autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puzzling

Post Thanks / Like

Puzzling

As many here know, I like experimenting with various products. I read and appreciate the product reviews posted and they let me know whether or not I might wish to give them a try.

My wife’s car; 2004 Toyota Camry, and my truck; 1999 Dodge Dakota are the test beds for most products I'll try but I also have access to a 2008 Ford Escape and a 2011 Hyundai Elantra.

Date: 24-Apr-11

I had a couple of new products to put through their paces so here's what I did.

Products

• Detailer’s Pro Series Poli-Coat Paint Sealant
    • Ultima Paint Guard Plus

Vehicle: 2004 Tayota Camry

As part of any test, I spray the car down with Meguiar’s All Purpose Cleaner then wash the car with a solution of dawn and warm water. Once complete each panel is clayed thoroughly, wiped dry, they quickly wiped with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Weather:

Perfectly sunny and about 62 degrees.

Panels

• Hood
    • Trunk

Polish

After tapping off each section I polished it with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO83Q with a clean White foam CCS pad, and Menzerna Super Finish PO106FA with a clean Gray CCS foam pad. Both of these work fabulously well together leaving the surface very glossy.

Prep

Once the polishing was complete I wiped down each panel with an Isopropyl Alcohol and water solution then dried each area with a Microfiber towel.

Hood

I applied Detailer’s Pro Series Poli-Coat Paint Sealant with a Porter Cable 7424 polisher and a clean Red CCS pad. The product lay down nicely and once it dried to a light haze I buffed it off revealing a super glossy finish.

Trunk

I applied Ultima Paint Guard Plus according to directions using the Microfiber applicator supplied with the product. A thin coat is all you need to I applied it sparingly but ensured the surface was completely covered.

Date: 08-May-11

I washed the Camry with a solution of Duragloss 901 and slightly warm water. There was nothing special about this wash and I’ve used this product many times and love the way it works. I have a lambs-wool wash mitt that I use and keep clean especially for this purpose.

I washed and rinsed each section and expected to see beading, especially after using and applying these products on two weeks prior. What I found was ZERO beading, nothing, Nada, Zilch… Perplexed, I dried the entire car with a leaf blower and inspected each surface; both were glass smooth to the touch and appeared very glossy.

An attribute I did notice was when dried with the leaf blower the water easily and quickly left the surface giving me an indication that something was still there. In static sense the water on the hood had very lazy and somewhat medium to large size beads whereas the trunk was merely a flat sheet.

We normally associate water bead, size and shape to the quality and existence of surface protection on a vehicle. These was the first time I’ve seen something different and even though once dry, the surfaces are very bright and glossy indicating that something’s there.

It just seems a bit odd…

Any comments, thoughts, ideas, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Puzzling

Thats very odd indeed Bobby. When you applied the UPGP what time of day was it? What I am asking is if there is any way it could have received nightime condensation before curing completely.

Edit: Wow, your saying the Policoat wasn't beading either? Weird... still same question but now this seems very odd... I'm sure you would have allowed enough time to cure... Some kind of odd enigma is at work here!!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

You know Richard had some kind of crazy experience like this with Nattys Blue once... You might ask him what he isolated the problem as.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Thats very odd indeed Bobby. When you applied the UPGP what time of day was it? What I am asking is if there is any way it could have received nightime condensation before curing completely.

Edit: Wow, your saying the Policoat wasn't beading either? Weird... still same question but now this seems very odd... I'm sure you would have allowed enough time to cure... Some kind of odd enigma is at work here!!
    Hey Corey,

I think it was mid afternoon.

From the Ultima Site

"When applying, sealant should not go on looking “wet”. Proper application leaves what appears to be an oily film, which will begin to dry immediately. Do Not Buff Off or Wipe! When properly applied, the vehicle’s paint finish will be glossy and streak-free in less than 30 minutes. The longer you wait (up to 12 hours) the better. After 1 hour, you can drive your vehicle. Driving (air friction) will accelerate the cure time."

I'm scratching my head here and the lack of beading is puzzling indeed. I've wondered too if moisture somehow played a roll here but it should have had at least 6 hours before any condensation bean to form and that's if I left out outdoors.

I may strip both sections and redo them taking careful consideration of time, temp and moisture. I don't think any of these products should be this sensitive to moisture after 6 hours of curing time...........hopefully not anyway..

Hmmm, this is truly a strange one.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the 901 gave more of a sheeting action?

Did you use a drying agent? (I did notice you didn't mention it, just thought I'd ask)

What do I know?lol
    ELITE
    Professional Detailing
    -Sergio-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Pro View Post
    Maybe the 901 gave more of a sheeting action?

Did you use a drying agent? (I did notice you didn't mention it, just thought I'd ask)

What do I know?lol
    I really don't know and I'm sort of stumped. It's certainly possible and maybe I'll try a different car wash as I have several to choose from...

I didn't use a drying agent but all comments and suggestions are welcome because this one's quite odd...

Thanks..

Post Thanks / Like

Did it bead when you rinsed before washing?
    ELITE
    Professional Detailing
    -Sergio-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Pro View Post
    Did it bead when you rinsed before washing?
    Another great question!

I'd have to say no only because the car was covered with dirt, pollen, dust, and tree debris.

Keep thinking!!

Come on you other guys, don't be afraid to chime in here too. Someone has the answer!!

So far only Corey and Sergio....

Post Thanks / Like

I am monitoring this because I have a similar situation going on right now with Fourstar UPP. I've used this product before on the same car, and it came out leaving tiny tight little beads. This time they are large lazy flat beads. I just don't get it.
    Kurt
    Is your ride a "Diamond in the Rough?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast