autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Twins - Any Oils/Fillers?

I am hoping to do at least one of my vehicles with either CQuartz or Opti-Coat (maybe one of each) when it warms up some more. They both have to be applied to a clean surface with no waxes, oils, etc. Since they completely lock in your paint, you are supposed to polish prior to applying. Do the Wolfgang TSR and FG leave anything behind or do they wipe completely clean? They don't seem to bother other sealants, but I want to make sure since these new products are fairly expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Twins - Any Oils/Fillers?

While I can not answer your question 100%, I can say that it really should not matter what they leave behind as you can remove whatever they leave behind with a IPA and Dawn mixture in a spray bottle. So if you like the finish you get with the twins, I would say use them, and then clean the surface before application of whatever product you choose.

Of course, this is just my opinion and was gained from what I have read before regarding these products. I have not tried either. Hopefully someone can come behind me and verify.
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't make sense to work for hours to get the paint polished to a show car finish just to strip all your work away with dawn or anything else that strips the paint. Polish puts down oils. That's where the gloss comes from. Why would you want to strip that all off after the paint looks perfect. Today on live web feed from detail fest they actually demoed applying opticoat 2 with no IPA wipe down. They applied a polish then buffed to a high gloss and immediately put opticoat on.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

They did silverfox. However, they used Optimum polish before hand and wiped the surface down with a damp MF before applying Opti-coat II; as recommended by Dr.G. In my experience with the WG twins the lubricants left behind are easily wiped away with a final wipe(I use XMT pad conditioner), and any sealant(Klasse and WGDGPS) or wax I have applied over WG twins has bonded well and not shown any signs of blemishes returning, as might happen if there were real fillers in either WG twins. As Mike explained today in the same show/class with the Optimum product demos, the term fillers is used too loosely on the forum. Most of the products have lubricants in them that people refer to as fillers, but, that is the wrong name for them. And why would you want to possibly mar the finish you just spent hours achieving by using alcohol on it when in most cases a simple damp MF will prep the surface for a lsp?... If you are gonna do an alcohol wipe then it should be a mixture of around 10% as stated in the same live feed today, and in Mike post about IPA mixing. I would stick to some thing more like a glass cleaner if you really must do a final wipe with something stronger than water or XMT pad conditioner(which smell like glass cleaner anyway).
    Shaun Shines Automotive Detailing, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA. http://www.facebook.com/ShaunShinesDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

The 90% 91% IPA & 10 % Dawn is specified for CQ, notfor Opti Coat. Richy did it on his Lincoln MKZ with stunning results.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    The 90% 91% IPA & 10 % Dawn is specified for CQ, notfor Opti Coat. Richy did it on his Lincoln MKZ with stunning results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    This is what I was referring to.
    The "artist" formerly known as M.P. Cobra Fan.

Bonita Detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Short answer yes, it does use oils for lubrication so do 99% of paint polishes out there...only one I know of that does not is g|Tech P1 and P2 which are water based. There many be others out but only one I know of.

Gloss comes from the, true gloss, the surface of the polished surface the the angle the light reflects back to you. Oil can help, but only temperately similar to glaze's. For "true" correction work the "nude" paint should provide all the gloss due to a smooth surface on the microscopic level.