autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice...Foam Guns

So I was looking at the foam guns and am I correct in thinking there are two kinds? 1. that uses a hose 2. one that uses a pressure washer?

I do not have a pressure washer, so I was looking at the hose ones...

Any thoughts?

How do most of you use them?
    Do you foam then rinse and then wash 2 bucket style?

I think it is pretty cool to see a huge foamed car...would I get that with the hose version?

Again, thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice...Foam Guns

Quote Originally Posted by CaneMustang View Post
    So I was looking at the foam guns and am I correct in thinking there are two kinds? 1. that uses a hose 2. one that uses a pressure washer?

I do not have a pressure washer, so I was looking at the hose ones...

Any thoughts?

How do most of you use them?
    Do you foam then rinse and then wash 2 bucket style?

I think it is pretty cool to see a huge foamed car...would I get that with the hose version?

Again, thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    There is a Foam Canon which connects to a pressure washer
    The Foam Gun connects to a hose.

I don't have any experience with the Foam Gun, but the Canon is great.

I foam, wash, then rinse.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you'd get the cool looking thick, clingy foam without a pressure washer.

I've been looking into a hose end type sprayer unit too but everything they have at the big box stores is plastic and looks like it'll last 3 washes before it falls apart...

looking at this one now...

Detailer's Pro Series Quart Foamaster Foam Gun, foam wash gun, DP foam master
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Gilmour hose end, with the adjustable ratio.

I started using 2 buckets, but Ive revised into a single bucket with grit guard to rinse/wring out my wash mitt.

Ill hit one side of the car with just a water spray to get the loose stuff off. Then foam that side of the car once and let the foam slide off. Then for each panel I will foam the mitt and foam the panel as Im gliding the mitt over it. Wash/wring out the mitt after each panel along with giving it a good rub across the grit guard at the bottom of the bucket, then repeat for next panel. I also like to pick a lower body line to wash to, and then use a separate mitt for anything lower where a lot of the bigger junk accumulates, to lessen the chance it gets dragged across the rest of the car by accident.

"Sticky" foam is cool to look at, but I think the whole point is to make sure the surface is lubricated well. I use CG Citrus Wash n Clear and it provides plenty of lubricity and good foam (though not "sticky" foam, which is fine by me)

I think I use more soap this way, and maybe a little more water, but I feel more comfortable that I wont mar my car with this process. Ive gotten into the schedule of washing my car once a week (finally), and after 6 or 7 washes this way the car looked just about as marring free as it did after I got it detailed, and thats with some (apparently) very soft Infiniti paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a foam "gun" many years ago an while it does put soap and water on the car, it just doesn't have the "dwell time" of a foam cannon.

My method of washing may sound wasteful, but I have had so many swirl marks show up with any other method I'll stick with mine.

I hit the car with a nice coating of foam cannon foam and let it sit on the car until it has almost all slid off onto the ground. Then I spray the car off with plain water. This gets a majority of any crud off the car. Then I soap it again with the foam cannon.
    Now it's time to start washing the car with the two bucket method and a Pinnacle MF Mitt. And after it's completely washed then I rinse with water from my pressure washer. I turn the pressure way down to about 800psi. And the water being sprayed out is from my Spotless Filter System
    CR Spotless Rolling De-ionized Water Filtration System, deionization system, water de-ionizer, purified water systems, cr-spotless, spot free rinse,
    I use the filtered water for the final rinse only.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are not getting a pressure washer option, get a foam gun like the gilmour foam master. Thats what I currently use until I purchase a pressure washer. Get one that has ratio adjustability, if you want max suds use a very high concentrate of car shampoo along with the highest ratio setting. It still won't be as much as a pressure washer, but just soak it a couple of times.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Gilmour Foammaster. If you use a soap like DP Extreme Foam Formula, it will produce plenty of foam. My method is - spray the car off with water to remove the large particles. Foam the entire car from the top down. Clean the wheels and tires. Spray the car off with water again. Foam the entire car again. Rinse using 2 bucket wash with grit guards. Rinse the car with a nozzle. Sheet the water off by rinsing the car with a low pressure stream without a nozzle.

Post Thanks / Like

I just use a single bucket with grit guard also. The bucket is plain water for rinsing my sponge. I spray the whole car top to bottom, let it sit for a few minutes by this time the most of the foam falls off the car. Then I'll foam each panel again and wash then rinse with plain water. After I'm completly done I'll give the whole car a final rinse to remove any remaining foam overspray.

Post Thanks / Like

That's like washing with foam instead of actual soapy water.

The way I see it, the point of the foam is hold some soap solution on the car for a presoak. After that, rinse and then go on to normal two-bucket washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Like many have said here Jeff, the Foam Gun connects to a standard garden hose, not a pressure washer.

The foam guns will apply a slippery layer of foam that works hard dissolving contaminates and debris allowing it to float off the finish. It's sort of a presoak for regular washing.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast