autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you cringe when you see someone wearing watches and rings while detailing a car?

I sure do.

I was at a really exclusive law firm's office building the other day and saw that a company had set up a wash & detail shop in their underground parking lot.

I looked at their supply of product and it looked like they have just placed a $10,000 order with Autogeek. And they were using all the correct methods of wash, clay, correction, and seal/wax.

But every guy that was touching the cars had on at least one huge metal ring, bracelet, or watchband. And they were even wearing aprons to protect the cars finishes.
    But they still had on all the metal.

Stuff like that drives me crazy.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you cringe when you see someone wearing watches and rings while detailing a car?

I wear my ring when I detail. When is my bare hand ever going to come in contact with the paint? There is always either a wash mitt, clay bar, towel, or buffer between me and the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you cringe when you see someone wearing watches and rings while detailing a car?

Quote Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis View Post
    I wear my ring when I detail. When is my bare hand ever going to come in contact with the paint? There is always either a wash mitt, clay bar, towel, or buffer between me and the paint.
    Me too. I do usually take my ring off when I am claying though. Often times I will have a watch on too, but it is a Skagen, so there's no bulk to it.

If you are careful, there shouldn't be an issue. Necklaces are the worry.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

I'm more concerned with big belt buckles + no apron :S
    Bah.

Post Thanks / Like

Cringe? Nope, it doesn't bother me in the least.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer not to wear rings when I detail. Not because I think it's gonna scratch the paint or anything. I just don't like having anything on my fingers like that. I'm surprised people even wear watches still with cell phones now a days.

I for one, am guilty of wearing a chain wallet. I don't wear it to look cool...I wear it cause I'm retarded and have lost my wallet 3 times in the past. Plus, I've found my wallet sitting on the shop floor numerous times before getting the chain. Thing is a lifesaver, ha. But I always just tuck the chain in my pocket.

I think when it comes to things like this...if you wear them every day, you tend to be very aware of them. I know for me, I've never scratched paint with my chain.

Post Thanks / Like

I always wear my watch when I detail. No particular reason other than habit. I'm just an enthusiast, but I've never scratched my cars while detailing. I have, however, bang my watch against the edge of the door on occasion while opening it for my kids.

Post Thanks / Like

I wear my ring, only jewelry I wear, but I keep nitrile gloves on, so no direct contact.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

9. Likes 1500canoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    I prefer not to wear rings when I detail. Not because I think it's gonna scratch the paint or anything. I just don't like having anything on my fingers like that. I'm surprised people even wear watches still with cell phones now a days.

I for one, am guilty of wearing a chain wallet. I don't wear it to look cool...I wear it cause I'm retarded and have lost my wallet 3 times in the past. Plus, I've found my wallet sitting on the shop floor numerous times before getting the chain. Thing is a lifesaver, ha. But I always just tuck the chain in my pocket.

I think when it comes to things like this...if you wear them every day, you tend to be very aware of them. I know for me, I've never scratched paint with my chain.
    Didn't you tell me one time that your belly button ring scrapped some paint once?!?!?!?

I dont wear jewelry only cause I can't afford it lol...... but the only thing that makes me cringe is dropping a MF on the ground, always makes me seriously cringe and toss out a profanity under my breath.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't bother me at all. If your detailing correctly, your jewelry won't ever touch the paint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast