autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What Compounds, Polish Etc?

Hello,

Looking to get a kit together....I have looked through the charts, threads, posts etc and am still confused on which brands and lines within the brands I should get. This is all very foreign to me. I took a guess on what I should get with the Flex 3401 and it is as follows:

Menzerna Fav Four Kit, Menzerna polishing compounds, car polishes, car polish kit, menzerna polishes, final polish, nano polish

XMT Swirl Remover Bundle, XMT polishes, Pinnacle XMT compounds

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads

Is this a good kit? Or is it too much to get started....Please don't ask why I chose this over something else. I am really just trying to figure it out. Again, I have seen the charts, but figured it may be easier for a newb like myself to buy these "packs" Verse buying individual's.

Any and all help would be great!!!!

THX

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Compounds, Polish Etc?

Welcome to the site.

Unless you plan to purchase the smaller size backing plate for the Flex 3401 you will want to go with 6.5 inch pads instead of the 5.5 inch ones that you have linked in your above posting. The edge of the backing plate will be exposed with the 5.5 inch pads potentially running a risk of damaging the paint. the 6.5 inch pads work perfect on the OEM Flex backing plate.

The Menzerna kit would be the better kit to get concerning the polishes and compounds. If you will be working on super hard paints such as Ceramiclear or Corvette paint (a lot of newer cars are getting these really hard high solids paints) you may want to look into a bottle of Meguiars M-105 in addition to the Menzerna kit. Menzerna also has some polishes for Ceramiclear but I am not sure what the product identification numbers are on them.

The Menzerna compounds and polishes are designed for use with a rotary polisher so you will likely have to work them a little longer to get the best results because the abrasives in them must be worked until fully broke down or diminished. They will be rather user friendly but remember that if you aren't getting the clarity you desire you may not be working them long enough. If you don't understand what I am talking about, search and read about diminishing abrasives vs. non diminishing abrasives (or DAT vs. SMAT) Mike Phillips has written some nice articles that explain the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

What charts are you talking about?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I am new here as well and just went through the process of deciding what I needed for a car that has a hard clear coat and needed a lot of work. With the wide range of products available its not easy to decide what to use, and I found that I needed to start by asking myself what was I trying to accomplish? I don't hear that asked often.

I decided to go with M105 and used the LC 6 1/2" orange flat pads used on a flex 3401, the 5 1/2 pads will be to small. I was very happy with the results that I got with this combination.

I followed up with M205 with a LC 6 1/2" white flat pad to finish the polishing.

One question that I never hear asked is how much correction are you trying to make? A compound like M105 is aggressive for a lot of correction but if your paint is in good shape to start with and you only want to make a minor correction then there are other products that could work. I have another car that I would never use M105 on because its not needed.

So I would suggest look at the vehicle that you are going to work on and decide what you want to accomplish and then find the product that will accomplish it.

And when you start the correction take your time and don't expect it to be perfect on the first pass.
    2007 Le Mans Blue Corvette Coupe M6 Z51
    2004 Victory Red Avalanche

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you read through the boards you will see fairly consistent recommendations for:
    1. M105
    2. M205
    3. Menz P085RD
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies. What is M105 etc? I am sure is short for something I just know so little I don't know what it is. So if you guys could spell the whole thing out and not the slang term or just numbers it would help! Thx.....Truckbutt, who makes that stuff? Or is it made by everyone, but different companies put their spin on it? Wild.Bill, I guess I could buy a different back plate or not? I have been reading and it seems most people prefer the 5.5" pads. Am I wrong?

I will be using this on a silver 01 Acura CL. It is silver. Paint is in good-great shape. Just have never buffed it. Also will be used on a dark blue 05 lexus and a 02 brown Suburban. Friends cars too perhaps?

You guys are referring to correction. I have no clue what that means or how to "rate" what "level" I need and what compound/polish corresponds to it....

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars 105: Meguiars Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound 32 oz. New D.A. Version

Meguiars 205: Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish, final polish, Meguiars polishes, car polish, 205 FP

Menzerna P085RD: Menzerna Polish PO85RD, Mernzerna 85rd, Menzerna finish po85rd

Before you start, I suggest you read all the great articles in Mike Phillips sections. Everything you need to know to get started is in there. Going from the occasional All-in One to detailing is a process of learning through reading and practicing. It's an effort and it's time consuming. But, it's well worth it.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

You can change the backing plate on the Flex to a smaller on that will take the 5 1/2" pads, but I like the 6 1/2" pads. on the Flex.

You will see lots of people that like to use the 5 1/2" plates on the Porter Cable buffer because it has much less power. The Porter Cable does not have forced rotation like the Flex and you can have a hard time keeping the pad 6 1/2" rotating.

You are doing the right thing, read a-lot and ask lots of questions.
    2007 Le Mans Blue Corvette Coupe M6 Z51
    2004 Victory Red Avalanche

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by payj View Post
    What is M105?
    Try this thread, "AG"???. It talks about the many acronyms we use here at AG (AutoGeek). There is also a really cool feature toward the top of the forum. It is the SEARCH function. I use it all the time.