autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Random Orbit Polisher?

I read in the autogeek store that there are 2 kinds of polishers - dual action and orbital or circular.

I have a random orbit polisher that is about 20 years old. What does the 'random' mean? And is this different from the dual action or circular.

Thanks, from a rookie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EscapeNow
    I read in the autogeek store that there are 2 kinds of polishers - dual action and orbital or circular.

I have a random orbit polisher that is about 20 years old. What does the 'random' mean? And is this different from the dual action or circular.

Thanks, from a rookie.

I hope its not one of those big ten inch buffers from years ago, one speed and the need for terry cloth pads. Looking back on it, they were mostly used to remove wax, and the terry cloth probably damaged as much as it helped. They even offered wool heads for polishing.

A random orbital oscilates off axis and is designed to alleviate some of the damage a circular buffer can do. The PC is speed sensitive and you use foam heads (although micro pad covers are available) and very safe for novice or professional.

A circular or rotary buffer is essentially a polisher. It spins round and round on axis. It can create alot of heat and can remove swirls much easier at very low speeds. This type of buffer can much more easily cut past clear into the paint and should be left to professionals or used with some heavy thought and pretesting.