autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tires still brown after scrubbing...

So, last night I decided to try and clean the wife's tires before it got too dark. Used Poorboy's APC (5:1 dilution), let it dwell for 3-5 minutes, then scrubbed with a stiff nylon bristle wheel brush. Checked them out this morning in the light and they are still brown. This combo usually works really well on my tires, so I was surprised at how brown her tires still were.

Should I try a stronger ratio of the PB's APC, maybe 2:1? I think once my PB's APC runs out, I might get some ARO or OPC, but for now I want to work with what I have.

Any thoughts\suggestions\experience with PB's APC and tire cleaning appreciated. Tires will be protected with either OptiBond Tire Gel or UTTG once I get them clean.

Thank You,
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tires still brown after scrubbing...

I definitely recomend the ARO for tires once you are ready for something new.

Going with what you have now: I usually wash the tires twice with my nylon brush and then during the rinse phase I use a mf towel to go over them quick once again while the water is rinsing over them. If this doesn't do it then the product isn't up to the task.

I would recomend Opti-bond out of the two dressings you mentioned. It looks great! If durability is more important than looks the UTTG is the better of your two options.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cee Dog. I might try a stronger ratio for her tires since I don't get to them as often as mine. I might go ahead and get some ARO and use up the APC for interior cleaning (a BOGO on ARO would be nice....)

The Optibon does look good, but I might go with the UTTG as we get closer to winter for the extra durability. Also keeping an eye on your PERL review for durability. Those 3 coats looked amazing!

Thanks,
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rockford33 View Post
    Thanks Cee Dog. I might try a stronger ratio for her tires since I don't get to them as often as mine. I might go ahead and get some ARO and use up the APC for interior cleaning (a BOGO on ARO would be nice....)

The Optibon does look good, but I might go with the UTTG as we get closer to winter for the extra durability. Also keeping an eye on your PERL review for durability. Those 3 coats looked amazing!

Thanks,
    Neil
    Sounds good Neil! Well, its rained the last two days in a row and rained for a few minutes today with more coming. So far tires still look good (especially the 2 and 3 layers) Looking forward to how they look at 1 and 2 weeks. If it cpntinues to rain like this everyday 1 week will have me happy. Gotta put together a wheel with DP and PERL side by side too!

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Cee Dog,
    Have you ever tried layering different tire dressings? not sure if it would be economical, but just thinking of putting on UTTG, and layering OptiBond or something (less expensive) on top as a sacrificial layer. Kind of like putting wax over a sealant. Then you could always top dress with the less expensive dressing but always have some protection on the tire if you can't get to it (like during the winter....)

Just curious

-Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rockford33 View Post
    Cee Dog,
    Have you ever tried layering different tire dressings? not sure if it would be economical, but just thinking of putting on UTTG, and layering OptiBond or something (less expensive) on top as a sacrificial layer. Kind of like putting wax over a sealant. Then you could always top dress with the less expensive dressing but always have some protection on the tire if you can't get to it (like during the winter....)

Just curious

-Neil
    Neil, I've thought about topping UTTG with DP or Opti in the past but never tried it. I had never really even layered one on itself until PERL. Well, I take that back I may have tried it with DP before but don't remember the results. PERL is designed to work well with layering on itself but I'm not sure how it would bond with something like UTTG.

I think you have a good idea. Try putting down a coat of your UTTG followed by your Opti like you said. Mostly for the look though. I wouldn't worry too much about the protection aspect. The uttg would have that covered on it's own. I'd be curious on how well the Opti bonds to the uttg though.

Corey

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used the Pb's APC, but some APC's just don't seem to do much for browning, even at full strength. Also, as Cee Dog alluded to, even with a cleaner that works well, multiple applications may be required. So I'd try a stronger concentration of the APC and some more scrubbing (sorry). Just out of curiosity, what tire dressing have you been using on that car?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I haven't used the Pb's APC, but some APC's just don't seem to do much for browning, even at full strength. Also, as Cee Dog alluded to, even with a cleaner that works well, multiple applications may be required. So I'd try a stronger concentration of the APC and some more scrubbing (sorry). Just out of curiosity, what tire dressing have you been using on that car?
    I think I will try 1:1 this weekend and see if that does any better. But I definitely see some ARO in my future since her tires seem to brown easily (mine don't even though I think both cars have Continental tires...)

I have been using OptiBond Tire Gel mixed 1:1 and using through a Preval sprayer (self contained compressed air sprayer from Home Depot, pretty cool but disposable). I think I mixed in some PB's bold n Bright too since I had a little left over and was curious as to what the two mixed together might do or look like (btw, didn' see much difference in terms of looks or durability with mixing).

I think once I get the tires nice and clean, I will put on some UTTG (which might be a pain since the tires have those little tiny ribs all the way around the sidewall), and then top it with some OptiBond for looks and just to test things out

-Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Some dressings seem more prone to create/allow browning, but that might just be my imagination. In my imagination they seem to be the ones that are more greasy feeling (which Opti-Bond certainly isn't).

Post Thanks / Like

Cee Dog, what are those applicators that you used in your PERL review? Looks like some kind of pad that was cut up. I have some old LC yellow polishing pads that I no longer use (6.5" pads, switched to 5.5" since I have been reading that they are easier to use with first gen PC7424) that I was thinking of cutting up to use as tire applicators.

I'll probably use the applicator that came with the UTTG for putting that on the tires.

-Neil

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast