autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401 + Hydro Pads or GG + MFDA PADS

Pulling the trigger on this today and I can't believe how hard it is!
    My dilemma is most times I reach for the DA it's in one steppers with a polishing pad and 151 .... and most correction jobs I always end up the 9227 and a wool pad.

I already have the Megs g2 so a backup would be nice but on that not finishing one steppers faster would be nice too... Uggghhhh the dilemma!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 + Hydro Pads or GG + MFDA PADS

Well what I would do is just pick up the MF system first. You will easily be able to use that with your Megs DA. See if you like it. If it is what you are looking for then you can look into getting another traditional DA. If you dont and you want the flex and HT pads you arent out very much.

If you arent happy with hte MF system Im sure someone on here will take it off your hands for you... Me included!

Thats just my take

Jon
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

IMO everyone should own at least one traditional DA and with that said i would opt for the GG6 first. the products/pads offered these days are making the DA like the GG6, G110v2, PC/XP, more effective and versatile then ever before...

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

if the MF system was available last year..i am not sure I would have ever bought my Flex..Sure I really like the flex and its nice to use. But I have been using my original PC and MF system and it gives great results..I think if I didnt have my Flex yet..i probably woulda upgraded to the GG machine and just kept using the MF system.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a good thread, I was considering the FLEX as well but I think I may try the Meguiars MF system first on my GG DA. I think using Meguiars compound polish and PO 85RD to finish off will look really well. Then I can choose to seal with BFWD or a nano technology coat.

The one thing I don't like about the DA is how your body absorbs all the vibrations. With the Flex I have read its less noise and probably no vibrating because of the forced rotation.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying the MF system costs alot less then buying Flex .I feel both have a place in your detailing arsenal .
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Now that I have the GG DA and MF system, I use that more than the Flex 3401.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

very interesting perspectives from all, and thanks!
    But here is the real problem i see for my situation... and i think this might end up costing me more than i wanted to, but the truth is I do more FULL DETAILS with an interior detail as well as an exterior (clay and one stepper) the majority of the time and i have just begun to realize that if i did go with the flex i could probably speed up my exterior detail time with the FLEX over the GG ....you think?

Now will the MF DA system turn out great results in paint corrections... i'm sure very much so but my customers are usually not interested in paint corrections more so than a clean interior and what they consider a "wax job"

So looks like i will probably jump on the flex with a set of Hydro Pads and the MF DA pads for the G110V2 for that needed Paint Correction job ... its a $40 gamble for the finishing and cutting pads but im sure they will be worth it in the long run....

MY LAST QUESTION FOR FLEX USERS ....

If/When you used the flex on one steppers does in fact the buff process go a little faster than using a traditional DA?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fredcandetail View Post

MY LAST QUESTION FOR FLEX USERS ....

If/When you used the flex on one steppers does in fact the buff process go a little faster than using a traditional DA?
    If you're gonna use D151 and a polishing pad or a combo close to that for one steppers, yes, you can breeze through with the Flex 3401. Bottom line, if you like to ONLY use foam pads for one steppers, the Flex 3401 is faster to use. When you get into using MF and Surbuf pads, the traditional DA will give you better cut than anything you can use on the Flex 3401.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

FredCanDetail,
    I have both the old Porter Cable 7424 and the Flex 3401. I love my Flex as it is a lot smoother to use in comparison to the 7424. I just received my Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction System and I tried it using my 7424. Here are the results of my test spot: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...on-system.html

I think you might want to try this system out. Of course, I haven't done the entire car, but I was impressed with what it did on the test spot.

I do understand the issue with the vibration and noise of the 7424 and how that might bother you. The Flex doesn't vibrate as much, and it is somewhat quieter. I have thought about getting the Griot's 6" just to see if it might be better then my old 7424.

I would order the Meguiar's system and check it out.

Don

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast