autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

suggestion please new to DA polisher

I've received my GG polisher a little less than a month ago and i never was able to try it, since my rotary is out of reach for now, i would like to know what would you suggest me for this.

situation: 2009 chevrolet impala charcoal color. Light hand wash marring and swirls. time for correction i have less than 5 hours to do it (paint only) as it's the only time my schedule and the client schedule match up.

normally i would test my stuff up and take my time but i cant this time.

product at my disposal :
    -orange , light cut green and blue orange country pads
    -3M white and black 7" eggshell pads
    -surbuff 6.5"
    -presta ultra cut creme (not sold here, sound like M85 from description)
    -ultimate compound
    -meguiars #2
    -presta swirl remover (looks like a fine cut polish)
    -optimum poliseal
    -optimum finish polish
    -autoglym super resin polish

can you give me an idea on what to use ?

paint condition looks a little better than this, slightly less swirls.

photo used as an exemple of paint condition.
    (thanks to Mike Phillips, they were posted by him on the meguiars board)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: suggestion please new to DA polisher

if it was me i would do the ultimate compound /oarnge pad %poly seal with the light green pad assuming its the light cut green-that usually one would use with aio

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

5 hours huh...thats a tight squeeze. I hope the customer knows you can't deliver PERFECTION in that time frame.

With that being said you probably can only do a 2 step process...remove swirls as best as you can..and then seal it up.

I agree ultimate compound would probably be your best bet to remove the most swirls...then you'd have to go to a sealant since time is so tight.

I saw a post on here where someone did a blue SUV with m105 (very similar to UC) and then straight to wax..and it looked great...you might have to do the same.

As always thought...do a test spot..maybe even try something less aggressive than UC...if it gives you what u want..run with it...if not..up your aggression (either with a stronger product or pad).

Not sure if you've used a DA ever before...but since you're use to a rotary...remember with a DA...SLOWER is better...unlike a rotary where you have to make faster passes...with a DA take your time...put a little pressure on the head of the machine and just keep that pad flat. You will LOVE the GG..i sure love mine...and so you know it is pretty powerful for a DA...so you may be able to dither down the speed to 5.5 or even 5 rather than a full blow 6...but like i said...test things out...and remember to keep your pad clean..if you do that you'll be fine
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

If you're time constrained then I'd start with the following;

Wash
    Clay

Polish

Optimum Finish Polish on your Surfbuf pad

"As with all Optimum polishes, this incredibly smooth, long working, zero dust formula is body shop safe, VOC compliant, and will work with any buffer, any buffing pad, and on any paint surface. It's virtually impossible to make a mistake with this product. The Optimum Final Finish will turn you into an all-star detailer, and every vehicle into a show car! Optimum Final Finish buffs wet and finishes off even wetter. Optimum Final Finish lays the foundation for a perfect, glossy finish once wax is applied."

Optimum Finish Polish 8 oz., car polish, finishing polish, final polish, black car polish

Test this combination on a flat 2X2 area to determine it's effectiveness and if the desired results can be achieved then proceed.

Wax

Autoglym Super Resin Polish

What you're trying to achieve is customer satisfaction and not perfection. Perfection is an elusive if not impossible goal to achieve so keep expectations realistic.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

5 hours huh? Man your going to be cutting it close. With a DA the correction process can be very slow. I think hitting it with the Megs UC and orange pad should get you to almost LSP ready. At least IME.

Post Thanks / Like

I would more than likely go with the UC, but test your pads....all of them and see which produces the best results.

Remember since this is only a "one-stepper" make sure you do AT LEAST one good clean section pass with very light pressure to produce the best result possible. Usually on the compounding step this isn't so much an issue as the next step will clean that up if forgotten. Then definately do a "blending" pass to bring it all together.

I am thinking of doing this same process on a car this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

ok, i did a test spot today on another car with pretty much the same paint condition and weirdly the best working combo is the ultra cutting creme and the surbuf pad followed by optimum poliseal and green pad.

the wax will be optimum, still need to dial the usage of this product, gives me hell on application!

Post Thanks / Like

Man Bobby we usually agree most of the time but this time I have to disagree and flat out say that the OPT COMPOUND AND FINISHING POLISH for me did diddly squat...
    Hit it with the UC and report back your findings

Post Thanks / Like

late report, optimum finish is HELL to remove, hardens like a rock on the car , the poli seal gave a better final result than the finish polish weird

UC and surbuf pads did remove about 80% defect on first pass on the santa fe test vehicule while the same pad and Presta UCC removed about 90% on a single pass, i think theyre pretty similar, UC is just a bit more oily.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like you worked the opt.finish in to long or had to much product-dont give up on optimum-i found i didnt need a alot of product when useing opt finish-3 or 4 size pea drops after a very light prime

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast