autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Ultima Paint Guard Plus?

Hi guys, I plan to use UPGP for the first time in a the next few weeks and wanted to ask for some tips on application and have other questions as well.

Could I use an ordinary foam pad like the Meguiar's yellow foam pad or do I really have to use the supplied microfiber pad?

What is its shelf life? I read somewhere that it expires in 2 years is this true?

Can I also get your opinions on durability?

Finally, is it really that good?

Tried doing a search or at least I think I did but did not get much info on it. LOL!

Thanks a lot guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultima Paint Guard Plus?

Quote Originally Posted by sydster View Post
    Hi guys, I plan to use UPGP for the first time in a the next few weeks and wanted to ask for some tips on application and have other questions as well.

Could I use an ordinary foam pad like the Meguiar's yellow foam pad or do I really have to use the supplied microfiber pad?

What is its shelf life? I read somewhere that it expires in 2 years is this true?

Can I also get your opinions on durability?

Finally, is it really that good?

Tried doing a search or at least I think I did but did not get much info on it. LOL!

Thanks a lot guys!

Ultima Paint Guard Plus is my "go to" sealant. I really love the stuff.

Any applicator will work, but the supplied microfiber applicator is ideal. It allows for covering larger surface area in one swipe and is easier to grip while applying.

I have UPGP from 2008 and have spoken to the manufacturer and they say that its fine.

I would say that durability is around 4-5 months. I like to apply any sealant quarterly (every 3-4 months) here in FL for maximum protection. It is so easy to apply that it just makes sense to apply more often.

YES! It is really that good!
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Aircraft Detailing
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

The shelf life rumor you heard is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG
    My UPGP tips:

I love all the Ultima products I've used.

Ultima Paint prep plus works as a light polish but also leaves behind a primer for the UPGP. You do not have to use the UPPP. If you don't then you should clean the paint after polishing so the UPGP bonds properly.

Ultima Paint Guard Plus

UPGP is extremely easy to apply. The mistake people make is they apply too much. Apply the UPGP by hand and follow the directions! Below is my method which should not contradict the instructions you receive with the product.

1.-Shake the bottle.

2.-Take a clean microfiber applicator and spray 1 spray onto it to prime it.

3.-Spray it once more and do about a 3 SQ FT area.

4.-Apply in circular motions just making sure to overlap and cover the entire area. You are not polishing so no need to rub too hard or over and over. I always finish with straight lines from front to back of the panel. 3 SQ FT is an estimate. Another thing to look for is that your applicator is no longer leaving anything on the paint. But on certain colors and without really good lighting its sometimes hard to tell anyway. I basically make sure I do about 3 SQ FT. Then I'll wipe over to the side a bit where I know I haven't applied any to see if there is still anything coming off the pad. Fred gave me a tip that is a great idea. When you are no longer sure if anything is on the pad touch your clean window with it and you'll be able to see if there is still product on the applicator.

5.-If I don't see anything then its time for (1) more spritz to the applicator.

6.-Repeat until you get to the last panel. Now just walk away. Their may or may not be a slight film on the paint for a bit but it starts it's bonding process immediately. Now just DO NOT touch Wait 12 hours and inspect. There should be no need to do anything else. This is not a product that you have to buff off. In the unlikely chance that their is a streak somewhere after 12 hours of curing simply take some Ultima QD and spray and wipe the streak with a high quality MF towel.

Notes:

Even though on some colors or in some lighting it seems like you aren't putting anything on your paint just TRUST the product. It will come out great if you don't over apply. I didn't have any trouble at all even the first time but I have read some people apply too much. It is a little disconcerting not always being able to tell if you are putting anything on your paint.
    Assuming you have a garage that isn't dusty you can place the second coat after 12 hours. If there is going to be a little dust on the car then I would qd with Ultima QD spray and then add next coat. I place 3 layers of UPGP over the paint. One coat every 12 hours.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

For me MF works much better than a foam applicator. They key is super thin, when the pad drags, spray once more. UPGP is great but I prefer the glassier looks of Optiseal over UPGP's more oily look.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by premium View Post
    Ultima Paint Guard Plus is my "go to" sealant. I really love the stuff.

Any applicator will work, but the supplied microfiber applicator is ideal. It allows for covering larger surface area in one swipe and is easier to grip while applying.

I have UPGP from 2008 and have spoken to the manufacturer and they say that its fine.

I would say that durability is around 4-5 months. I like to apply any sealant quarterly (every 3-4 months) here in FL for maximum protection. It is so easy to apply that it just makes sense to apply more often.

YES! It is really that good!
    Thanks a lot premium! Cant wait to try my UPGP, still have a coat of KSG on my finish that is still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    The shelf life rumor you heard is not true.
    Thanks a lot Corey!

I knew it I was going to hear from the Ultima expert, this was what I was looking for but could not find it for some reason. I already have this printed out and kept in my garage for future use, by the way I really enjoy all reviews and tips, keep it up bud.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yakky View Post
    For me MF works much better than a foam applicator. They key is super thin, when the pad drags, spray once more. UPGP is great but I prefer the glassier looks of Optiseal over UPGP's more oily look.
    Thanks! I like oily!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can it be layered?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRebel View Post
    Can it be layered?
    Had 9 coats at one time. So easy to apply and walk away.

Post Thanks / Like

Ultima Paint Guard Plus is an incredibly easy product to use. When used according to directions it can easily be applied to an entire car in about 15 minutes. The supplied Microfiber applicator is ideal for its application so look no further.

It is somewhat more expensive but it's ease of use, gloss, and durability makes the additional cost quite acceptable....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast