autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2011 Lexus ES 350 / D151

I'll be detailing my neighbor's 2011 Lexus ES 350 here in the coming weeks as a trade for him installing a big brake upgrade on my car. I don't know the name of the color, but it's the dark metallic gray that is pretty popular with Lexus. I'm wondering if anyone can provide their experience with this paint. Is it fairly easy to polish, or is it a fairly hard clear? Do you think D151 will finish down nicely? I bought a gallon of it and haven't tried it out yet. I'm low on M205 and don't have anything else on hand. It's a daily driven car that sits outside 24/7, so perfection isn't 100% necessary. The car had some holograms from the factory or dealership, which is the primary focus. Do you suppose D151 and a PC7424XP will do the trick? I'll be using LC flat orange and white pads. I'll probably just finish it with a Natty's Paste Wax as opposed to DP Poli Coat since he'll probably just end up taking the car through an auto wash the following week, anyway.

So fellow AG'ers, your experience is appreciated as I don't have any experience with this type of car, or with D151. I don't want to buy any other polishes or compounds if I don't need to right now.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2011 Lexus ES 350 / D151

Bueller? Bueller.....?

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, it really doesn't matter what anyone's opinion of the paint hardness is. It's your experience that matters. Besides, what I might consider medium, you might consider hard. The answer, always, in my book is to test the worse section out and see what aggressiveness you need to accomplish your goal. If the hood is the worse, you might be able to dial back the aggressiveness on the sides even. You just have to size up every panel on its own needs. Have a variety of pads from foam to wool and a variety of products and you will be able to handle whatever comes your way.

Post Thanks / Like

My RAV4 is the same color - the dark metallic grey. It polishes fairly easily using WG TSR on an orange pad and WG FG on a white pad. Of course, you're not really polishing the base color, you're polishing the clear. I polished my wife's 2011 Obsidian Black Lexus ES using WG TSR and FG both on a white pad as an initial test. That was not agressive enough to remove all of the swirls and harilines. It got about 80%. I'll be re-doing with the same combo I used on my RAV. I have not used D151 but hopefully that's enough info to get you started.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mark,

If you've never used Meguiar's D151 you're in for a surprise!

Meguiar's D151 is a very nice one step product. It's designed to be aggressive enough to remove severe defects with a cutting pad, wool or yellow, and by switching to a green or white foam pad finishes up nicely producing a gorgeous shine.

I've even removed holograms with this product by using it with a gray foam pad.

Forgot to mention use the 5 1/2" pads on your dual action polisher for better results.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to encounter any 2011 paint that is horribly hard ... Lexus IME has medium hardness and a 2011 car would prob be a knock down... I read that a paint develops it's overall hardness as a result of how it's cared for ... Would a far that sits outside have harder paint than a garage queen ... Probably so.
    Do a test spot with the white pad and 151 and you should be happy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments, Richy. I don't detail for a living, and having just gotten into the hobby this past fall, I don't have the variety of tools and products that most of the people on here have. I was hoping someone might be able to comment on whether I might be taking on too much with the PC7424XP and D151 with LC flat pads. Hopefully the Lexus clear is nothing like what I've heard the Corvette clear is. Maybe I'll go do a test spot in the coming days so I know whether I'll need a more aggressive compound. I'm not in the position to purchase a rotary, nor do I want to learn how to use one on a brand new Lexus.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys! That makes me feel quite a bit better about tackling his car. I've heard great things about D151 and I'm limited to the PCXP and orange and white LC flat pads. I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the combination!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I've even removed holograms with this product by using it with a gray foam pad.
    Whoa!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KSVT View Post
    Thanks for the comments, Richy. I don't detail for a living, and having just gotten into the hobby this past fall, I don't have the variety of tools and products that most of the people on here have. I was hoping someone might be able to comment on whether I might be taking on too much with the PC7424XP and D151 with LC flat pads. Hopefully the Lexus clear is nothing like what I've heard the Corvette clear is. Maybe I'll go do a test spot in the coming days so I know whether I'll need a more aggressive compound. I'm not in the position to purchase a rotary, nor do I want to learn how to use one on a brand new Lexus.

Mark
    My pleasure Mark. I wasn't trying to imply you should get a rotary. My comments were a guideline to tackling the issue of assessing paint hardness. Your DA is a lot better equipped to handle a lot more serious paint issues than ever before due to the new Megs system as well as the Surbuff pads. Try your milder pads first and see how it goes and move up as necessary. To me, that's the fun part: seeing what works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast