autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's talk combinations...

Hello, new to Autogeek, but not new to detailing, or detailing forums. Like many of you, I get addicted to products, or more correctly buying more products than I will ever need. I tend to detail our two cars (Red Mazda 3 Hatch, Black Ford Focus ST), take care of my parents, and inlaws' cars as well as help others detail their cars. For correction, I have Optimum Compound, Polish and Finishing Polish (all version 2), as well as Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Polish. No questions there...

Onto maintenance/waxing: I have the following AIO's Optimum Poli-Seal, Werkstat Prime Strong, Werkstat Prime Acrylic, and Duragloss 501.

For LSP's, Collinite 845, 915 and 476, as well as Duragloss 105 (and 601 Pre Bonding Agent). So here is the question. I am into durability living in Pittsburgh. I have to go a good 6 months in winter between details. I like to wash the car weekly in the summer, and use Optimum Liquid Spray wax, and their QD between waxings. Of what I have listed, what combinations would you use for ease of use combined with durability. All products would be put on with PC, using Lake Country green AIO pad, or white polishing pad for the AIO, and a blue pad for the LSP. Hand application for the Collinite Paste waxes. Would I be able to get by just using 601, followed by 105, wait 24 hours for 845 and call it a day? Does the 105 with the 601 have enough cleaning power? I generally prefer the look of a Carnauba for cars. My cars are 90% corrected, so good for a daily driver. I prefer to only break out the compounds/polishes every two-three years, and always clay bar before any work. Appreciate any thoughts on the products listed.

Regards,

Kris

Post Thanks / Like
    With your cars being corrected I would use 4 parts dg105 1 part 601 mixed together for instant curing, then apply one coat of 845, will be good pasted 6 months and look great
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Let's talk combinations...

I think clay/601/105/Collinite sounds like a good plan. I get a bit better longevity out of the Collinite pastes than 845 (and I love 845).

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I will give it a try. I figured it would be long lasting, just wasn't sure on the cleaning portion.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Pittsburgh also and my DD spends every day and night outside. I've no experience with DG105, but here's what I did last winter.
    The first weekend of December, I gave it a quick buff with Meguiar's #2 and #9, followed buy a single coat of 845. During the winter it received an ONR wash when weather permitted, probably 4 or 5 times. It was around the end of March when it stopped beading, which is the best durability I've ever had from a wax job through a winter season. This year, my plan is to do two passes with 845, then boost it with OCW whenever I catch a moderate day. I expect that will get me through the winter just fine.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

You can apply DG 601 then DG 105 and it will cure the same as mixing them. The only difference is that it saves you 1 step. If you mix up or apply 601/501 to chemically clean your paint, follow it with 601/105 (1 or 2 applications) then Collinite 845 or 476 and you won't have to wax it again for a long time. I did 1 application of DG 105 on our 2011 Regal in November, boosted monthly by DG Aqua Wax since April and it still beads very well. It is just now starting to slowly release water on the vertical panels. I live 5 hours south of you so we see similar weather and similar salt conditions. The car goes through the touchless wash weekly until I make it home for a hand wash.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Is the general consenus that the Duragloss/Collinite combo is the way to go for durability and ease of use? Just want to make sure I am not missing something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RPPM View Post
    Is the general consenus that the Duragloss/Collinite combo is the way to go for durability and ease of use? Just want to make sure I am not missing something.
    Me personally, I would skip the Collinite as I feel Duragloss is strong enough on its own, especially if you're doing 1 coat of DG 501 and 2 coats of DG 105. However, there are claims the Collinite will add to the overall durability. Really this comes down to personal preference. It doesn't really take that much longer to apply a coat of Collinite though. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

For the ultimate in protection for the winter month in salt and wintery weather, my favorite combo is 915 topped with 845! Altho OC 2.0 may be even better than that if you happen to be looking at coatings.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    For the ultimate in protection for the winter month in salt and wintery weather, my favorite combo is 915 topped with 845! Altho OC 2.0 may be even better than that if you happen to be looking at coatings.
    Have you used DG 105 in the winter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast