it right as I had white slurry coming off and I didnt go throught the clear. I then removed the sanding marks with a white pad and swirlX. And guess what.. It looks no different than before.

Whats going on here? Is a repaint in order? This is what it currently looks like and what it looks like 2 years ago.

Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what is wrong with my spoiler?

If you did all that, then I would guess that those are in the base coat (Under the clear).

Also, not saying you did, and by looking at the lines I don't think is the case, but is it possible that you inserted some swirls back into the paint while removing the polish? (Again, not saying you did, just trying to guess)

Post Thanks / Like

If it looked like that day one then you should of had the dealer fix it under warranty. Now it's your dime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROMEO View Post
    If you did all that, then I would guess that those are in the base coat (Under the clear).

Also, not saying you did, and by looking at the lines I don't think is the case, but is it possible that you inserted some swirls back into the paint while removing the polish? (Again, not saying you did, just trying to guess)
    Those scratches definitely are not typical swirling. Speaking of swirls, I forgot to mention those as well. Due to my paint color, I can only really see paint swirls at night under halogens like at a gas station. Those 6 rounds of polishing did not even touch the swirls. The swirls were either a crap load of rids that look like swirls or it was repainted with amazingly hard clear. I havn't taken it out at night to take a look after my wet sanding.

The rest of my cars swirls came out easy accept for that spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    If it looked like that day one then you should of had the dealer fix it under warranty. Now it's your dime.
    TBH I didn't notice it till I started really started getting into detailing months later. Besides, it wasn't a Nissan Dealer, it was a hole in the wall place and I couldn't even get an alignment out of them when I complained about it. Also, it was 6k passed warranty when I bought it.
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh ok

Post Thanks / Like

I think those look like they are in the base coat. I once had a car that had repair work done on a panel. It had similar looking marks in that panel. I believe it was improper prep before tr clear was applied. Maybe sanding marks from sand paper that was too coarse before clear was applied

Post Thanks / Like

That really looks like incipient CC failure to me. But I guess it isn't if you've compounded it 6 times and wet-sanded it and it still hasn't failed.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen that MANY times on Nissan spoilers. I've tried to remedy it a couple times with no success. I think it's clear coat failure.

Post Thanks / Like

Factory cars are painted with en electrostatic process in a controlled environment then baked to ensure the dry spray "melts" and adheres to the surface.

Accessories like spoilers "may" not be finished in the same manor and are not mounted on the vehicle during the main finishing process.

It's quite possible that these are manually finished and those could be sand scratches in the paint then clear coated. If you've wet sanded and polished the finish with no improvement then those are in the color coat, not the clear coat. That said, you have two choices; live with this condition or have it refinished..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know that Bobby. So it's a similar process to powder coating

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast