autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

noob looking for product recommendation...

I'm looking for some product recommendations for some scratches and swirls I've got. In my intro thread I posted a couple days ago, I mentioned this, but I was told this may be the more appropriate area for this question. I've gotten some pictures of some of the stuff I'm trying to get rid of. Nothing is too major, as in you can barely feel it or you can't feel it at all... just see it. There are just a couple spots that you can actually feel with your fingernail and I'm guessing without getting into sanding or some major work, they're not really correctable? This doesn't really bother me, because it's my daily driver, so it doesn't need to be perfect. I just want it to be clean and shiny overall. And I'm looking for a finish that's going to last and be reasonably durable, as the car spends 99% of its life outside, currently. Anyways, enough talk. Here's the pictures.

These show the swirls I've got. Not too bad, but they're there.

This one shows the light surface scratches and scuffs. These are in a few small places around the car. I think the previous owner wasn't too careful with it.

Thanks in advance for the help, and if there's too many pictures here, I'll take some down.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: noob looking for product recommendation...

IMO i'd use 105/205 to start on a test section. If the results I desire are not achieved, I would try Menz Power Gloss, followed by SIP.

What machine, pads, and products do you have access to?
    Jon Miles

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    IMO i'd use 105/205 to start on a test section. If the results I desire are not achieved, I would try Menz Power Gloss, followed by SIP.

What machine, pads, and products do you have access to?
    Thanks! I currently have no machine or pads. It's on my list of supplies to obtain in the future. Well... I do have a machine, but it's a random orbit wood sander, and I'm fairly sure it won't work. So I'm hoping to pick up a PC 7424 sometime soon. It might not be until spring, as the weather is getting into the typical mid-Ohio weather, so I'm just doing some research now so I can start slowly getting the stuff I need. I see a lot of people using the 105 & 205 together, but I've also read people having trouble with the learning curve associated with these products. I'm new to the whole polishing process, so are these "beginner" products?

Post Thanks / Like

I did not see much of a learning curve to these products. I heard you can just stop buffing when the defects are removed, and it is true. Its easier IMO than trying to judge how well a product is breaking down.

The 105/205 combo is a great tag team for most projects, the only problem I see is that people have 105 drying too quickly on them. Simple fix is to research the Kevin Brown method, it works well to extend working time. The 205 is a breeze to work.
    Jon Miles

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm revisiting this thread as I am finally able to obtain some products to get started on that "show car shine" I'm looking for. I want to get some more input on a few product combinations I've looked into and see which one would be most recommended.
    As mentioned above, I've got Meg's 105/205 on my short list.
    Another pair is Menzerna's Intensive Polish and Final Polish.
    Also, another set I've considered is Poorboy's SSR1 and SSR2.5.
    Pinnacle's XMT line looks decent as well...

Are there any others that I've overlooked?

I am planning on topping whatever polish I choose with Menzerna's Power Lock Sealant and a coat of Natty's Blue.

And I'm going to pick up one of AG's 7424 kits with a selection of LC pads. I was thinking Orange, Gray and Gold pads should take care of what I've got...?

Thanks in advance for your help. It is much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2K7MS6 View Post
    And I'm going to pick up one of AG's 7424 kits with a selection of LC pads. I was thinking Orange, Gray and Gold pads should take care of what I've got...?

Thanks in advance for your help. It is much appreciated!

I would pick up some white LC pads if you are going to be compounding with the orange. You would use orange with M105 and then white with M205, or Orange with Powergloss and then white with SIP.