autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

LSP Ready - Definition

LSP Ready - Definition

LSP Ready
    A term used to describe the condition of paint that is ready to be sealed with a car wax, a paint sealant or a coating. A paint finish that is LSP ready means that any above surfaces bonded contaminants have been removed and the majority of below surface defects that can be safely removed have been removed leaving behind a predominantly defect-free surface that meets the car owner's or the detailers expectations for finish quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LSP Ready - Definition

i believe the word is bump

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't this the way everyone does it?

Wax seal or wax over gravel?

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

It's a term that most of us in the forum world use and know but we have a lot of new lurkers and members and I've seen people ask what the term means so I added it to the glossary of the e-book.

Keep in mind that our reach into the TV world is bringing people that don't normally hang out on detailing discussion forums so all the acronyms and terms that we all take for granted are new and sometimes confusing for people coming to AGO from the TV world.

We also have some other new touch-points we're venturing into that will act to bring even more people to AGO that again, don't normally hang out on discussion forums.

A lot of times when I post anything to any forum, the focus is a bigger picture than just the person I'm interacting with. There's no way of knowing how many lurkers visit this forum everyday and there's a good change they're new to detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

People say LSP which means Last Step Product but its very often not really the last step product in the manner people use the term. People say my LSP is such and such a nano or urethane coating or polymer sealant but they put a wax over it so the wax is actually the LSP. Just something silly that always stops me from using the term much.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    People say LSP which means Last Step Product but its very often not really the last step product in the manner people use the term. People say my LSP is such and such a nano or urethane coating or polymer sealant but they put a wax over it so the wax is actually the LSP. Just something silly that always stops me from using the term much.
    I stopped using those silly acronyms after the Army because I spent 30% more time explaining what they stood for...

If I need to say Sealant I say Sealant, if I need to say Wax I just say Wax...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I stopped using those silly acronyms after the Army because I spent 30% more time explaining what they stood for...

If I need to say Sealant I say Sealant, if I need to say Wax I just say Wax...
    Thanks Bobby. That helps newbies like me that that try to learn and use the acronyms to understand what is being taught and to try to fit in.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by truckbutt View Post
    Thanks Bobby. That helps newbies like me that that try to learn and use the acronyms to understand what is being taught and to try to fit in.

I'm more or less a speed typist so I'll normally type out all the words like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 instead of the acronym WDGPS 3.0 but one thing I know after being on forums since about 1994 is that acronym's are never going away...

This thread really wasn't' about acronyms though... it was just a simple thread to explain what the term LSP ready means for newbies and lurkers... that's all.

Post Thanks / Like

Why does it include the statement about the "majority" of sub-surface scratches? I think the latter part of the sentence "meets the car owner's or the detailers expectations for finish quality" basically sums it up.

From the definition, I see it as the transition from paint cleaning/correction phase (usually non-abrasive and abrasive cleaners) to products that add gloss, etc. although some glazes (polishes by some product makers) can continue to clean while adding gloss.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Why does it include the statement about the "majority" of sub-surface scratches?
    Normally, if a person is doing any type of correction work the majority of swirls and scratches are removed because the majority of swirls and scratches are shallow, not deep. And at the level most people get to after hanging out on a forum for long enough to wonder what the term LSP Ready means they've moved up to machine polishing and something I type all the time goes like this,

It actually takes more skill to remove swirls and scratches by hand than it does by machine

The point being that even a complete newbie to machine polishing can remove a majority of the shallow swirls and scratches when working even with the simplest of tools the PC style tools.

Good question though Al...

I think the latter part of the sentence "meets the car owner's or the detailers expectations for finish quality" basically sums it up.
    That was worded very carefully. I'm a veteran of flame wars and wax wars on discussion forums. My normal typing style is defensive, that means if I post something to the public forum, you can bet I've already made sure it's bullet-proof and flame-proof and open to challenge. For some reason, a handful of people will try to make a mountain out of a molehill meaning they'll try to tear something apart over their perception and opinion of the meaning of a single word. Been there and done that too many times.

From the definition, I see it as the transition from paint cleaning/correction phase (usually non-abrasive and abrasive cleaners) to products that add gloss, etc. although some glazes (polishes by some product makers) can continue to clean while adding gloss.
    I believe the term can have different meanings depending upon the perspective of the person getting ready to apply their LSP.

The bigger picture is just that the term means that the paint is now ready to be waxed, or sealed or coated.

Again, some lurkers or newbies might not know what the term LSP ready means so I added it to the glossary of my e-book and posted this little thread about it today.

I like to be liquid though so I'm open to suggestions all the time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast