autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

A question for the car care chemists

Does anyone here that has to do with the manufacturing of car care products see a wipe on walk away LSP that will help to hide swirls? Most of the WOWA sealants that I have tried or read about will tend to illuminate paint defects. I have stepped into the world of WOWA LSPs and think they are wonderful and so easy to apply but think it would be even better if one had filling capabilities.

Anyone in the formulation/manufacturing of car care products see something like this coming in the future?

Comments or concerns from ANYONE are welcome here in this thread but I would especially like to hear from guys like Chris @ Optimum or other guys/gals in this field of expertise/knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A question for the car care chemists

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    Does anyone here that has to do with the manufacturing of car care products see a wipe on walk away LSP that will help to hide swirls? Most of the WOWA sealants that I have tried or read about will tend to illuminate paint defects. I have stepped into the world of WOWA LSPs and think they are wonderful and so easy to apply but think it would be even better if one had filling capabilities.

Anyone in the formulation/manufacturing of car care products see something like this coming in the future?

Comments or concerns from ANYONE are welcome here in this thread but I would especially like to hear from guys like Chris @ Optimum or other guys/gals in this field of expertise/knowledge.
    First...Thanks for your very thought provoking question/post.
    Second...I do not qualify or fit into any of the above categories except for the ANYONE comments or concerns.

With that out of the way...

A lot of the products (waxes, glazes) that have fillers, such as Kaolin Clay or other "clays", are intended to fill-in the valleys (swirls, scratches, imperfections, as it were). The results are usually acceptable in "the eye of the beholder". These fillers will only last so long...dependent upon wash cycles, environmental issues, etc., and the underlying imperfections will then be exposed again. Usually a wax type LSPs can be applied over other waxes/glazes and will form their type of bonding that "lies on top" of the paint surface.

This is different from the recommended application method for most sealants I've heard about. That method seems to require that the paint surface be free from all substances/products residues used to clean/polish. This, according to most sealant's applications directions, will ensure that the proper etching (minor? or major?), cross-linking occurs, whether it's from the polydimethelsiloxanes or polyaminosiloxanes(more expensive) contained therein.

Therefore, in my very limited understanding, I feel that any fillers that would be in sealants would be detrimental in assurance of the cross-linking required for sealants to be most effective!

Wouldn't it great if sealants could hide/fill-in, though. Perhaps that is the next step up in quality car care.

Just my thoughts on this matter, subject, of course, to any and all input from the experts or others on this forum.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti