autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

helping a new AG member out this weekend. Roadtrip!!!

I'm taking a little road trip up to Honesdale PA about 3 hours north of here this weekend to work with michael13, the author of this thread... http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-disabled.html

Michael and I have been in contact ever since the day he posted that thread. He has been kind enough to write over 70 hours of code to get me a website up and online so in return we have decided that a trip up to his place to teach him the ropes of detailing would be sufficient payment for his hard work at the keyboard.

The site is basically built and I have purchased the URL which is tdmad.com but I have been so busy between my day job and my detailing business that I really haven't had time to write the content for it so it has not been hosted yet.

Some of the things that Michael and I will get involved in are some basic theory of what auto detailing is and where the money is in the industry. We will discuss some of the pitfalls and unexpected dangers/damage that can occur while detailing and how to avoid them.

I'll be taking with me an assortment of pads both wool and foam all of varying sizes and shapes.

An assortment of compounds from rocks in a bottle down to M-105.

An assortment of polishes and AIOs.

An assortment of waxes and sealants.

An assortment of clays from aggressive down to fine grade clay.

I'll be taking a Meguiars G110V2, a Makita rotary, a Dynabrade attachment, a Flex 3401 and a Cyclo polisher with pads and brushes both, so that Michael can get some hands on experience on all the types of polishing machines to get a feel for which will better suit his needs and which he will feel more comfortable using.

My van will serve as a good beater for him to practice on with the rotary as I really don't care if he strikes through the clear or burns the paint on it however I don't believe he will.

I'll be taking some Folex and other cleaners with me so we can get involved in doing some interior work as well. We will cover some poorman's carpet extracting with both a standard 5 H.P. shop vac and my monster coin op vacuum unit which will suck the carpet right off the floor.

I'll have with me way too many brushes as I am a brush junky and hopefully will be leaving a few of them up there with him.

I also plan on taking with me a dozen or so empty sample bottles so that Michael can choose some of the products that I have that he may want to practice with after I have gone back home.

Michael has talked about throwing some steaks and chicken on the BB-Q grille which if you've ever seen a picture of me you'd know interests me.

This should be an interesting and fun road trip but unfortunately "Jack" will be staying with her Pappy for the weekend as Michael has cats that will beat "Jack" up. Honestly "Jack" is unrelenting when it comes to cats and if she can catch them she'll bite down on them hard. Kind of weird because she is the sweetest dog when it comes to kids, other people and other dogs.

I'll be heading up early Saturday morning and checking into a hotel that is just up the street from his place and will be working with him both Saturday and Sunday to head back home Sunday evening.

I do intend on taking my camera and taking lots of pictures which I'll post in this thread upon my return home.

Now if the weather just holds out we'll be sure to have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: helping a new AG member out this weekend. Roadtrip!!!

This is a very good thing your doing Dave. Your a better man then me, as I do not travel without Trouble

J/K Hoping you guys have a blast
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

that is very cool

Post Thanks / Like

Nice...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool!
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    This is a very good thing your doing Dave. Your a better man then me, as I do not travel without Trouble

J/K Hoping you guys have a blast
    Thanks Flash, Jack really needs another road trip too. I hope to take her back up to Maine to Visit with njcarting1 again. Bill is such a gracious host when we go up there but Bill and I have decided that if Jack and I can make it up there this year, there will be no detailing going on...just chilling and having fun is all. Jack will be 15 years old this Christmas so we ought not drag our feet for too long.

Post Thanks / Like

In the past year I have read a lot of great stories of unconditional helpfulness here on AG. I have to tell you Dave this one ranks right up at the top. I think when Tom's wife had the twins last year and the way all the people here pulled together for them was the top, your willingness to help michael13 in the great detail that you explained above show what a great person you are and that there still are a lot like you in this world.This amazes me because where I work there is nothing like this and I have become kind of numb to it, but reading things like this on AG really helps to keep me going. I applaud you and wish I could be a little more like you. This gives me hope I can work on it.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... Thanks Dave. It's a lot of hard work giving of one's self and doing the best that one can. I fall short of this mark a lot of the time just because of how busy things tend to get trying to work a full time job and work the rest of my time trying to grow my detailing business.

These trips are part of growing the business. I detailed 3 cars this past weekend so that i could have this weekend open to take this trip.

I am humbled to think of myself as an inspiration. Thanks for the kind words.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome man. You are a noble man! I'm glad you two could work out a situation that works for both of you. That's how it's done! One hand washes the other.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you two have a great time
    Hello my name is Sean

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast