autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ivan's Sale: Flex 3401 vs. Griot Kit

Hello all!

I've looked through a lot of different threads comparing DA polishers, but I can't quite come to a decision on which one best fits my circumstances.

I've been hand washing my cars for several years now (wash, clay, wax), but would like to get a DA and start working on things like polishing. With the current sale going on, there are two very nice kits available:

Griot's Garage Wolfgang Swirl Free Kit

and

FLEX XC3401 VRG Dual Action 6.5 inch Pad Kit

I've heard good things about both DA's. The Griot is supposed to be more newbie-friendly, and the kit comes with a polish and a glaze. It's also supposed to work better than the Flex with Meg's new microfiber system, which I may want to try at some point in time. It also has a lifetime warranty.

The Flex, well...I don't know much about it. Other than it's seen as a quality product and highly recommended. The Griot seems like the better fit, but I want to be sure I buy right the first time and not end up having to buy a second DA in the near future.

Currently reading/watching the write-up by Mike Phillips on how to select a polisher, but as this sale is time sensitive, any feedback ahead of time is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Both have their followers and both have their pros and cons. I would probably order the griots if I had to pick one today because I'm on a tight budget, I love meg's mf pads, and I don't do a ton of cars to justify the cost of the flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ivan's Sale: Flex 3401 vs. Griot Kit

From what I gather from Mike's write ups and videos, the Griot and Flex are very similar. The Griot is easier to learn, but the Flex has more correction ability (Random Orbital vs. Forced Rotation).

But how significant is the difference in correction ability? You would think if the Flex was clearly superior to the Griots then...well, you wouldn't see many people recommending the Griot's.

Also, The cost of the Flex kit is nearly double the Griots kit - what makes the Flex worth that extra moolah?

Post Thanks / Like

Griots has a lifetime warranty too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark2dx View Post
    From what I gather from Mike's write ups and videos, the Griot and Flex are very similar. The Griot is easier to learn, but the Flex has more correction ability (Random Orbital vs. Forced Rotation).

But how significant is the difference in correction ability? You would think if the Flex was clearly superior to the Griots then...well, you wouldn't see many people recommending the Griot's.

Also, The cost of the Flex kit is nearly double the Griots kit - what makes the Flex worth that extra moolah?
    The Megs MF kit takes the GG DA to a new level for correction. I have both because I got a great deal on a used Flex. Personally I would forgo the kit and get the Megs MF System and a few extra set of pads. I wish they had it when I started. Hope this helps!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the 6.5" pads for the Griots is a bit much. My Griots turns a 5.5" pad just fine but I can bog it down. I can't imagine how easy it would be to bog it down with 6.5" pads.

I've heards they'll do the same deal but swap for 5.5" pads if ya ask nicely. I won't guarantee that though.

I forgot to mention you'll need a 5" backing plate for the LC 5.5" pads.
    Last edited by Tyrod; 08-26-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    The Megs MF kit takes the GG DA to a new level for correction. I have both because I got a great deal on a used Flex. Personally I would forgo the kit and get the Megs MF System and a few extra set of pads. I wish they had it when I started. Hope this helps!

Just have to jump in and ask because I never really looked at the newer DA's. I'm still rocking an older 7424, non XP PC. How does that GG compare in correction to it and does it still get the 5.5" pad recommendation due to not having the forced rotation of the Flex?

Post Thanks / Like

The more I look at the Griot kit, the more I like it. I've always had the Wolfgang Twins in my mind for correction on my 300ZX, and the Estate wax that comes with the kit is just icing on the cake.

AND since the kit is half the cost of the Flex, I could get the 3 inch mini polisher and have complete coverage for my (or any) vehicle.

Very very close to being sold on it, but I'll wait a bit longer to see if there is a case to be made for the Flex

Post Thanks / Like
    I say forget the mini3 and just get the small backplate 3.5? and use 4" pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by poweraid View Post
    I say forget the mini3 and just get the small backplate 3.5? and use 4" pads.
    along with 5 " bp for 5.5 pads

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast