autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

stripping the old wax off....

Maybe the topic is a bit mis-leading but I have a Lexus and I am thinking of sealing the paint with Wolfgang or Menz Power Lock before this winter. It's in great shape but it's a daily driver and I may go with something more durable. I currently have Fuzion wax on it.

Question is if I wash the car with Dawn, clay, should I then go back on with the sealant .... or should I use Meg 205 and maybe a white pad (I have a good stock of this) as a cleaner/pre-wax to be sure the paint is ready to seal.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: stripping the old wax off....

Quote Originally Posted by keepitclean View Post
    Maybe the topic is a bit mis-leading but I have a Lexus and I am thinking of sealing the paint with Wolfgang or Menz Power Lock before this winter. It's in great shape but it's a daily driver and I may go with something more durable. I currently have Fuzion wax on it.

Question is if I wash the car with Dawn, clay, should I then go back on with the sealant .... or should I use Meg 205 and maybe a white pad (I have a good stock of this) as a cleaner/pre-wax to be sure the paint is ready to seal.
    Prepping for winter does take some planning. I'd start by washing the car and give it a complete claying. If the paint's in nice condition then using a paint cleaner or a 1-Step product would prepare the paint for a sealant and wax.

There are a variety of quality sealants available; Menzerna Power Lock being one of them. For winter prep this is the one I use topped by a layer of Collinite 845.

Another product to consider is some of the new "coatings" new on the detailing scene such as Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0. While I have yet to try it, Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 is receiving stellar reviews and should provide that long lasting protection we're looking for.

While Wolfgang Fuzion is truly a nice wax it doesn't possess the durability or longevity as other waxes available on the market today. Wolfgang Fuzion does a superb job leaving the finish stunningly wet but in a warmer climate....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

either way would work, depends on the time you have...

you have to wash and clay anyways then either a) paint cleaner/sealant or b) M205/sealant

I would probably go the 205 route if it was spring. Going into winter, the car will probably get some marring anyway that will need to be corrected...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using Griots Pre Wax Cleaner, but you could always apply some P21s Paintwork Cleanser instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Bobby,

What's a good go-to paint cleaner you would suggest?

I've got to get an order together....................and man I hate to think of winter now, it's too early.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
    Ive been using Griots Pre Wax Cleaner, but you could always apply some P21s Paintwork Cleanser instead.

Thx

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepitclean View Post
    Bobby,

What's a good go-to paint cleaner you would suggest?

I've got to get an order together....................and man I hate to think of winter now, it's too early.

Pinnacle XMT 360 is a decent cleaner

XMT 360 corrects, cleans, and seals auto paint! XMT 360 is more than a cleaner wax, its a swirl remover, polish, and paint sealant in one.

And so are allot of others available here.

Car Polish - Pre-Wax Cleaners & Paintwork Cleanser

If you have Meguiar's M205 polish already us "it" with a White foam pad and you've pretty much have the same thing.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle is a great paint cleaner
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Paint Prep (versus Griot's pre-wax cleaner)....they are different. The Paint Prep will strip EVERYTHING off your paint (silicone, polishes, waxes, sealants). It is perfect for preparing the paint for claying/correcting/polishing.

Pre Wax cleaner is used AFTER you polish (and just before you apply an LSP)...
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Griot's Paint Prep (versus Griot's pre-wax cleaner)....they are different. The Paint Prep will strip EVERYTHING off your paint (silicone, polishes, waxes, sealants). It is perfect for preparing the paint for claying/correcting/polishing.

Pre Wax cleaner is used AFTER you polish (and just before you apply an LSP)...
    Opps, I didnt know there were 2 products, I thought people were using the names synonymously. Ive been using the Paint Prep after washing before detailing.