autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: customer wants a one year sealant warrantied

I can already tell that this guy is just looking for a free detail toward the end of the year. I probably wouldn't bother with him if I were you because you never know what he's gonna use. For all you know hes going to take it to the automatics and come back to you saying there are swirls and the wax is gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd give him a warranty but in the fine print include "if for any reason the vehicle leaves the garage the warranty is void" If you put one of those unbelievably long disclaimers at the end of the warranty paper, he will probably skim over it and then you will will be protected by law from any failure in sealant caused by him moving his car. Just make sure to write down the vehicle mileage and put a small piece of tape under his wheel to insure he doesn't move.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

You could give him a legitimate warranty. Just make it conditional to him bringing the car to you weekly for washes where you would charge him your normal car wash fee. If a week is missed, warranty void. If he complies with that you prolly won't mind giving him additional steps periodically. You've not got anything to lose, he's already not a customer, and everything to gain. How much money would you make off this guy if he complied? Then, if he renews, after a year, how much correction would you have to do on a car you've maintained all year long.

My Lasik surgeon did the exact same thing. Free eye correction for life. As long as I submit to an annual eye exam @ $80.00 a pop in addition to whatever my insurance pays. Miss one year, no further eye corrections for free.
    Last edited by Tyrod; 08-02-2011 at 02:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're going to do that then I'm bringing my car to you as well. LOL J/K!

A limited warranty is okay, but you'd have to spell it out--as others have suggested--and make it very conditional to him complying with the details (no pun intended). I do agree with Tyrod that you could make this guy a believer and subsequently gain more customers in the long run. I'm a firm believer in customer service, but there have to be terms that both of you agree with. If he's just some duche looking for a handout then he most likely will not agree to the limited warranty anyway. Naturally, it's all dependent on what your impressions of the guy are and what his truck looks like. If it's beat to heck and looks, as you said, like he won't wash it or take care of it, then the limited warranty will force his hand. It's a tough decision, but money is money. Good luck!

PS. I'd also take pictures of before, after, and subsequently every time he brings it in according to your warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Run, don't walk away from this potential customer. It's going to be trouble from day 1
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    Be prepared to pay or fix his car if he doesn't maintain it. Just the fact that he demands it bothers me enough to pass on the job. Even with the coatings nothing is bullet proof. I would pass on the money, I just get the feeling he is trying to get something for nothing.
    No mater what you charge a hemorrhoid is still a hemorrhoid and is a pain in the ass...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

You could go thru the whole route of providing a warranty given required proper maintenance (by you) and exclusions for normal wear and tear, etc, etc. In other words, give him a warranty that is no different that the dealerships provide for their "no wax for 5 years" nonsense. Just be aware that it probably is not going to get you the job once he reads the exclusions. And, I'd make damn sure he does by reading it to him and having him sign a statement that's he has read it, that you read it to him and explained everything and that he understands. I would probably do it simply for the exercise and just to prevent him from running around to everyone he knows saying you won't warranty your work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    You could go thru the whole route of providing a warranty given required proper maintenance (by you) and exclusions for normal wear and tear, etc, etc. In other words, give him a warranty that is no different that the dealerships provide for their "no wax for 5 years" nonsense. Just be aware that it probably is not going to get you the job once he reads the exclusions. And, I'd make damn sure he does by reading it to him and having him sign a statement that's he has read it, that you read it to him and explained everything and that he understands. I would probably do it simply for the exercise and just to prevent him from running around to everyone he knows saying you won't warranty your work.
    The problems with this is he will still run around saying the OP wont hold up his end of the bargain, has unreasonable expectations, charges too much etc etc. The OP has no way to going to each and every person this jerk talks to and sets the record straight. This guy is a lose lose situation. Thats just my opinion
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post
    The problems with this is he will still run around saying the OP wont hold up his end of the bargain, has unreasonable expectations, charges too much etc etc. The OP has no way to going to each and every person this jerk talks to and sets the record straight. This guy is a lose lose situation. Thats just my opinion
    Yeah, you're probably right. The best approach might be to simply say that he does do high-end warranty jobs but he's overscheduled right now and just can't fit it in. Then mention he's heard XXX dealership does a 5 year no-wax sealant, doesn't know how well it works, but you might wanna check it out. Heh, heh, heh.

Post Thanks / Like
    How did he get the original idea that the lsp should last 1 year? Mayhem explain to him that only the coatings will last over a year and add that price on top of the $350 if he would like it.

I would make a contract with weekly washes, quarterly waxed, and you should be fine. If anyone else washes the car or he misses the wash one week, the warranty will be void.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast