autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Some correction advice

Today I figured I would start some correction on my (new to me) Audi Q5 which is black in color. Im planning on trying out the nee Poprbous profucts I got to see if I like them. Starting with ssr2.5 on a lake country orange pad as my car has some pretty heavy swirling from the last owner who apparently never ever detailed this car since new. The swirling is some of the worst Ive seen (and Ive owned several black cars). Ive done 2 passes with that setup and Im still seeing some swirling present that is just too much for my liking, I dont expect perfection on my daily but I would like to get as close as possible. So what would be the next product/pad setup I should try. Thats the most aggressive product I have at the moment. Whatdo you recommend? Thanks

Ps typed on phone please excuse any typos, etc

These are rhe best pics I could get, the reflection looks good but under light swirling is very noticeable but waaaaay better than it was.

Some correction advice-img_1347-jpgSome correction advice-img_1346-jpgSome correction advice-img_1348-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some correction advice

The most aggressive combo I'd typically use on a modern Audi is something like M100 or M101 with a Meg's microfiber cutting pad. Fully prime each pad, clean the pads frequently and you'll be able to level some serious defects on that hard Audi OEM paintwork and still finish out really nice. It's hard to tell because it looks like two different light sources but your after pic (the middle pic) looks pretty defect/haze free for a daily driver type of situation.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Are the pics just after that step but not before polishing? If not, what does the paint look like after polishing step?
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

You can move to a heavy cutting pad with SSR 2.5 and see if that gets you some additional correction - probably will.

In terms of next product to use, with a BMW, I would say Menzerna SF3500 would be a good follow-up after SSR 2.5. If you wanted to replace SSR 2.5 in your process then it's a crap shoot since you didn't provide "before pics". So I'll back-into the recommendation since I know how SSR 2.5 works. My educated guess would be Menzerna SF4000.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Carolinasfinest- those pics are all one right after another, I was just trying to get the swirls in a pic good as it was hard. The last pic if the reflection was the same area on fender but halogens turned off. The first pic was taken with my ceiling light reflecting instead of halogens. Also, those pics were taken after I did a next step of ssr1 just to see what it looked like (it did no difference really). The paint is definitely hard, I will step up to a yellow pad and see what it does. As its a daily I wont get too in depth but this factory paint was done terrible, there are fish eyes and what appears to be debris under the clear or paint which has made raised little spots in places (almost looks like a grain of sand under paint). Never seen that before on a factory painted luxury vehicle. And no the car hasnt been crashed and repainted or anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it has been repainted at some point. Factory paint might have some specs of dirt in the finish here or there but usually nothing near as bad as you are describing.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Venomv8 View Post
    Today I figured I would start some correction on my (new to me) Audi Q5 which is black in color. Im planning on trying out the nee Poprbous profucts I got to see if I like them. Starting with ssr2.5 on a lake country orange pad as my car has some pretty heavy swirling from the last owner who apparently never ever detailed this car since new. The swirling is some of the worst Ive seen (and Ive owned several black cars). Ive done 2 passes with that setup and Im still seeing some swirling present that is just too much for my liking, I dont expect perfection on my daily but I would like to get as close as possible. So what would be the next product/pad setup I should try. Thats the most aggressive product I have at the moment. Whatdo you recommend? Thanks

Ps typed on phone please excuse any typos, etc

These are rhe best pics I could get, the reflection looks good but under light swirling is very noticeable but waaaaay better than it was.

Some correction advice-img_1347-jpgSome correction advice-img_1346-jpgSome correction advice-img_1348-jpg
    ssr 2.5 is a medium polishing compound. If you want a perfect finish you'll probably need to use a finishing polish like Meg's Ultimate Compound and a finishing or jeweling pad used at low rpms. Medium grade polishes often have to be followed by a light/finishing polish to get a flawless finish.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know when or why its been repainted if so. The car has never been crashed, its a 3 year old car that was just returned to dealership from lease in which I bought as a CPO from Audi dealership (where is also had all its servicing as well). The carfax was completely clean, no insurance claims and no body work Of any sort. I dont know how that would even happen unless the previous owner knew womeone in a bidy shop that did it under the table maybe. But like you said, Ive never seen this type of contamination under factory paint. I will try to find out more on it by contacting previous owner. Either way, Im not exactly comfortable sanding them down so Ill have to live with them.