autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like your opinion please.

I have been a guest of this forum for years. I just purchased a new car and I would like your opinion. I know how to properly wash a car using the two bucket method. My detailing ability and lifestyle only allow me time to do a thorough wash. I just did a thorough wash and performed a baggie test and incredibly the finish is in excellent condition. I am interested in using Optimum car wax once or twice a month for protection. It seems incredibly easy to apply and supposedly takes minutes to apply. Other spray waxes seem to be boosters for already applied wax but since I don’t have time and know how to completely prep the finish I just want to wash and use the Optimum spray wax on a regular basis. When the car needs claying or polishing which I calculate will be once or twice a year I plan to take it to a professional and once he is done have him seal it with a quality sealant.
    What is your opinion on my car care plan?
    Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I would like your opinion please.

If your properly washing it, I'd suggest taking the extra time to apply a sealant or at least a wax. A sealant you have to worry about cure times, but the durability of them is much better than a standard wax.

After you do that I would say your wash and applying the opt spray wax you'll be fine. If you don't have time for a sealant I'd suggest using collinite 845. It's a great wax and it's durable.

Post Thanks / Like

I think your plan is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

After a year of 2-bucket washes, my Toyota's paint is still pristine. You won't need to take it anywhere for a long time with your process.

Applying a sealant is a no-brainer that you will easily be able to handle (If I can do it...). I can apply Poorboy's EX in a half-hour. A wipe-on-walk-away like Ultima Paint Guard would be even faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont forget to use Optimum Instant detailer great product..I use it as a drying aid
    Cris

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with SeaJay, use a sealant. Cure time isn't really THAT long of a wait and you can still do other stuff while its curing.

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss 501 (or 105) mixed 4:1 with DG 601 has a 2 hr cure time with extended durability.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

I perceive that the best way to maintain a car with the least effort and expense is to use the two bucket method, plus a foam gun if you can spare the $40 or so for it, and then use a sealant like Griot's Garage Paint Sealant, that lasts 8 or 9 months easily, in my experience in Southern California, and then apply a wax or a spray on wax on top whenever you feel like it and have the time, for extra durability, and enhanced looks. Griot's makes a One Step Sealant that contains polish, which you would use if you have some mild swirls, or any at all, because even by hand, you will get significant improvement. Or Griot's has a sealant without polish. The nice thing about sealants, at least the Griot's and the Wolfgang DGPS that I have used, is that they are incredibly easy to remove, even after hours. The Griot's has a neutral shine, neither warm nor cold IMO, while the WGDGPS looks warm, like a wax. WGDGPS lasts 4-6 months, and looks better.
    You don't need to have a pro clay your car. That you can do yourself. Anyone can. Of course, if you make more per hour than the pro detailer does per hour at your job, then have a pro do it. Collinite 845 has been mentioned here, but it isn't really a wax. It is part sealant.
    I have never used it so I don't know anything about that, other than it is an excellent product. As far as prep, all you have to do is wash it thoroughly, and then clay if needed, and then you might want to mask any rubber trim with painters tape before applying sealant, because it is a pain to remove from rubber trim. Otherwise, just be careful. If you do need to clay, it is probably just the horizontal parts that need it, so don't waste time on the vertical parts if it's just the horizontal that feels rough. You should be able to get any claying done in 30 min or less, based on how you say the paint is, unless it really needs no clay. Then it will take you 1-2 hours to apply the one step, or 1 and a half to do a pure sealant. (Yes, I know that if the car is swirled, it will take a lot longer than 2 hours to polish with a one step, but it will still look better after only two hours on a swirled car.) You then wait an hour for the sealant to cure, then buff off the excess, which takes 30-60 min. Just make sure the car doesn't get wet for the next 12-24 hours or the durability of the sealant will be compromised.
    I would rather spend 3 hours past washing one day and have it protected for 8 months and have that peace of mind, than NEED to redo the car twice a month at 30-60 min each time just to keep it protected. Then, I can add spray wax to maintain if I feel like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on you guys...the poor OP wants to put OCW on once or twice a month...does it really matter what he uses if he's going to reapply every two weeks?? Let the guy simplify his life and stop throwing a bunch of other products at him.

To the OP: if you wash your car at least every 2 weeks and apply OCW at least every 4 weeks (presuming a proper soap and wash regimen) you will be FINE and have a car that looks better than 99% of the cars on the road. And I hardly think you will need a corrective detail as often as twice a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Come on you guys...the poor OP wants to put OCW on once or twice a month...does it really matter what he uses if he's going to reapply every two weeks?? Let the guy simplify his life and stop throwing a bunch of other products at him.

To the OP: if you wash your car at least every 2 weeks and apply OCW at least every 4 weeks (presuming a proper soap and wash regimen) you will be FINE and have a car that looks better than 99% of the cars on the road. And I hardly think you will need a corrective detail as often as twice a year.
    Exactly.. great response couldnt agree with you more keep it simple for those who want protection simple and easy.

Can I add Opti Seal wipe on walk away paint sealant just might be easier to apply than OCW....
    Cris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast