autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Another Clear Bra predicament

As of now, I have ZERO chips on my entire front end. I have Ventureshield on my entire front bumper and mirrors, then 3M on my Apillars and headlights. I am strongly considering getting the 18" of hood and fenders done (will be in 3M). I need to make the decision by Tuesday next week, as my installer is doing some other work on my car.

HELP!

fyi, doing the entire hood is out of the question due to cost, and I don't really want an entire hood covered in film... that would take away from my enjoyment of buffing and working with the actual paint.

So if I forego the clear bra, I plan to simply use blue painters tape on the hood area, then use the OEM leather bra on top of it to avoid any direct contact with the paint. This would be what I would do for long highway drives.

I am really concerned about the following:
    • edge of the clear bra being visible and taking away from the beauty of my paint in general
    • possible yellowing or fading of the clear bra.
    • orange peeling texture of the bra, or just having it visually be less appealing in terms of gloss, etc, than the rest of the exposed paint, esp the hood.
    • damage to the paint underneath upon removal.
    FWIW, my car is pearl white, virtually brand new, only gets about 2k miles a year, and never sees rain, and always garaged.

What do you guys think? Clearbra or not?

p.s. Upon my search of this topic, why are there so many people like Rasky, for example, that want to REMOVE this clear bra? Why? faded? chipped? ugly?
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another Clear Bra predicament

I wouldn't stick any on the hood. I wish I would have done my entire front bumper though. My front bumper and the gill area on my Camaro are like rock chip city. I think that sticking it on the hood would be easy to see the line going across.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally have never had a new enough car to have a clear bra installed! But a couple of guys I work with have them and they seem to really like them. I've used leather bras in the past and they are a pain...
    My name is Ted and I'm a Auto Geek!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IOMCAMARO View Post
    I wouldn't stick any on the hood. I wish I would have done my entire front bumper though. My front bumper and the gill area on my Camaro are like rock chip city. I think that sticking it on the hood would be easy to see the line going across.
    Yeah, I love my clear bra on the entire front bumper... as it really works at making bug removal super duper easy. Just use an MF with detail spray and voila. But I hear ya on the visible line on the hood though. I just keep wondering if the line is something I can live with.... or whether or not the line would be really hard to see on PW.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarelane View Post
    I personally have never had a new enough car to have a clear bra installed! But a couple of guys I work with have them and they seem to really like them. I've used leather bras in the past and they are a pain...
    Do the people at work have the clear bra hood line??? Can you see it? Are they happy with it?

Any one else with opinions??? Please keep em coming!!!! Advice and opinions needed!

Post Thanks / Like

This stuff works great!

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportscarhiatus View Post
    I have Ventureshield on my entire front bumper. ???

I am strongly considering getting the 18" of hood
    I personally wouldn't get the bikini-cut (18")...whole hood or none. I've got one of my vehicles whole hood covered in the XPel PPF...It has saved the hood from a lot of damage, looks good...You may enjoy the detailing aspects on your hood, I know I did, but a re-spray is a lot more costly than PPF, IMO.

and fenders done (will be in 3M).
    Not a bad idea...fenders also will get some environmental/road debris thrown at them

fyi, doing the entire hood is out of the question due to cost, and I don't really want an entire hood covered in film... that would take away from my enjoyment of buffing and working with the actual paint.

So if I forego the clear bra,???

I plan to simply use blue painters tape on the hood area, then use the OEM leather bra on top of it to avoid any direct contact with the paint. This would be what I would do for long highway drives.
    Leather Bras are notorious for damaging paint, tedious upkeep, and, if it's a good and tight fit, will actually cause the front clip to move around.

I am really concerned about the following:
    • edge of the clear bra being visible and taking away from the beauty of my paint in general
    • possible yellowing or fading of the clear bra.
    • orange peeling texture of the bra, or just having it visually be less appealing in terms of gloss, etc, than the rest of the exposed paint, esp the hood.
    • damage to the paint underneath upon removal.
    FWIW, my car is pearl white, virtually brand new, only gets about 2k miles a year, and never sees rain, and always garaged.

What do you guys think? Clearbra or not? ???
    The reason for my red ???: At first you say you have VentureShield, your sig says Llumar, then you have the OEM Leather bra, and finally you want to know: clear bra or not.......Just has me a little confused, that's all.

As far as your concerns: As little exposure to the outside world, and all of its havoc/impending damage, as your vehicle will get, your PPF, if of a reputable manufacturer/installed properly, should last a very, very long time.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

^ Thanks for the response Bob. Let me clarify a few things.

Llumar paint protection film was used on my bumper and mirrors. I believe, that was the same brand/company as Ventureshield. I may be wrong I guess. This question that I posed about putting it on the hood is new.... as in, I am "thinking" about getting it done, since I didn't before. Problem is, the guy that I originally had put this on, is now gone. So the new place where I am getting it done only is licensed to do 3M, and not Llumar/Ventureshield.

As for the leather bra, I only use the piece that goes on the hood! (It's separate from the entire bumper piece, which I don't use since I already have PPF on there.) The leather bra is OEM and you can buy from Nissan/dealer. As I stated above, that is what I currently do for long drives on the highway. My process: I use painter's tape on the hood to cover up the areas that the leather bra/bikini will touch. Smart eh? That way, the leather bra NEVER comes into contact with my paint. But yes, it's just a pain in the rear to apply/remove all the time, esp with my painter's tape method.

So anyway, that's why I am in the predicament I am in. Bikini/18" clear bra on hood or not?!?!?! Or just suck it up and do my painter's tape/leather bra on hood all the time???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportscarhiatus View Post
    ^ Thanks for the response Bob. Let me clarify a few things.

Llumar paint protection film was used on my bumper and mirrors. I believe, that was the same brand/company as Ventureshield. I may be wrong I guess. This question that I posed about putting it on the hood is new.... as in, I am "thinking" about getting it done, since I didn't before. Problem is, the guy that I originally had put this on, is now gone. So the new place where I am getting it done only is licensed to do 3M, and not Llumar/Ventureshield.

As for the leather bra, I only use the piece that goes on the hood! (It's separate from the entire bumper piece, which I don't use.) The leather bra is OEM and you can buy from Nissan/dealer. As I stated above, that is what I currently do for long drives on the highway. My process: I use painter's tape on the hood to cover up the areas that the leather bra/bikini will touch. Smart eh? That way, the leather bra NEVER comes into contact with my paint. But yes, it's just a pain in the rear to apply/remove all the time, esp with my painter's tape method.

So anyway, that's why I am in the predicament I am in. Bikini/18" clear bra on hood or not?!?!?! Or just suck it up and do my painter's tape/leather bra on hood all the time???
    -Thanks for the clarification. I may be wrong, but i believe 3M now owns VentureShield...their Energy Products Division(EPD) has various licensed installers.

-Yes! Smart idea on the OEM hood "deflector" bra.

-IMHO, the bikini-cut (18") will too clearly show the start/stop line. So, NO.
    -Until the cost of a whole hood PPF install is no longer prohibitive, "sucking it up", with your tried and true method, may be your only recourse.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a clear bra on my Black Audi A5 and agree, a bra on the bumper works great, no chips and is not noticeable.

The bra on the hood looked good the first year, but now is has some marks in it that will not come out and you can easily see a line where the bra ends. I also have a couple of places where salt or rocks actually pierced the product. So, I have been thinking about getting it the bra on the hood redone.

On the plus side, the bra has saved my hood from the getting the little stone chips that really are noticeable on a black car. I had a black BMW prior to the Audi and did not have a bra installed and wish I did. After the first year the little chips on the front of the hood were killing me and I ultimately had the hood repainted.

I would do the bra again, just wish there was some good way to get marks out of it. I have tried polishing it and that works pretty good, but there are still some bugs (or something else that splattered on it) that will not come out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    -Thanks for the clarification. I may be wrong, but i believe 3M now owns VentureShield...their Energy Products Division(EPD) has various licensed installers.

-Yes! Smart idea on the OEM hood "deflector" bra.

-IMHO, the bikini-cut (18") will too clearly show the start/stop line. So, NO.
    -Until the cost of a whole hood PPF install is no longer prohibitive, "sucking it up", with your tried and true method, may be your only recourse.

Bob
    Thanks Bob...

So in your opinion, is the only negative side to the bikini/18" PPF on the hood, purely visual? as in.... the line is clearly visible? Any other draw backs to having the film on the hood in general?

Are there folks on here who have the 18"/bikini clearbra that actually like it and are really glad they did it? I would like to hear the other side of the story...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast