autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any advice on maintaining a matte black decal?

How To Maintain Matte Black Decals?

I wanted to ask if anyone has some advice on maintaining matte black decals?

I just purchased a new black ops jeep wrangler and I'm comfortable with detailing the paint and trim, but I have no idea how to maintain the large matte black decal on the hood.

It is a distinctive and prominent feature of the jeeps finish and want to keep it as new looking as possible long term.

Any advice would be welcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any advice on maintaining a matte black decal?

Some have used Ultima tire and trim guard with great results!

Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus, tire & trim protectant, tire dressing, rubber protectant
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Like Jim said, I use UTTG on my mustang stripes

Post Thanks / Like

PoorBoy's trim Restorer and Surf City Black Max.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 01GreyStangGT View Post
    PoorBoy's trim Restorer and Surf City Black Max.
    I have found PB Trim Restore to run. I wouldn't suggest that. Never used the Surf City stuff.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac2087 View Post
    I wanted to ask if anyone has some advice on maintaining matte decals. I just purchased a new black ops jeep wrangler and I'm comfortable with detailing the paint and trim, but I have no idea how to maintain the large matte black decal on the hood. It is a distinctive and prominent feature of the jeeps finish and want to keep it as new looking as possible long term. Any advice would be welcome!
    Mike Phillips did a post a few years ago on MOL titled "How to create a dark sheen on flat black plastic". Don't know if he's migrated the article to AGO, I didn't find it. They used Meg's Gold Class Trim Detailer... the liquid... on flat black louvers and rear spoiler on a Mustang. Might be something worth exploring for your Jeep.

I expect Mike will probably be along to either link or repost that article.

TL

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    Mike Phillips did a post a few years ago on MOL titled "How to create a dark sheen on flat black plastic". Don't know if he's migrated the article to AGO, I didn't find it. They used Meg's Gold Class Trim Detailer... the liquid... on flat black louvers and rear spoiler on a Mustang. Might be something worth exploring for your Jeep.

I expect Mike will probably be along to either link or repost that article.

TL
    I haven't re-created either of my threads on working with flat or matte surfaces just due to the amount of watermarked photos in each thread.

Here's the link to my comments and suggestions on this process, I always ask people to READ the words carefully as I pick and choose my words for everything I post very carefully and for this particular article it's important.

Don't use products that dry and especially don't use products that dry white...

Working on vinyl graphics is tricky, what you want is something that first... wont cause any harm, second will improve and/or maintain the original color usually with an emphasis on bringing out the full richness of color.

I've used Meguiar's Trim Detailer for years with good luck including rubbing down the original vinyl graphics on an all original 1982 Corvette.

Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer is for restoring and maintaining rubber, plastic and vinyl trim, so while it's not specifically made for vinyl graphics I've had pretty good luck with it.

Always test in an inconspicuous area before applying to the entire surface. Make sure you're getting the results you want and hope for before moving forward. In the case of an antique, it's a good idea to let some time go by to the test area before applying to the rest of the surface. This applies to any product you use on vinyl graphics.

The way to use it is to gently massage this product onto the surface using a clean, soft foam applicator pad, somewhat like you would rub skin lotion onto our face. Allow to penetrate for a few minutes and then softly wipe all surfaces down with a clean microfiber to remove any excess residue off the surface.

Here's a link to an article with some very detailed answers that pertain exactly to your issues, and I always ask people to read my replies very carefully as they are worded very carefully.

How To Maintain Vinyl Graphics/Stickers/Stripes/Decals

Post Thanks / Like

I, until recently, have never used anything on my Super Bee's decals and just left them untouched.

Last weekend I decided to top the whole car with Opti-Seal this includes the paint, moldings, as well as the decals.

I like the results as they have a nice satin sheen not at all glossy like I see some pictures of vehicles with wax/sealant on them.

Plus I don't have to tape off all the decals which my car has a ton of.

Jeff

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JCturboT View Post

I, until recently, have never used anything on my Super Bee's decals and just left them untouched.

Last weekend I decided to top the whole car with Opti-Seal this includes the paint, moldings, as well as the decals.
    From the picture the car looks great! Did the Opti-Seal restore a dark sheen or leave the actual richness of the matte black alone?

Quote Originally Posted by JCturboT View Post
    not at all glossy like I see some pictures of vehicles with wax/sealant on them.

I've never seen waxes or sealants turn matte black surfaces glossy, just opaque and whitish with stains.

The product I've used up till now just leaves a darker, richer, matte sheen, no gloss, just what most people want, a dark, uniform appearance.

Most products either don't change the appearance, or stain it. Over time, the black matte surface, whatever it is, be it paint or a graphic sticker of some type, tend to dull and loose their dark richness of color.

So the trick is finding something that restores the dark matte look without making it shiny, glossy, gooey, or staining it.

It's easy to take care of a matte surface that's brand new... but over time the surface will become dull and lifeless.

Here's a tip for any lurkers reading this... this was written about car paint but you can apply it towards any surface and any product... the point being to,

"Find something you like and use it often"

Excerpt from the above article,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips
    Here's what that means,

If you like a product, that usually means you like the experience of using it which includes application, that is you like how the product applies. It also tends to mean you like how the product removes, that is you like how the product wipes-off. It can also mean you like how fast or slow it dries or the fact that it doesn't have to dry at all and you can wipe it off immediately.

And usually and most important, it means you like how it makes the paint on your car look and that's a huge part of the big picture of owning and enjoying your car, truck or s.u.v. or special interest car.

You can't really know which product you like best until you've used a variety of products so finding something you like and using it often means you have to do some research and at some point make some purchases and then go out into your garage and do some testing to gain real world knowledge and experience.

At some point you will find a product you like and if you use it often then your car's paint will always look good because it's only when you neglect your car's paint that it goes downhill.

Post Thanks / Like

off topic: nice jeep. like it so far. 2 or 4 door? heard and have been reading the new penstar engine is a hit in the new 2012. proabably in the manual on how to care for the matte black decals. if i remember on the hood decal on the mountian models, it stated just to use a quick detailer.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast