autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

clayed the car for the first time the other day...

...and it was kinda anticlimatic for me to be honest.

I'm pretty sure the car needed it b/c it is 3 years old and prob wasn't clayed before.

Maybe it was my technique because I don't really know what I should be feeling. There were some times when it really grabbed but that was likely b/c there wasn't enough lube i.e. I saw a dry streak left behind where the clay had just passed. Even caused some marring on my beautiful C pillar! Not really worried about it cause it should come out really easy. I did get a few areas where it looked like the pictures on AG (some dirty finger impressions, and a few specks, which i picked out) but for the most part, the clay was pretty clean after I finished the car. Any thoughts? I've watched the videos of Mike doing it and didn't baby it (which prob helped cause the marring haha). Car is a DD and garaged at home and at work but not sure about the history prior to Apr '10.

On the other hand, my wife, who is used to how the car looks after I wash it, did comment this time on how shiney the car looked. Not sure if it was the claying or the new Blacklight sealant I had just put on it though...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: clayed the car for the first time the other day...

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    ...and it was kinda anticlimatic for me to be honest.

I'm pretty sure the car needed it b/c it is 3 years old and prob wasn't clayed before.

Maybe it was my technique because I don't really know what I should be feeling. There were some times when it really grabbed but that was likely b/c there wasn't enough lube i.e. I saw a dry streak left behind where the clay had just passed. Even caused some marring on my beautiful C pillar! Not really worried about it cause it should come out really easy. I did get a few areas where it looked like the pictures on AG (some dirty finger impressions, and a few specks, which i picked out) but for the most part, the clay was pretty clean after I finished the car. Any thoughts? I've watched the videos of Mike doing it and didn't baby it (which prob helped cause the marring haha). Car is a DD and garaged at home and at work but not sure about the history prior to Apr '10.

On the other hand, my wife, who is used to how the car looks after I wash it, did comment this time on how shiney the car looked. Not sure if it was the claying or the new Blacklight sealant I had just put on it though...
    I really hate this analogy, but have you given the body the baggie test? Or perhaps rubbed your hand across the finish after a wash? If so, how did it feel?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

After washing and prior to claying glide your fingertips across the paint and you'll feel tiny pieces of contaminates that are lodged into the paint. Claying removes this surface debris that's become embedded in the paint. During the claying process you might hear little tiny "snaps" as the clay pulls the pieces of debris from the surface.

Claying requires plenty of lubricant and if you begin to feel any drag whatsoever you're not using enough lubricant. You can use a commercially produced solution or simply make your own by mixing 2oz or your favorite car wash in 30 ounces of clean water then mix it thoroughly.

Mike Phillips wrote a great article on claying, what it does, and how to execute the claying process.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...series-ii.html

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    After washing and prior to claying glide your fingertips across the paint and you'll feel tiny pieces of contaminates that are lodged into the paint. Claying removes this surface debris that's become embedded in the paint. During the claying process you might hear little tiny "snaps" as the clay pulls the pieces of debris from the surface.

Claying requires plenty of lubricant and if you begin to feel any drag whatsoever you're not using enough lubricant. You can use a commercially produced solution or simply make your own by mixing 2oz or your favorite car wash in 30 ounces of clean water then mix it thoroughly.

Mike Phillips wrote a great article on claying, what it does, and how to execute the claying process.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...series-ii.html

Look at are time stamps...I won by a butt hair
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Look at are time stamps...I won by a butt hair
    HA! It seems we're on the same page!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    HA! It seems we're on the same page!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey embolism, which clay were you using? Sounds like the DP clay?.. Were you applying much pressure? Let the clay do the work with plenty of lube. I just clayed a clients VW Rabbit with Meg's aggressive clay and used DP's rinseless wash&gloss and didn't have any marring that I could see. Car is a 2009 and hasn't had anything done to it since new so I was more concerned with getting it clean. I was just in time too as I found tiny rust spots forming on the back hatch and the rest of the car was depositing a orangish brown layer of dirt onto the red clay. I used about 30oz of lube on the little rabbit, but made for a faster than usual claying. Not sure what other kinda feedback you are looking for.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't feel anything with your bare hand nor the baggy method then the paint just may not be that dirty. However, if the lower half/back-end of the car didn't dirty the clay that much I would maybe try a more aggressive clay or go over those areas again with a fresh piece of clay. The area around the exhaust and the fenders where brake dust comes out should produce fairly dirty clay if the car has never been clay before. Unless you are using a very mild clay, it should clean the paint as well as an aggressive clay, it just will take longer. Try kneading the clay really well after warming it in warm water, and form about a quarter of less of the bar into a patty about the size of your palm. This will make the clay more uniform and work more efficiently and you will have a better feel of what is going on under the clay. Kinda hard to say if your paint just isn't that dirty. End result is your paint should feel smoother no matter how you touch it. Sounds like it did a good job if it made the sealant shinier and the wife noticed.
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming the car fails the baggie test, look at the clay. You may not feel much, but the clay will be darker/discolored.

Post Thanks / Like

didn't do the baggie test, just figured what the hey, let's clay...

Flash, the hood has always felt like glass to the back of my hand but then again, I don't feel the whole car, just like to stroke her now and again

Bobby, that's pretty neat, I'll listen for the snaps next time...

oops forgot to mention I was using Mothers clay and I just used the whole bar of the 2 that comes in the kit. Did I make boo boo?

good idea about warming it in water. As I was kneading I was thinking dude, you need to start working out again...the stuff is pretty sticky too...30 oz of lube? Damn that's like 2 whole bottles! I did not dry the car after washing and probably used about 8oz of lube (half the bottle in the kit) but I'm just guessing...
    Last edited by embolism; 03-26-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast