autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

does this happen to everyone?

Ive always noticed this but never really thought about it.

Any notice how the at night the same day you washed your car you get an abnormal amount on condensation on the paint? I just went outside and my whole car is covered but my brothers and moms(rarely washed and only waxed when I wax it for them) have no condensation built up.

Whats the reasoning behind this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. I have never had this happen to me. Where are you located? Could just be a lot of humidity.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: does this happen to everyone?

I've definitely noticed that. There's been many times where I'd have a vehicle finished and sitting outside. Then the customer comes to pick it up...and they think the condensation is left over wax, ha. Sounds ridiculous...but it's happened two or three times. They feel a little dumb when I wipe a panel down and show them it's just condensation.

I may forget a lot of things...but wax is not one of them, haha.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it has anything to do with every bug in the neighborhood finding your car just minutes after you wash it.

Last year after I started washing my car late, like 6-7 PM, I did notice that I had to get the car in fast after the sun went down - especially if I wanted to wax it - because it would get covered unusually fast.

There's probably just nothing between the cold metal and the air, no film of dirt, so the metal gets chilled faster, and also the moisture in the air that touches it. That's my guess anyway.

Last edited by Silverstone; 04-12-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in San Diego CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    I've definitely noticed that. There's been many times where I'd have a vehicle finished and sitting outside. Then the customer comes to pick it up...and they think the condensation is left over wax, ha. Sounds ridiculous...but it's happened two or three times. They feel a little dumb when I wipe a panel down and show them it's just condensation.

I may forget a lot of things...but wax is not one of them, haha.
    Yes! I had that happen a few times. If I start a lil late washing my car I will finish when the sun is starting to set and the air is starting to cool down. I will notice on the roof in the center a circlular patch of condensation that slowly gets bigger.

It happens every single time. It even fogs my headlights with condensation too. lol

Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm i have noticed this 2

Post Thanks / Like

It happens to me too. Hmmmm, I am smelling conspiracy! I may need to break out the tin foil hat again. There has to be a reasonable explanation, ie, surface tension is different with wax vs not.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, me too.

Maybe someone with a better and younger mind than I will find an easy to understand answer.

Until then I say it's a conspiracy from the dirty cars being jealous!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

It has to do with surface condition. In general, surfaces free of dirt and grease will allow humidity to condense and settle and do so more evenly. That condensation is really showing that your car (or whatever) is fairly clean. Put a streak of motor oil on a car panel or leave some road film on a small area. Moisture will condense everywhere but there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dirty cars have more surface area for moisture to evaporate from. Dirty cars hold heat slughtly better as well. As the day ends and the air temp drops, the dew point "raises", and turns into co densate on the vehicle. So if you leave the inside dome light on awhile, you'll notice on the area on the roof there will be less condensate since that area of metal os a degree or so warmer than the rest of the roof.

It is a headache! Try wiping off sealant or wax close to the dew point, and it leaves a wet mess For people doing mobile work that carries onto the night this means we have to move indoors or wait 'till the next day

Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast