autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Why do I keep getting hologram out of D151 !?

I want to love D151.. I really want !! but I'm starting to give up with that product..

Everytime I taclke a dark-colored paint, it seems to cause some holograms or haze. I usually hit it with an orange CCS pad but after having these problems.. I thought : D151 don't like agressive pad.

So today I did a chevrolet van with a dark metallic blue paint. I used D151 with a white CCS pad on a makita rotary speed 2.5 . It looked great... then the sun went down and I could see buffer trail.

It's freakin weird ; Usually defect only shows under true sunlight, well today it was the other way. Under bright sun, paint look perfect ( the car is only 6 month old, just a quick 1-step was enought) but with the cloud, I could see buffer trails.

Yes, I prep my pad so there's no dry buffing, I also use from panel to panel, DP conditionner spritz. I don't get it.. it's only a white ccs pad... That polish only seems to look good on light colored car, every time I hit it on a dark-colored car it seems to give bad result.

I love the smell, the cost, how easy it's to buff out, I like the wax inside. but this is turning me off. Maybe I should stick to Menzerna SIP and 106ff. maybe I should have tackle that car with SIP and wite ccs.
    A black 1990 Skyline GTR get a complete restoration : winner of AG' show and shine in 2010
    Facebook ; WaxxonSpa |||| website ; www.waxxon.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why do I keep getting hologram out of D151 !?

Subscribing because I have had same issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Not had that issue with D151 on black. You can always follow up with D151 via a DA after correcting with a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like
    On dark colored soft paints slow your makita down to 1.5 and lighten the pressure on your last pass, that white pad should have no holograms if your keeping the pad flat and lower the speed just a tad
    A passion for perfection!

Post Thanks / Like

I also had the same problem with a white pad. Like they say you can use a grey pad but then again its a ONE step. I dont want to have to go over the entire car again for the same price i'd minus well use sip and 106 for that! I did use a rotary on a red car and the holograms where pretty bad. Im sure though, if you slow it down a bit and lighten up on pressure it should be a no holo finish
    5starmotoring88@gmail.com
    2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin Brown gets way in depth about polishing with rotary and D-151 on some of his overseas posts. I suggest that you look into it for some of your answers.

Post Thanks / Like

link for brown?
    5starmotoring88@gmail.com
    2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Finishing down to near perfection with a rotary regardless of products is pretty darn hard... I use 151 regularly with a Mega polishing pad and Flex with no probs whatsoever and I also use 151 with a wool pad on gelcoat with no buffer trails... Granted gel coat is way harder
    One way I found to finish nicely with 151 and a rotary when I was doing one steppers on paint was to do the initial pass with med-light pressure to correct and the a second pass with no pressure at a lower speed to jewel the finish with no pressure
    Try it and see how that works for you, did for me but now I simply prefer the flex for all paint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamores23 View Post
    link for brown?
    Posting links to other detailing sites is against the rules. Google Kevin Brown method, uk and you'll find it.

One night I set out to read everything that I could find written by Kevin Brown and as a result of taking what I learned that night and applying that info, tweaking the techniques that I had already developed for myself, I was able to do the best correction work I'd ever done and in half the time. I have been able to put my DA polisher on a shelf and produce hologram free paint finishes using my rotary only.

While there are a lot of great tips and suggestions all over the internet I still had to go out and try them. Some I liked and some I didn't. In the end I developed a technique that works for me and now use it often. I am constantly studying what is going on where the pad meets the paint and it seems that no two jobs can be done exactly alike so I just need to have to be willing to change my approach with trying different pads, machine speed settings, applied pressure, arm speed etc. There is a learning curve on each and every job that I do. Good luck figuring it out for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredcandetail View Post
    Finishing down to near perfection with a rotary regardless of products is pretty darn hard... I use 151 regularly with a Mega polishing pad and Flex with no probs whatsoever and I also use 151 with a wool pad on gelcoat with no buffer trails... Granted gel coat is way harder
    One way I found to finish nicely with 151 and a rotary when I was doing one steppers on paint was to do the initial pass with med-light pressure to correct and the a second pass with no pressure at a lower speed to jewel the finish with no pressure
    Try it and see how that works for you, did for me but now I simply prefer the flex for all paint
    Fred's touched on an important point..

A rotary by its operation will induce holograms because it rotates. The key here is how to remove them.

An orange pad on a rotary performs well in removing small surface imperfections and surface oxidation but it is an aggressive pad and will leave something behind.

Progressively, use softer pads, White, Gray, Blue, and Meguiar's D151 and you should see them becoming harder and harder to detect. Slowing the speed with a softer pad is also another way to remove them but the approach might be dictated by the paint itself.

I always finish up with a dual action polisher. This is a sure fire way to even everything out and because of its operation makes it an ideal tool for every detailer...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast