autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti-coat 2 on new Chrome Wheels?

Hi,
    I'm buying a new set of chrome wheels for my truck.
    They should be in great (new) condition.

Would it be wise to get some opti-coat on them before they are exposed to any harmful elements?

Any advice would be appreciated!!
    Thanks
    Donald

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-coat 2 on new Chrome Wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by Soilsample View Post
    Hi,
    I'm buying a new set of chrome wheels for my truck.
    They should be in great (new) condition.

Would it be wise to get some opti-coat on them before they are exposed to any harmful elements?

Any advice would be appreciated!!
    Thanks
    Donald
    Would it be wise?? Hell ya!! They will stay clean longer and clean up easier and look amazing to boot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Would it be wise?? Hell ya!! They will stay clean longer and clean up easier and look amazing to boot.
    Based on this info:

"Opti-Coat is based on a resin pre-polymer that we manufacture and once it is applied, it cross links and reacts with urethane and other clear coat paints to form a permanent film". (Chris@Optimum)

Quick question:

How then does Opti-Coat cross-link and react with the chromium?

If it does, great. If not.........?

I'm just curious, that's all.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Bob, all I can share is what I have done and observed. I have used it on chrome wheels several times before and they sheet water just like the paint did, so my assumption is that it works just as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Bob, all I can share is what I have done and observed. I have used it on chrome wheels several times before and they sheet water just like the paint did, so my assumption is that it works just as well.
    Thanks for your reply Richy.

Since the onset, and by carefully reading all I can find about OG/OC, I too have assumed the same as you about the Opti-Coatings on Chrome wheels, as well as auto glass areas.

But:

I'm really anxious to learn how Coatings and some sealants that, in layman's terms will "etch" (bond) and become part and parcel of the vehicle's paint surfaces, can actually and effectively do the same on chrome and glass.

[Maybe in the case of glass, the Opti-Coatings (and perhaps other Coatings) mirror the new Hydrophobic Glass technologies in providing glass with a "film" in liquid form that cures. Of course, like most car care products, this 'new' glass technology also has 'ingredients/chemicals' that are proprietory.]

Can't even venture a guess about chrome, except:

I realize that no surface is completely impervious, or solid if you will, and has microscopic "pores" to differing degrees/sizes. Maybe that is the key to understanding how bonding, (whether it's co-valent or hydrogen, as once explained to me), of these Coatings, sealants, or even waxes can occur.

Then again, perhaps Coatings and some sealants may just "lay-on-top" of the Chrome and glass surfaces similar to the characteristics of some wax products; that is: Just bonding within and across the Coatings and sealants themselves, thus forming/providing a sacrificial barrier/protective matrix across the chrome/glass surfaces. Then again, perhaps not.

Therefore, I feel at this time that I need further info regarding my concerns of Coatings/sealants that are being applied to chrome/glass surfaces. Hopefully others will chime in with that info.

Again Richy, THANKS!....Your input on this matter, as well as many, many others, are always appreciated!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti