autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stripping 845?

Post Thanks / Like

Stripping 845?

I applied 845 about 3 months ago and have applied 2 coats of Fuzion since then (about once a month each). I received a sample of Liquid Souvern and want to try it out on fresh paint. So what is the best way to strip what is already on there. Will Dawn strip the 845? and if so what dilution ratio is best for Dawn? IF not is there any OTC product that will? The temps here are dropping 15 degrees this weekend so I would like to do this before it gets hot again.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stripping 845?

3oz of dawn to 2 gallons of water should strip it

If you want to be sure, you could also use apc at 20:1 dilution. Rather than try to mix it into the wash water, I like to rinse the car, then spritz the panel just before I go over it with the dawn wash soap.

I've used up to 4:1 zep citrus to strip with no issues. I've recently read that the recommended general apc dilutions are 64:1 for waxes, and 20:1 for sealants...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tim,
    I have Megs APC+ and that sounds good to spritz it and then wash.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

wd-40???

Post Thanks / Like

I hate using Dawn. I would suggest
    Optimum Power Clean™ All Purpose Cleaner 128 oz. Refill (safe for paint)

or a chemical polish such as
    P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser car polish - This pre-wax cleaner and polish is a German blend of quality ingredients that will make wax
    or
    Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion will restore and preserve your car's original beauty.

845 is pretty durable stuff so I would personally go with one of the two polishes listed above but I have had good luck with OPC at 3:1 stripping waxes.(just do a test spot if you use this method to see if all the wax is removed)
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    How can I know if all the wax is removed? This is something I have wondered about, how can one know for sure if wax is there or not.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    Jim,
    How can I know if all the wax is removed? This is something I have wondered about, how can one know for sure if wax is there or not.
    Beading and the "Squeaky Clean Effect" are pretty good judges IMO but I guess trust in the products to remove the wax/sealant is another factor. You can also usually feel a difference from a waxed/sealed panel or section from an unprotected area. So a bit of a combination is the best way to tell.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Mix about 3 ounces of dawn, as Tim said, with about an ounce of a wash that has some good lubricants(or 1/2 of BTBM), that way it's harder to marr the surface. I've stripped #845 with this method, just the other day so I could try some powerlock.

Just wash the paint until water no longer beads, but rather sits on the paint like a sheet for a few seconds. You may have to let the solution set on the paint and let time help dissolve the #845.

Just make sure you dress you trim up afterwards! While I think Dawn has little to no chance of fading trim, it "may" dry out rubber seals/tires. So make sure you take precautions if you choose the Dawn wash method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
    Mix about 3 ounces of dawn, as Tim said, with about an ounce of a wash that has some good lubricants(or 1/2 of BTBM), that way it's harder to marr the surface. I've stripped #845 with this method, just the other day so I could try some powerlock.

Just wash the paint until water no longer beads, but rather sits on the paint like a sheet for a few seconds. You may have to let the solution set on the paint and let time help dissolve the #845.

Just make sure you dress you trim up afterwards! While I think Dawn has little to no chance of fading trim, it "may" dry out rubber seals/tires. So make sure you take precautions if you choose the Dawn wash method.
    What is BTBM? And I'm guessing your "wash" is a rinseless like ONR or DP Rinesless wash and gloss.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    What is BTBM? And I'm guessing your "wash" is a rinseless like ONR or DP Rinesless wash and gloss.
    Dodo Juice's Born to Be Mild. It's one of my favorite maintanence washes; the lubricants are the best!

Not a rinseless, a regular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast