autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know how to Window Tint?

Whats up everyone.

I'm not sure if i want to do this or not but...i've been thinking about learning how to tint windows. Mainly because 2 of the windows on my car have tint that is starting to peel off...and the other 2 have NO tint because they are junk yard doors that were put in after an accident lol. Soooo being that i live in Az...i thought it might be a good idea to redo them...and it would be a good opportunity to practice since its on my own car.

So i figured id start by asking here first . If anyone can point me in the right direction as to...what i need...where to get it and how to do it..id be very appreciative
    Wills - Windows & Wheels Auto Detailing Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone know how to Window Tint?

As I understand it, you will need window film, positioning spray, a special squeegee and a sharp knife as far as materials. You need to spray the glass with the spray, and maybe the film, and put it on the inside of the window, then you carefully work from the center of the window outwards, to remove all of the air pockets with the squeegee. Once you have all of the bubbles out and the film looks perfect on the glass, you trim the edges with a razor blade so that it looks perfect. The positioning spray helps remove the bubbles, and helps to slide the film around in order to get it in position. Some use soapy water, but I think a special spray would be best. It's easy to describe, but doing it is an art that takes lots of practice.

Post Thanks / Like

I know most of the tint shops around here actual have a machine that you put in the make and model of the car and it pre-cuts the film for each window. Making it much easier and faster to put the tint on the windows. And leaves much cleaner lines. But doesn't sound like that's the route you want to take.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthornone View Post
    As I understand it, you will need window film, positioning spray, a special squeegee and a sharp knife as far as materials. You need to spray the glass with the spray, and maybe the film, and put it on the inside of the window, then you carefully work from the center of the window outwards, to remove all of the air pockets with the squeegee. Once you have all of the bubbles out and the film looks perfect on the glass, you trim the edges with a razor blade so that it looks perfect. The positioning spray helps remove the bubbles, and helps to slide the film around in order to get it in position. Some use soapy water, but I think a special spray would be best. It's easy to describe, but doing it is an art that takes lots of practice.
    Yeah im sure it is an art work just like paint correction...ive got a lot of patience though...and a pretty good 'feel' for things...so i think i can do it...but want to do my homework first before i just jump in ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    I know most of the tint shops around here actual have a machine that you put in the make and model of the car and it pre-cuts the film for each window. Making it much easier and faster to put the tint on the windows. And leaves much cleaner lines. But doesn't sound like that's the route you want to take.
    I'd keep that open as an option...if i got good enough to where i could offer it to a customer then i wouldn't mind having a shop just have the tent 'cut to fit'...i guess i just gotta find out all the options/prices first and weigh everything out
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    Yeah im sure it is an art work just like paint correction...ive got a lot of patience though...and a pretty good 'feel' for things...so i think i can do it...but want to do my homework first before i just jump in ya know?
    I think you should go to a local tinting shop and watch them work. I have. One guy can get the inside of the rear window done in under ten minutes. It was obvious from the way he did it he had done it hundreds of times. Position film on glass in less than 3 minutes. Squeegee out bubbles in 4 minutes. Trim excess in 15 seconds. It was also perfectly done. He made it look easy.
    Last edited by Blackthorn One; 04-06-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthornone View Post
    I think you should go to a local tinting shop and watch them work. I have. One guy can get the inside of the rear window done in under ten minutes. It was obvious from the way he did it he had done it hundreds of times. Position film on glass in less than 3 minutes. Squeegee out bubbles in 4 minutes. Trim excess in 15 seconds. It was also perfectly done. He made it look easy.
    Ive been watching youtube vids the last hour or so on it. You're right..they do make it look easy lol. I hold my breath when they free hand cut the film around the window...but i guess like a guy who does pin stripes on a car...they've done it so many times and have steady hands that its not a big deal to them.

I surely won't be aiming for speed my first time...ill be aiming for quality. I was hoping to get lucky and find someone on here who has actually done it...also wondering where i'd order tint from...online or auto parts store or what?

Appreciate the feedback so far guys
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com
    'Like' Us On Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    Ive been watching youtube vids the last hour or so on it. You're right..they do make it look easy lol. I hold my breath when they free hand cut the film around the window...but i guess like a guy who does pin stripes on a car...they've done it so many times and have steady hands that its not a big deal to them.

I surely won't be aiming for speed my first time...ill be aiming for quality. I was hoping to get lucky and find someone on here who has actually done it...also wondering where i'd order tint from...online or auto parts store or what?

Appreciate the feedback so far guys
    My father used mirrored tint on the quarter windows of his Suburban, and couldn't get all the bubbles out, which is most unfortunate. I'm sure tint shops buy their film wholesale. I've seen film sold online. One film I really want to try is 3M Crystalline window film, which is 100% clear with no tint, yet blocks 99% of uv and 51% of heat, I think. Perfect for doing windshields legally and still getting the heat and UV reduction.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I used to do it but I dont no more since I kinda started to hate it after a while. Now for some reason I want to go back to it but I am not going to say I am good at it but if I do 2 front windows on a good day it will come right the first time.

My problem is really cutting it but it takes practice doing that to get better. The good thing I still got a friend who is really good at it and I might just go with him and learn it completely.

Jhonson Window film, look up the company and give them a call to send you a packet of the Auto film. They also have home film. Theres a guy in there I believed named Tony, his a good fella talk to him or if hes not there no more find someone.

When you get the packet, you will see in a sample small book the differences they have in Auto Film, how much you can order, prices, length, you will also get a list of all the tools they have and honeslty you will need almost half the page of the tools. I have the list somewhere and I can point them out for you which one you need. some tools come in handy depending on the car you get thats why you need so many of them.

You can go to HD and get a bag of steel wool. You can maybe offer for now you remove window tints. Steel wool comes in handy to remove the adhesive glue especially on those rear windows with the defroster. Those defrosters ain't cheap lol so never use a blade to remove the glue there. You can also get one of those .99 cents bottle you'll need for your soapy water.

Go to walmart and buy the yellow wagner i believe is called, is a heat gun and is perfect. I believe it comes in many different heat levels which is why is good.

Now the good thing with Jhonson window film is I believed you can still order as much and whatever you want from them without needing a business license. There paper is decent as in price it may be pricey or may be ok. The reason why I said that is because Llumar and Suntek are very popular paper, they are really good but PRICEY. I prefer Suntek because their paper feels like "bulletproof".

Once you have everything you need to practice is time to see what them shaky hands can do. Important things here is, learn to cut a piece of what you are going to use for a window, so that when you pre-cut it the left over is not a big chunk of waste.

Make sure those windows are clean inside and out. Then spray soapy water on the window and placed the paper on it so it wont slip.

Once the paper is cut you place it on the window from outside you are working on. Always making sure the plastic clear cover is facing you and the actual tint paper is touching the glass.

Learn to pre-cut practice,practice, practice!! Saves you ton of money instead of getting those pre-cut machines!

So the pre-cut is done remember we are still working outside of the car using the outside window on the one you working on. Placed the pre-cut paper like if you were to put it on remember use your soapy water. Once the paper is placed well on the window with the window closed you have to mold the paper to the window so the paper can grab the shape of the window. You are going to use the heat gun and a teflon card.

Once that is done peel off the plastic clear and you should have the glue side of the paper facing you the way you left the paper on the exterior of the window. When you are peeling off the clear plastic spray the soapy water on the glue side of the tint right away. Next would be placing the paper from the inside. Heat gun and a teflon card you should take care of the bubbles. You need to find your way of being able to place that paper from the inside avoiding tons of bubbles it all comes down how you work your teflon card once the paper is placed inside. Use as much soapy water as you need.

Heres a trick I don't know if you have a newborn baby if you do may save you money. Just go to walmart and buy the gold baby shampoo. Pour about 2-3 oz of it in a 32oz bottle and the rest water.

Hopefully I explained well because I suck at it

Post Thanks / Like

I cut pieces of aluminum foil and tape them to my windows. Like ELVIS use to do
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I always tinted my own windows..Usually I only ever had to do the fronts cause rears and back was always done due to it being a truck..I use to remove the windows from my doors and that would make things SOO much easier to do. its really not that bad..just need patience. I would lay the film down and do a rough cut around the window making the tint still larger then the window but only by a little so its easier to work with...then soak the window with soapy water..its best to have a buddy to remove the tint from the backing film..as he can spray the exposed tint with soapy water as you slowly peel away so no chance of it sticking to itself..Once you got that off and on the window its just cutting around the edge..then squeegee the water out and I never bought any special tools. I always used just an old credit card. Thats just how I always did it..I have been thinking about ordering the precut kits off ebay to tint my mustang..its just that rear window kinda makes me nervous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast