autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: sand pitting

Post Thanks / Like

sand pitting

I was correcting the paint on my 2003 VW Jetta using Optimum Hyper Compound II with a purple Kompressor pad on a GG 6" DA on speed 6. Afterwards, I noticed small pinpoint spots that reflect light (see attachment). Upon closer inspection, I saw that they are tiny little divets in the paint.

There was a time when my vehicle was parked outdoors and the paint was not cared for, and occasionally exposed to some pretty bad sandstorms. I suspect that is the source of the pitting/etching in the paint.

I'm thinking that I have two options: additional aggressive correction, or filling in the defects. So I have a few questions:
    -How aggressive would I have to be to correct these little pits? Would additional compounding do the job, or would this only be correctable with sanding?
    -Do people have any recommendations on a good glaze/filler that would be compatible with either Klasse HGSG sealant, Wolfgang DGP sealant 3.0, Ultima PGP sealant or Collinite 845 wax?

I definitely don't want to resort to sanding, and I'd rather not proceed with aggressive compounding. My inclination would be to fill in and seal the defects, if possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sand pitting-img_0356-sand-pitting-etching-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: sand pitting

If they are pits, I dont think any type of compounding is going to help.

Are they rock chip type pits?
    Jacob

Post Thanks / Like

They appear to be pits or chips which may have breached the clear or possibly the color. If this is the case Dr Color-Chip may work and if not successful then it's time to repaint..

Wet sanding then polishing could help hide some of the defect then filling what's left with sealant or carnauba should minimize them..

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

They don't appear to be rock chips. Most of them are really tiny, and you can't feel them with a fingernail. They cover the whole vehicle. The pits have not breached the colored paint (they look white because they're reflecting light from the ceiling, but if you look at them in person they're not actually white at the base).

I don't have any experience wet sanding, and I'm reluctant to try it. The idea of putting a sanding disk to paint makes me cringe a little. BobbyG - if I were to change my mind, could you point me to a good resource to learn how to do it?

My preference would be to fill in the defects. Does anybody have any recommendations on a good glaze or filler product for this job?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alfadub View Post
    They don't appear to be rock chips. Most of them are really tiny, and you can't feel them with a fingernail. They cover the whole vehicle. The pits have not breached the colored paint (they look white because they're reflecting light from the ceiling, but if you look at them in person they're not actually white at the base).
    From the sounds of things these defects could be the result of improper surface preparation prior to painting.

I don't have any experience wet sanding, and I'm reluctant to try it. The idea of putting a sanding disk to paint makes me cringe a little. BobbyG - if I were to change my mind, could you point me to a good resource to learn how to do it?
    Mike Phillips did a nice article on the art of wet sanding...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...echniques.html

My preference would be to fill in the defects. Does anybody have any recommendations on a good glaze or filler product for this job?

Menzerna Finishing Glaze - Menzerna Finishing Glaze PO 115C 32 oz.
    Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze - Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze can be applied any time to hide minor imperfections and to enhance gloss on black, red, and all dark vehicles.

Glazes do work but offer no protection and are temporary. After applying a glaze according to the manufactures directions buff to a high gloss and the following day add a coat of wax.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your help, Bobby!

I notice on the menzerna glaze product page, autogeek recommends using the Wolfgang sealant to top it off. I assume someone at autogeek has used that combination before, so it gives me some comfort in knowing the two products aren't totally incompatible.

In your experience, have you found the longevity of sealants or waxes significantly decreased by the application of a glaze beneath it? I think the topic's been discussed and debated elsewhere on the forums, but I'd be interested in what you've observed.