autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinyl Top Overspray

1st post in awhile; it's a 71 Chevelle with a black vinyl top. The engine and engine bay were totally restored recently. The car was covered in plastic but of course overspray is all over the paint. No problem, a good claybar and some Menzerna will solve that. My question is how should I remove the small amounts of overspray on the top?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vinyl Top Overspray

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

APC and a brush should do it.
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings

This is one of those jobs that may only take you 45 minutes or could drag out into several hours. I would not give a definite price, but also keep in mind the top can be redyed for around 2 bills

Here is how I would approach this. Along with the products I would use

APC

Mild Clay

Medium Bristled Brush

Laquer Thinner

"Plastic" Razor Blades or "Plastic" Puddy Knife

I would first take a shot claying using APC as lube. Get the surface wet (wash) then clay using medium force. I would also try brushing at this point using APC & Dawn as lube. I'm assuming this top has a semi textured feel, no?

If that isn't working, see if you can glide a "Plastic" razor blade across the surface using APC as lube. Still no luck...

Try using Laquer Thinner on a rag and see what gives

These suggestions I gave you, I would try each of them in the same area of the top. I would also "completely" dry the area to be sure no damage is being done and then proceed with your preferred method. I would tell you to hit an area thats not noticable, but there isn't one

I would also have a discussion with the owner and tell them that there will be no gaurantee of removal and also state that there's a possibility the top will need to be redyed (AT HIS/HER EXPENSE) This way, when you do get it removed you will look like a hero

PS...Your going to need a source of running water close by and also be working in a shaded area

Warmest wishes,

Flash
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yea, plan on using your fingernails ALOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Greetings

This is one of those jobs that may only take you 45 minutes or could drag out into several hours. I would not give a definite price, but also keep in mind the top can be redyed for around 2 bills

Here is how I would approach this. Along with the products I would use

APC

Mild Clay

Medium Bristled Brush

Laquer Thinner

"Plastic" Razor Blades or "Plastic" Puddy Knife

I would first take a shot claying using APC as lube. Get the surface wet (wash) then clay using medium force. I would also try brushing at this point using APC & Dawn as lube. I'm assuming this top has a semi textured feel, no?

If that isn't working, see if you can glide a "Plastic" razor blade across the surface using APC as lube. Still no luck...

Try using Laquer Thinner on a rag and see what gives
    Have you actually been successful with any of these methods for removing body shop overspray from a vinyl top?

Here's a dye that might work in the event you'd accept not being able to remove the overspray w/o damaging the top. Keep in mind that this is a temporary fix and may alter the look of your existing top. Just in case you are competitively show your car. $12.99 too.
    Forever Black Black-Top Dye for Vinyl Tops

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Have you actually been successful with any of these methods for removing body shop overspray from a vinyl top?

Here's a dye that might work in the event you'd accept not being able to remove the overspray w/o damaging the top. Keep in mind that this is a temporary fix and may alter the look of your existing top. Just in case you are competitively show your car. $12.99 too.
    Forever Black Black-Top Dye for Vinyl Tops
    As a matter of fact, yes I have. Not only with a vinyl top, but convertibles too

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of questions then:
    How can you clay such a rough and porous surface without sheering off your clay on it and creating a mess? Especially on Chevelles as they typically have pretty rough tops.

The same goes for the platic razor technique too. Body shop overspray is pretty fine and tough to remove from painted surfaces, let alone a vinyl top. (Especially when baked) I can't see how that tool used on a porrous surface would work? It's not like you are able to chip away at a fine mist that's covering this porous surface? Maybe when the overspray is the big blobs/spec style.

I agree with the APC method. Especially if you pre-softened the surface with water. Letting maybe a couple of soaked towels (water, not APC) sit there for a while loosening up the bond.

You'd have to scrub pretty hard to get BS overspray off with Solvent (especially Laquer Thinner) which is pretty strong stuff. I'd be very carefull using that on vinyl as it *could* quickly discolor and melt the material.

Metro Detroit's Leader in Vehicle Preservation & Perfect Paint Finishes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    A couple of questions then:
    How can you clay such a rough and porous surface without sheering off your clay on it and creating a mess? Especially on Chevelles as they typically have pretty rough tops.

The material is not that porous. Especially when its wet and you use APC as lube

The same goes for the platic razor technique too. Body shop overspray is pretty fine and tough to remove from painted surfaces, let alone a vinyl top. (Especially when baked) I can't see how that tool used on a porrous surface would work? It's not like you are able to chip away at a fine mist that's covering this porous surface? Maybe when the overspray is the big blobs/spec style.

If you glide it across, it will pickup whatevers on the top. Down in the valleys (porous) is where you going to have to have another plan

I agree with the APC method. Especially if you pre-softened the surface with water. Letting maybe a couple of soaked towels (water, not APC) sit there for a while loosening up the bond.

You'd have to scrub pretty hard to get BS overspray off with Solvent (especially Laquer Thinner) which is pretty strong stuff. I'd be very carefull using that on vinyl as it *could* quickly discolor and melt the material.

"could" is the key word here boys and girls