autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

When doing a one step, what would you do in this situation?

I did a one step on a black honda pilot. I decided to use D151. The car was swirled pretty bad. I did a couple of test spots with D151. The first was with a MF cutting pad, and the other with and a green B&S polishing pad. The MF pad removed all the defects, but left some haze. The polishing pad didn't remove nearly as many defects, but did not dull or haze the paint. So, what would you do if these were your only options, use the MF pad that left the paint defect free, but somewhat hazed? Or, would you use the polishing pad the left behind less, but still noticeable swirls, but did not haze the paint?

I'll let you now what I went with, but I'd first like to see other responses.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Re: When doing a one step, what would you do in this situation?

I'll take a stab, even though I've never got to machine polish anything yet.

With keeping with the theme of using the least aggressive product I'd stick with the polishing pad and work it a little longer, if possible. If not possible to work longer, I'd simply apply it a second time. With a product leaving a haze I'm going to have to go over it again anyway.

But I'm a newbie, and don't have a clue actually.

I've used this product by hand on one occassion some time ago. I sort of like it. I'd like to have about a 12 oz. bottle of it. I may order a 12 oz. sample size of it. I'd think it would have to be better than an OTC cleaner wax.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd go with the polishing pad. At least the paint would have better depth and reflection.

Post Thanks / Like

It would depend on what the customer wanted. Whenever i am paid for a job, I always agree with the results that will be acheived. With AIO you will always have something left on the table. Swirl marks will never be 1005 removed, hazing will still be left. As long as you meet the agreed correction.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd pick the polishing pad combo. It's clear they didn't want full correction or you wouldn't have been using a AIO. So make it shine and get what you can of the defects ..... Let the customer know if you want all the swirls gone it can be done. I hate paint with a haze, it always looks dirty no matter how clean it is ...... This is just my 2 cents you under stand!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

I actually did a couple test spots(side by side) in front of the client with both pads. I did not point out anything, I just asked which side she thought looked better. She picked the side that I used the MF pad. I guess she didn't notice hazing/dullness. I think uneducated clients, for the most part, just want to see swirl free paint. So, I went with D151/MF cutting pad. I stated in the first post that I would let you know what I chose, but it was actually up to the client in this situation. I was just curious what you all would do if you were doing a test spot and you had to decide.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

You may be on to something Mark. That's interesting.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen pictures of what you guys call hazing. I know that if I hadn't spent the last 13 years paying attention to minute details, I wouldn't know what you were talking about. I think to the average person, slight hazing is not a big deal if seen at all.

Post Thanks / Like

This is kinda neat, Do two diffrent pads with an AIO, Have the owner pic what they like best. You repeat over entire car. Happy customer then pays hopefully leaving you a tip for your hard work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, How did it turn out? What would a potential customer that does know the difference think?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast