autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I pulled the trigger....

I've been contemplating whether or not I want to paint my car this winter. I've decided that I'm definitely going to do it. I just bought all the paint, clear coat, reducer, and hardener...so, now it HAS to happen, ha.

I have a 99 Civic LX with 159K miles. I know...it's not my dream car. But, I've always been one to just find a good deal on a well running, well taken care of, reliable vehicle. I've never really had the desire to have a new car. I just don't want the hassle of taking care of it, or the payments. I pay cash...done.

So, I don't plan on getting rid of this car anytime soon...cause it's a great car, and has not a thing wrong with it. The ONLY thing wrong...is a couple spots where rust bubbles poked through. One on the hood, and one on the back door drivers side. It also was hit by an egg by some D bag throwing them around town last year.

It's metallic black....and I'm re-painting it the same color. I'm eager to start, it may get done in the fall, ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I pulled the trigger....

Sounds like a blast. Just better hope that it doesn't have the normal Honda rust. Meaning that it may look little on the surface, but underneath it could be a mess. But make sure to post pics of your project! It's always fun reading threads like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun project! Keep us updated with pics.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

You are a wise lad, Kris. Cash is king. Debt is a servant. Good luck with the paint job.

Post Thanks / Like

If this goes well you may have a nice service addition to your shop . Good luck man!

Also - were flipping those rims (I think in winter or spring) worth the time, product, and money?!?!?
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Be sure to lay the clear down a bit heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys...I basically just figured, why the hell not? Honestly...I'm not really doing it so that my car looks awesome (although that will be beneficial), I'm really doing it to get experience with wet sanding orange peel. I feel if any part of my detailing skills are lacking...it's probably in that area.

I've done panels to remove orange peel, like from a repair paint job for customers. But, I've never done a FULL blown orange peel removal. This is definitely something I'd like to do more of cause there's big money in it. I definitely want to just take my time and do it right. Plus, now I've got my van to drive around in while my car is being worked on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B&B Tennessee View Post
    If this goes well you may have a nice service addition to your shop . Good luck man!

Also - were flipping those rims (I think in winter or spring) worth the time, product, and money?!?!?
    Unfortunately...no. It WOULD have been profitable if they weren't machine polished and clear coated, ha. I did one of them, and it came out good...but it was too much work. I scrapped them for the same price I paid.

BUT, I did recently repair a set of aluminum rims on a classic Camaro that were sprayed with acid by some other detailer. Don't know if you saw that thread recently...but you should check that out. That was profitable for me cause they were uncoated aluminum and I was able to repair them. I removed all four and polished the hell out of them.

Camaro project by Northeast Detailing!

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Nice. Be sure to lay the clear down a bit heavy.
    I was planning on it! How many coats do you think would be sufficient? I would absolutely want to correct the paint many times. I know 2 coats is the norm...but I'd want more.

Post Thanks / Like

You're right, after purchasing the paints and other chemicals you are committed. Keeping the original color is a real smart idea.

What a great winter project to undertake and it will provide multiple benefits; it gives you invaluable insight on how to deal with orange peel (assuming you end up with some), keeps the debtor jailers away, gives you pride of doing a tough job and accomplishing it well and it will spruce up the Honda!

Do you have the paint gun, compressor, etc.? Have you ever painted a vehicle before? This is not to discourage you in the least, just the opposite. I've seen people who were supposed to know how to paint a car turn out junk and with your attention to detail I have no doubt this project will turn out better than you think it will.

I'll look forward to progress reports from time to time.

Go get 'em!!!

Last edited by mdb917; 09-09-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a booth to spray in?

Most paint jobs are ruined either by the surface not being clean enough.
    Crap in the air lines going to the gun. Could be moisture, dust, or oil.
    Crap in the air landing on the wet or still tacky paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast