autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dedicated pads for each product?

Would there be any problems using several different sealants and waxes with the same pad as long as I clean the pad thoroughly between uses? Or do most of you have dedicated pads for each sealant and wax? How about compounds and polishes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dedicated pads for each product?

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but because I'm uptight I do have pads dedicated to each product line. Not so much for polishes, but I certainly have pads dedicated to waxes and sealants from certain manufacturers.

Post Thanks / Like

Same here^^^. I have trouble getting all of the paste wax cleaned out of my red pads so I feel that I have too have a pad for each.

Post Thanks / Like

That would get very exspensive only using one product one one pad. With a good wash after each use you will be fine to use what you wnt next time.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like to stick with a dedicated pad for each wax or sealant. I can never get asl the used product out of the pad. At 7 bucks a pad for me its not that big of a deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lee1dew View Post
    Would there be any problems using several different sealants and waxes with the same pad as long as I clean the pad thoroughly between uses? Or do most of you have dedicated pads for each sealant and wax? How about compounds and polishes?
    As long as they're clean you should see no issues...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

For 'LSPs' I never (or at least try) cross contaminate. But with compounds, I really don't worry about it.

In fact, when starting with a compound and it 'just ain't enough' I will step up a notch on the same pad. Example, started on a boat with Megs HD Oxidation Remover...wasn't near enuf...just went to Megs One Step Compound (same pad) and all went well.

Disclaimer: I couldn't use a 'stronger pad' 'cause I didn't have the yellow cutters with me...I was on vacation helping out a friend.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    As long as they're clean you should see no issues...
    +1. I just clean the pads.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by lee1dew View Post
    The hard part is getting them really clean. Any good wax or paint sealant is going to be water insoluble as the whole idea behind any protection product is to resist dissolving off the car when it rains or you wash the car.

Do a forum search for the word insoluble. It should pull up threads on cleaning wax pads and the issues surrounding the topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The hard part is getting them really clean. Any good wax or paint sealant is going to be water insoluble as the whole idea behind any protection product is to resist dissolving off the car when it rains or you wash the car.
    Agree Mike. HOWEVER (that's a big however), most of today's sealants and waxes are water-based. As such, they are soluable until they cure. It may be more difficult than simply rinsing with water but you can get them clean. If you cannot get them truly clean, then pad cleaning products are merely the detailing equivalent of snake oil and users should realize that switching from one product to another bears the additional cost of a new pad. I don't think you wish to imply that, but that is the end conclusion IF the LSPs are truly non-soluable in any state in any water-based cleaner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast