autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Purified water wash Down vs. Distilled.

Now I know that distilled water is usually made from boiling water and catching the condensation in a separate container. (something like that). My question is can I used purified water to wash down the vehicle to a spot free finish? The water has been purified by reverse osmosis, carbon filtration, micron filtration and ozonation. Would this achieve the same water spot free finish as distilled water?
    "A swirl is a swirl no matter what way you look at it."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Purified water wash Down vs. Distilled.

do those processes remove minerals b/c that is what you get when you distill water. Bacteria is not going to leave spots on your car (well, maybe microscopic poo spots), it's the minerals.

if yes, then yes...

only way other than to test the filtered water for mineral content is to try it and let it dry on your car (maybe not in the sun though)...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Reverse osmosis removes dissolved minerals, so you will get a spot-free rinse. Just make sure your system does not add minerals back in for taste. Some systems do that.

BTW, you can also use water from a dehumidifier if you have one. That is also functionally de-ionized water. I pour the water from our dehumi's into gallon jugs for use. Does a great job. Plus, it's essentially free. Ya gotta love free.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

yes i use my RO/DI filter for my fish tank sometimes to give my car a final rinse with it..and it leaves it spot free.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Yes. Reverse osmosis removes dissolved minerals, so you will get a spot-free rinse. Just make sure your system does not add minerals back in for taste. Some systems do that.

BTW, you can also use water from a dehumidifier if you have one. That is also functionally de-ionized water. I pour the water from our dehumi's into gallon jugs for use. Does a great job. Plus, it's essentially free. Ya gotta love free.
    I did not know that. Awesome!
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy Jim educated me on the fact you should never drink distilled water. Apparently it leaches the minerals from your body since it doesn't have any minerals in it.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    My buddy Jim educated me on the fact you should never drink distilled water. Apparently it leaches the minerals from your body since it doesn't have any minerals in it.
    Have to disagree. That's one of the many urban legends on the web. Google it.

Post Thanks / Like

There are meters out there that will tell you the amount of disolved solids that are in the water in question. Clean reverse osmosis systems will filter down to >2 ppm. Over time, the PPMs will increase and that's the time to change filters.

P.S. Distilled water is safe to drink, it's deionized water that could be unsafe because the deinonization process doesn't remove harmful bacteria or viruses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I've heard about this too, but it depends on who you ask. Distiller manufacturers/distributers will tell you it's perfectly safe to drink and that if you're really concerned about mineral loss/leaching, you could always add minerals commonly found in tap water back into distilled water. It is the purest water available and usually has a TDS reading of 0.

Internet sources (from doctors to gardeners) will tell you it's not safe because it lacks minerals, it's acidic and can leach minerals from your body. According to nutritionists, over 90% of minerals we consume is from solids, not tap water. Since I don't have a Ph meter, I can't test the acidity, yet even if it was acidic, would it cause long-term health detriment? I drink lots of lemonade and orange juice. They're acidic and I've yet to experience any ill effects from consuming them. As for the last statement, there's no current or past information to prove it, but I've also read it can leach harmful particles from your body.

Because of the lack of facts, it's difficult to make a wise decision, but if you ask me if I would I drink it, I would answer yes and currently do with no ill effects.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

I like the answers, and I will find out if the filter system puts the minerals back in the water.

Thanks,
    Andrew
    "A swirl is a swirl no matter what way you look at it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast