autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

is it really necessary to tape off before polishing/waxing?

im using poliseal on my GG DA polisher, from what ive heard poliseal doesnt stain trim. i havent taped any car off (did it on 2 cars) before using it and it came out fine, i did have to go back and clean up sum dust (very very little) but other than that no problems.

it seems to me that poliseal really doesnt dust much, and even on speed 6 on my GG polisher i have zero sling.

do you guys tape off every car? what parts do you tape off?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: is it really necessary to tape off before polishing/waxing?

only when compounding with a rotary
    ELITE
    Professional Detailing
    -Sergio-

Post Thanks / Like
    No matter what, if I pull out a polisher and there's a spot on the vehicle I can't reach to clean out easily I'm taping it, some spots you just can't reach
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

what do you guys use to go back and reach spots that have wax on them?

i used to use a toothbrush around trim but i noticed it scratches clear coat if i use it dry, maybe ill spray some ONR (diluted for use as clay lube/quick detailer) and try it like that. maybe ill switch over to a paint brush, the bristles are softer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually paint brushes for me with onr at qd str as lube
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

I accidentally stripped away the outer coating on the rubber sunroof gasket in spots by not taping well enough (tape lifted off), so not taping this area would certainly cause damage. And I was only using Menzerna intensive polish which is not really that harsh.

Post Thanks / Like

It takes less time to tape off trim than it does to clean up trim at the end of the job so if there is trim that looks like it will be polished over by accident then I tape it off to save time.

If using a rotary I'll tape off any trim that can be damaged by a spinning pad on a rotary which is pretty much any trim. I have a very steady hand while using my rotary and sometimes don't tape off trim when I'm rushed for time but unexpected mistakes can happen even with the most skilled of rotary users so tape is good insurance for not getting bit by the rotary. All it takes is one quick slip and OUCH!!! it's too late.

I know you're using a DA and Poli-Seal doesn't stain trim but it does shine trim and a finished detail with shiny spots all over the trim work doesn't look so good and there's still the clean up factor. Time is money, tape is money, figure out which costs less and go with it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    It takes less time to tape off trim than it does to clean up trim at the end of the job so if there is trim that looks like it will be polished over by accident then I tape it off to save time.

If using a rotary I'll tape off any trim that can be damaged by a spinning pad on a rotary which is pretty much any trim. I have a very steady hand while using my rotary and sometimes don't tape off trim when I'm rushed for time but unexpected mistakes can happen even with the most skilled of rotary users so tape is good insurance for not getting bit by the rotary. All it takes is one quick slip and OUCH!!! it's too late.

I know you're using a DA and Poli-Seal doesn't stain trim but it does shine trim and a finished detail with shiny spots all over the trim work doesn't look so good and there's still the clean up factor. Time is money, tape is money, figure out which costs less and go with it.
    Great advice.

Here's my general rule of thumb... if I don't want to detail the car after I've buffed it out then I tape anything off that could be stained.

I think what I write here pretty much sums up my mindset and thus my approach...

"Polishing paint is polishing paint, detailing is getting the wax out of the cracks"

There's a difference between working on your own car and working on a someone else's car, with your own car you can choose to be more or less careful because you know what you'll live with, you also the most knowledgeable with all the trouble spots, i.e. pebble textured black plastic trim, felt, rubber, plastic, etc.

With someone else's car, the last thing I want is for the owner to use my name as cuss word every time they look at stained trim... so I do what it takes to avoid staining trim.

I certainly don't want to be the other guy...

TOGW = The Other Guy's Wax

In the end, everyone can find a way that works best for them, it's faster to slow down and avoid getting compound and polish residue on hard to detail trim that includes being very careful not to cream out trim while buffing... what I've noticed about people in general is they plan on being careful but it's pretty hard not to at some point get residue on trim.