autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cutting Pad to remove waterspots on glass?

Finally found what works decently to remove spots, #0000 steel wool and AIO. Seems to only work if I put a little on the wool and rub the glass like hell, if I put it straight on the glass with a polishing pad, the wool doesn't seem to do anything (which I actually thought would work with AIO sitting on it a bit to break down the etching). BUT my arms are killing me (almost hard to turn the steering wheel when driving lol).

Is there an easier way I was thinking of picking up the spot buff kit at AG and still not sure of the pad's will cut it to remove the waterspot etching. I was just worried about scratching the glass. My front windshield definitley needs it (the areas where the wipers don't clean).

Any help
    Last edited by Surfer; 05-01-2006 at 09:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html
    DP Glass Restorer and a polishing pad will do the trip if you have a DA Polisher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan
    DP Glass Restorer and a polishing pad will do the trip if you have a DA Polisher.
    Saw that but not sure if it would be strong enough. That's why I was thinking getting of getting the spot buff kit (which might help anyway on parts of the trucks/cars that are to small for my edge 6" pads). Would the 4" orange pad and AIO do a good job?

Some of the waterspots have been on there for a while, especially where the windshield wipers miss.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't personally tried AIO, where I park the sprinklers get my one side on occasion so I tried the DP. It worked great so I haven't really used anything else on the water spots since. But I am sure if you give the thread time someone who has used AIO will help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't their some type of chemical that you can use. I've seen someone use it once, but I forgot what it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan

This is a great combo and works well. Visit the corvetteforum and Bugman for a detailed writeup. He used on wifes truck with burnt in waterspots, and it was amazing. Using something like Quikshine after each wash on the glass also makes for some good protection. http://81x.com/bugman/c6 (see scratch/spot)
    Last edited by ScottB; 05-01-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    This is a great combo and works well. Visit the corvetteforum and Bugman for a detailed writeup. He used on wifes truck with burnt in waterspots, and it was amazing. Using something like Quikshine after each wash on the glass also makes for some good protection.
    Will do, do you think an orange pad will be to harsh? I've seen others do it with regular 6" pads with no harm. I just never used DP glass restorer so not sure of how strong or abrassive it is?

Thanks for the help guys. My arms are seriously sore, feels like I've been wakeboarding 24/7 for a week straight
    Last edited by Surfer; 05-01-2006 at 05:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek
    This is a great combo and works well. Visit the corvetteforum and Bugman for a detailed writeup. He used on wifes truck with burnt in waterspots, and it was amazing. Using something like Quikshine after each wash on the glass also makes for some good protection.
    I am setting up to do glass with the rotary buffer, Meguiar's 04 Heavy Cut Cleaner and a W7006 pad this weekend. Unless someone wants to warn me off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCoupe
    I am setting up to do glass with the rotary buffer, Meguiar's 04 Heavy Cut Cleaner and a W7006 pad this weekend. Unless someone wants to warn me off.
    I had somebody else tell me that on autopia, but I don't know, from what they said it's very strong/abbrassive?
    Last edited by Surfer; 05-02-2006 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Years ago they use to suggest using toothpaste to polish a glass window. Obviously not very abrasive so I would start with a finishing polish prior to jumping to a heavy cut type polish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast