autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Daily Driver Detail

I've been doing some searching and some reading and am trying to get as specific to my application as possible. Here are the details:

2008 Honda Accord (soft paint? Marysville, OH assembly, if it makes a diff.)
    Nighthawk Black Pearl (black in flat light, strong blue fleck up close/on angle)
    VERY daily driver (~45k+ miles a year, 95% highway)
    City parking (trees, bird droppings, road grime in the rain, no hose, etc.)
    All of the swirls, scratches and road rash you could ask for

NOTE: all of this will be done by hand

Here's what my process is looking like. I'm thinking it'll be close if not exactly what I'll do in the winter, but I wanted some feedback from the pros first.

Clean the car (PBs Super Slick n Suds)
    clay the car (ONR clay lube)
    Scratch-X (Swril-X in the past didn't do a whole lot)
    A pre-wax cleaner I have yet to purchase (thinking Pinnacle)
    Glaze (PBs Black Hole)
    Collinite 845
    Natty's Blue Paste Wax

Questions:

In general, how does this arsenal and schedule look?
    Will there be issues putting Collinite on top of the glaze?
    Will there be issues putting Natty's on top of the Collinite?
    Is there any cure time involved in between applications of the last 3 products?

What I'm going for is the most amount of protection I can get with what I have (all except the cleaner wax). I enjoy detaling my car, but longevity will be an issue in Philly's winter months (we still had snow on the ground until May this year).

I hope I'm not too "me first" with this kind of post, but I'm naturally apprehensive about doing all of this for naught, plus I'm not foolish enough to think that I'm not missing some simple details here and there. I also figure that not everyone has a garage or is this much of a daily driver.

I even have a couple of friends with this same model Accord out there...maybe there's a couple of bucks in it?

Thanks for everything folks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Daily Driver Detail

Wash - OK
    Clay - OK
    Scratch-X - If it didn't work in the past scrap it now
    Pre-Wax Cleaner - It's always a good idea to at a minimum clean the finish prior to applying a sealant or wax.
    Glaze - OK
    Collinite 845 - OK

Apply the glaze according to the instructions on the label then wait the recommended amount of time before applying the Collinite 845.

Applying Natty's on top of the Collinite 845 serves no purpose at all. Collinite 845 alone will provide 5 months of protection.

Prior to applying the wax you might want to look at a sealant, something like;

• Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
    • PRIMA Hydro-Seal
    • DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant
    • Four Star Ultimate Paint Protectio

Once the sealant has cured for 12 hours without having coming into contact with water apply a cost of Collinite 845..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Scratch-X - If it didn't work in the past scrap it now

Thanks for the quick response Bobby (slow day at work...this helps!).

I've tried Swirl-X in the past and didn't see a whole lot of improvement. My thinking is that Scratch-X will offer a little more "cut"? I have tested a spot with it in the past and saw some improvement, but definitely want to know your thoughts about that as well.

As for a sealant, I have PB's EX-P sealant.

As for the wax on top of the Collinite, my thought process led me to this thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ndary-wax.html

...and in particular, topping the Collinite with Fuzion. Is the process just not necessary or is it the product itself (Natty's instead of Fuzion)? I'm not worried about "not necessary" becasuse I plan on dedicating a weekend to this, but obviously I want to make sure I'm not removing any Collinite or sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Pre-Wax Cleaner - It's always a good idea to at a minimum clean the finish prior to applying a sealant or wax[/B]
    Could you please clear this up for me. Expand on it even.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    Could you please clear this up for me. Expand on it even.
    thanks
    Using a pre-wax cleaner after polishing but before sealing/waxing just ensures that all polishing oils are removed so your sealant or wax has a clean surface to bond to, maximizing its durability.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

You may be amazed by the clay step.

I use Scratch X for small areas with success but never for a large correction. You might consider Megs Ultimate Compound with a little more cut. You might consider the OTC Ultimate Polish before or instead of the prewax cleaner.

The prewax cleaner will proably provide similar results to the glaze in your case or use the Glaze instead after the polish.

Collinite should be a fine wax. You can choose a topper wax as you wish. I have not used the Natty's. Fuzion is a very nice wax. You may be happy with Collinite alone.

Experimenting should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    Thanks for the quick response Bobby (slow day at work...this helps!).

I've tried Swirl-X in the past and didn't see a whole lot of improvement. My thinking is that Scratch-X will offer a little more "cut"? I have tested a spot with it in the past and saw some improvement, but definitely want to know your thoughts about that as well.

As for a sealant, I have PB's EX-P sealant.

As for the wax on top of the Collinite, my thought process led me to this thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ndary-wax.html

...and in particular, topping the Collinite with Fuzion. Is the process just not necessary or is it the product itself (Natty's instead of Fuzion)? I'm not worried about "not necessary" becasuse I plan on dedicating a weekend to this, but obviously I want to make sure I'm not removing any Collinite or sealant.