autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage Options

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Storage Options

Hey everyone I have another question. I live with my parents and I keep most of my detailing stuff in my room. I'm looking for some kind of shelving unit to put in the garage to store all my detailing stuff. I would like something with doors to help keep dust off all my pads, MF's, ect. I don't know if I have the money to buy a steel one so plastic would be more economical and easier to move if need be. Thanks!
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Storage Options

Um, what's the question? I use metal shelving. I think you can get the plastic ones fairly cheap at HD Or lowes. I also use those plastic shelves that roll around. I got those from targert.

Post Thanks / Like

Lowes and HD both have plastic garage cabinets with doors that I'm looking at. EnviroElements brand at Lowes, for example is $80 for 6' 2 door. Counter height is under $60.

No direct experience but I'm looking hard at this kind of cabinet.
    Mike at www.GreatReflections.biz
    Vancouver, WA's convenient Mobile Detailer comes to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have any room under your bed? If so, you can always buy some clear plastic storage containers that slide right under...

Post Thanks / Like

Last October I bought a Suncast C7200 for $120 w/free shipping from Amazon. I see the price has gone up substantially since then, but I shopped around for about a month until the price came down. So, if you're in no great hurry..........

Amazon.com: Suncast C7200 Storage Trends Utility Tall Cabinet: Home & Garden

Post Thanks / Like
    well I don't know how cold it get there . but if it gets below freezing I don't keep any of my detailing stuff in garage I bring it all back in the house. I'm in Wisconsin so it gets pretty cold here. storage , sure plastic shelving fairly cheap . I ended up getting better more stronger shelving cause I had too much stuff , too much weight on the shelves and then it was saggin . the gallon container are heavy specially when u got 10 of em. I bought clear bins to keep all my pads organized. I use storage bins to keep my odd and ends in , applicators brushes . both da's in a bin , all my mf towels are in plastic bags in bins . I use a closet coat rack to hold all my spray bottles . idk I've always been too organized and nit pickity clean .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poweraid View Post
    well I don't know how cold it get there . but if it gets below freezing I don't keep any of my detailing stuff in garage I bring it all back in the house. I'm in Wisconsin so it gets pretty cold here. storage , sure plastic shelving fairly cheap . I ended up getting better more stronger shelving cause I had too much stuff , too much weight on the shelves and then it was sagging . the gallon container are heavy specially when u got 10 of em. I bought clear bins to keep all my pads organized. I use storage bins to keep my odd and ends in , applicators brushes . both da's in a bin , all my mf towels are in plastic bags in bins . I use a closet coat rack to hold all my spray bottles . idk I've always been too organized and nit pickity clean .
    Chad brings up some very good points here.

Winter must be a consideration for those of us that live in the North. Temperatures where I live in New England typically dip to -10F and colder in many locations. My rule of thumb is other than towels and brushes, if it touches the finish bring it indoors where it's 40+ degrees. While I've never lost a product to heat I have lost several to freezing because of absentmindedness.. A very expensive lesson!

Metal or plastic storage cabinets are an ideal place to keep all your products clean, safely stored, and out of sight. Be sure the shelving meets your load requirements. Cabinets such as these also allow you to be very organized so the product your looking for is always at your fingertips.

Another thing to consider..

If you live in an area where mice and small rodents are present be sure you keep this in mind. I "used" to store my "expensive" Microfiber towels in plastic drawer systems typically found at Lowe's and discovered they provide a great place for mice to nest and reproduce...

I now store them in sealed plastic bins with flip latches..

What ever choice you make be doubly sure mice can not find their way inside!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips guys! It does get pretty cold here in the winter, in the garage I would say it doesn't get much colder then 20F in the winter at worst. What is the coldest safe temp to store products? I'm sure each one varies slightly, but is that a rule of thumb to go by? And there is no room under my bed, I have a water bed I'm 22 and EVERYTHING I own is in my room, so space is at a premium. My detailing stuff isn't even in there yet so I'm trying to figure out some alternatives.
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    safe storage , guvenli esya depolama musaoglu

Post Thanks / Like
    Ummm, what he said!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast