autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Green BMW help

Post Thanks / Like

Green BMW help

My father in law bought an older BMW and wants me to help bring the paint back to life.

I have no idea if the car has been re-painted or anything like that. A few questions before i start on someone else's car for the first time...

1. Anything in particular about BMW paint that I need to know/worry about?

2. It has a yellow color strip on it. Should I avoid this?

3. Most importantly, I took a couple pictures of something I noticed while I was looking it over. Can anyone tell me what I am seeing here? It looks like two different colors of green or coating coming off?

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Green BMW help

The picture is where the clear was failing and was reshot

This yellow strip you speak of. where is its location?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    My father in law bought an older BMW and wants me to help bring the paint back to life.

I have no idea if the car has been re-painted or anything like that. A few questions before i start on someone else's car for the first time...

1. Anything in particular about BMW paint that I need to know/worry about?

2. It has a yellow color strip on it. Should I avoid this?

3. Most importantly, I took a couple pictures of something I noticed while I was looking it over. Can anyone tell me what I am seeing here? It looks like two different colors of green or coating coming off?

Thanks everyone!
    All of the BMW paint I have worked on is normal. Some are hard some like Jet black are soft but in the end its still paint.

the second pic kinda looks like clear coat is chipping off. Im not certain of this since i cant really tell. If that is the case and your father in law doesnt want to drop the coin to get it repainted polish it out and then put Opti-Coat on it. That should help prolong the life of the clear coat.

How much does your father in law trust you? lol. I removed the pin striping on my girlfriends car and her driver door had been repainted. The painter only painted up to the pinstripe so there was a major line between the factory and the repaint. I took some sandpaper to it to even it out. I was able to make it almost totally unnoticable. Maybe you might have to do that if you feel comfortable. Im just throwing out ideas here.

If by yellow color strip you mean pin stripe then I have never had an issue with my buffer coming in contact with it. I personally dont like the look and would remove it but that is just me.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The picture is where the clear was failing and was reshot

This yellow strip you speak of. where is its location?
    Interesting, if it has been reshot, I should be able to polish normally correct?

The yellow strip (pin stripe) is in the picture, starts at the headlight and goes to the back taillight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAR Detailing View Post

the second pic kinda looks like clear coat is chipping off. Im not certain of this since i cant really tell. If that is the case and your father in law doesnt want to drop the coin to get it repainted polish it out and then put Opti-Coat on it. That should help prolong the life of the clear coat.

If the surface is smooth in the area, is it more likely a reshot as flash mentioned?

Regarding my father in law, he is pretty laid back and clearly he hasn't been real concerned with keeping his BMW in great shape, (note the bike rack on the back, some nice scratches back there.) With that said, I don't feel like exacerbating clear coat failure.