autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to get EVERY missed spot on wax/sealant

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    What LSP's are you using?
    Second this. Some products have a way of showing their heavy areas much more than others after a cure. I agree with most other comments here. Put the car in the sun and examine. Go back over with a WOWO product like a spray wax to smooth any remaining heavy areas you didn't notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    I always work from top to bottom, begin and end on the same panel. I always start on the passenger side front fender, then work my way around the drivers side ending at the panel I started with. Don't ask me why I start there...just always have. Whether I'm removing wax, laying on wax, buffing, or claying...the path is the same.

I think that's the key. Create your path and repeat it till it's become habit. All my guys always ask me why I start there every time...I never have an answer. But now I notice them doing it, cause just like you...I always catch their misses, ha. I think in the back of my head I just like to get the front done first.

That's really the best way to do it. I can (and often do) detail in the dark. I do this after hours, so by the time I'm done it is frequently dark outside and even halogens don't give you the light you need to catch all of the polish. So the secret is to just get into the habit of rubbing down every square inch of the paint and having a habit of doing it. You also need to know where the polish hides most frequently and hit those areas extra good whether they look like they need it or not. The biggest headache is the fact that not all products are visible until a day or so later when they are dry and turn into white spots. Just be good at knowing all of the seams need to be flossed and all of the trim needs to be cleaned after you polish and it will turn out well.

Post Thanks / Like

I see problems hours later. I did a car with BFWD and wiped it down carefully but it took 24 hrs for a couple patches to show up. The same may happen with some waxes.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I use to run into this when I used cleaner waxes and applied them by hand. Something like Megs Gold Class or Mothers always did this to me.

Now I use products that are easy on and easy off. Most haze just enough for me to see them. I go through the whole car and wipe off. Ending where I started like Kris said. Then I will go through my other ending preps (tires, windows, door jambs, whatever it may be) and as a final walk through I ensure the car is in the sun and I walk through and give it a final wipe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anson89 View Post
    This is embarrassing. But one of my biggest complaints among my clients and from workshops are random spots I missed from wiping off the sealant or wax. For some reason, I can never get it perfect. Even wiping with 2 towels and SLOW wipes making sure I get every single inch. It's been happening consistently with one of the high end tuner/dealership workshops they use me for detailing. I still made the effort to drive back at least 20 miles just to fix 3 missed spots, but I need to stop this from happening so much.

Any tips?
    I'm no pro, but i do the same thing. i take care of 4 cars, and I'm always finding wax and sealant spots, days later sometimes! Ive tried all the tips in here, i over wipe the car. i think it's just, you get tired and you wanna get done. for me Ive usually spent all weekend in a garage, its late on sun night and i want to get done. i wouldn't feel bad, it happens. the sunlight trick is the best. i find most of them when i pull it out into the light.
    I love DP products! although, I'm starting to lean towards the pinnacle line, thanks to liq. sovereign!

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on much of the advice.

Get better lighting so you can see everything.

Work one panel at a time, in a consistent manner. I start with the roof, then hood, then driver side door and work my way around the car from there, going counterclockwise around the vehicle, top to bottom on each panel.

I'd also look into a wax or sealant that doesn't dry into that nasty hard white crud that is so noticeable if you are having problems getting every last bit (if that's what you're using).

Use quality microfibers that remove all of the hazed LSP.

Once done, pull the car out into the sun and give it a good look over to make sure you did in fact get everything.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zilla View Post
    I typically go back over the whole car with a quick detailer to make sure I didn't miss a spot. You could wash the car again too if you wanted.
    wouldn't that interfere with the curing process?

btw, I find #845 drys very clear

Post Thanks / Like
    Application of your lsp makes the biggest difference in being able to take it off effectively. How are you applying it?
    A passion for perfection!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123