autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do All-In-One's Apply Like Standard Wax?

Hello all! Long time reader, third time poster.

I did a basic exterior detail (by hand) on my Nissan 300ZX and performed the following steps:

1. Wash with DP Rinseless
    2. Dried with Cobra Guzzlers
    3. Waxed with Poorboy’s World Polish with Carnauba (BLUE) using the red CSS applicators.

I also did the glass and the wheels, but this question is about paint.

I know Mike Phillips advocates applying Carnuba Wax in a vertical motion in the same path air would travel across the car, but does this apply to AIO's as well? I ask because the particular AIO I used recommends applying in a circular motion and I'm not sure why.

I also ask because I noticed some pretty extensive swirling on my paint after the product was used. Granted the car is my daily and in dire need of a multi-step polish, but the swirls seem to stand out quite a bit more. Some of these "swirls" also appear to travel in a linear path (along the same path I applied the AIO), but this result is not consistent across the entire car.

Perhaps I'm just noticing them more because I used a product with a polish component? Any input is appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do All-In-One's Apply Like Standard Wax?

What type of all in one do you have?

From the AIO"s I have used all have mild abrasives and they usually clean the paint, polish the paint and protect the paint. I believe the main reason they say to work in a circular fashion is to work the abrasives until they dissapear. IMO you might not have worked the AIO too long for the abrasives to dissapear, thus you might have induced some marring. I would try to work the polish some more, in a circular motion.
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

I used Poorboy's World Polish with Carnuba. I was thinking the same thing too - with the abrasives it might be better to work them in a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Try to work a panel for a bit longer and see if the results fix up. Just note that All in one polishes do have their limitations as well. The cut on them is not enough to remove heavy swirls or RIDS but my customers still ask for the AIO's often. Right now I have been using Poli-Seal on my orbital and that polish you have to work until it literally dissapears.
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely. I had no expectation that the product would leave my finish swirl-free, I just wanted to know the correct application method so I can avoid putting swirls into the paint in future applications.

Would you recommend working the product in the next time I wash the car, or did you mean apply it on top of the current layer of wax and try to work it in to the areas that appear to be marred?

Post Thanks / Like

While I am a machine polish type of person I have rarely polished or compounded by hand. It might just take some practice and getting used to, for circular hand appications.

It is up to you if you want to redo the whole car again. If it were me I would just wait until the wax starts to wear off a bit this way you can see more of the marring. And by doing this you would also save product. But this is entirely up to you!
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll wait until the next wash, and add in a clay step to boot.

I'll soon be a machine type of person as well, holding off until Friday's sale to see what kind of kits show up

Post Thanks / Like

Update on this topic: I sent an e-mail directly to Poor Boy's inquiring about application method for this product. While I'll be trying the circular application method next time around, I think it would be helpful to get an official word on any potential dangers of applying this stuff in a straight up and down fashion.

Once I get a response I'll be sure to post it in the thread

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update Mark. Let us know what they end up saying
    Roland

Post Thanks / Like

You can always go over your paint with a swirl mark remover. There are many products available for this. I prefer 3M's professional line, but Sonus and others also have good products for this task.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast