autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: So who read the huge thread on APC on leather cleaning...

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    It seemed as though that thread was "downing" products labeled as conditioners because leather seats are coated and leather protectants are better products. Should I take this to assume that my bottle of Wolfgang Leather Conditioner won't do the job? It says that it has protectants in it? Or did I misinterpret?

Thats what I kinda got out of it too. Like seats still have that protection on it and that a conditioner will just sit on top of the seat and not go into it. Did anyone else this? I believe it was if the seat is sticky to the touch after you put the conditioner on it, then you know it didn't go into the seat. So I guess is there a way to figure out if the protection is still on the seat or not? Kinda mention the water droplet test. Anyone want to help my poor mind as it can't figure all this out
    Kelly Davis
    Maximum Mobile Detailing
    www.maximummd.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So who read the huge thread on APC on leather cleaning...

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumMD View Post
    Thats what I kinda got out of it too. Like seats still have that protection on it and that a conditioner will just sit on top of the seat and not go into it. Did anyone else this? I believe it was if the seat is sticky to the touch after you put the conditioner on it, then you know it didn't go into the seat. So I guess is there a way to figure out if the protection is still on the seat or not? Kinda mention the water droplet test. Anyone want to help my poor mind as it can't figure all this out
    I'm sure that you already have read / know this, but I think as far as you clean the leather frequently, the protectant is the icing on the cake, so to speak.

I've had good luck with keeping the leather clean with a proven leather cleaner, or as Chris (from Optimum) stated, a proven leather safe APC, and choose the dressing that you like the smell and look of best, in the hopes that it will help to protect the leather unitl the next cleaning.

If you want to test whether or not the conditioner is penetrating the leather, you could saturate a test spot, and check the foam underneath for evidence of penetration.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: So who read the huge thread on APC on leather cleaning...

I use to use several different things in the past. Right now, I will use diluted Woolite on the leather followed up with Optimum Protectant Plus. When I do it that way, I'm using the steamer.

If the leather is not that dirty, I will use the Optimum Power Clean, diluted of course, followed with the Optimum Protectant Plus.
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused about finished leather as well. In fact the "leather" that Mazda claims my seats are on my 2010 Mazdaspeed3 are pretty much vinyl as far as I can tell, and not really leather. I don't really know anything about the different types of leather, but I looked at the underside of the "leather" material and it has that cloth texture that you see on the underside of vinyl material. It doesn't have a leather smell to it either. In this case, is it better to use some sort of protectant that is made for interior plastics/vinyl?

For the record, the steering wheel and center armrests of the car actually smell like leather and have a different feel to them. I can't see the underside of the material to see what it looks like, but it does absorb my leather conditioner, where the "leather" seats do not.

Opinions anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by indianaryan View Post
    I'm confused about finished leather as well. In fact the "leather" that Mazda claims my seats are on my 2010 Mazdaspeed3 are pretty much vinyl as far as I can tell, and not really leather. I don't really know anything about the different types of leather, but I looked at the underside of the "leather" material and it has that cloth texture that you see on the underside of vinyl material. It doesn't have a leather smell to it either. In this case, is it better to use some sort of protectant that is made for interior plastics/vinyl?

For the record, the steering wheel and center armrests of the car actually smell like leather and have a different feel to them. I can't see the underside of the material to see what it looks like, but it does absorb my leather conditioner, where the "leather" seats do not.

Opinions anyone?
    I have an ms3 also and I certainly hope it is leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rfinkle2 View Post
    I have an ms3 also and I certainly hope it is leather.
    Gen 1 or Gen 2? I think the material is cheaper on the Gen 2's. Possibly not even leather.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: So who read the huge thread on APC on leather cleaning...

Quote Originally Posted by indianaryan View Post

Opinions anyone?
    I have an '08 Mazda 3s GT Hatchback. I use the Optimum Power Clean on the leather seats, dash door panels and everything else inside the vehicle. No problems what do ever. I spray it on a MF towel and whip it on everything. Even the leather steering wheel. No problems. I do not even have to put anything else on top of the OPC since it gives everything a nice, deep, fresh look. On the leather seats, I will dress it with the OPP.

Just give it a little more pressure with your hands.
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

I put the G|Techniq L1 Leather Coating on my new Ford. IMO it is fantastic! I only need a damp MF or terrycloth to wipe clean. If I need more, I will use Ultima Interior Shampoo.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRHTX View Post
    I have an '08 Mazda 3s GT Hatchback. I use the Optimum Power Clean on the leather seats, dash door panels and everything else inside the vehicle. No problems what do ever. I spray it on a MF towel and whip it on everything. Even the leather steering wheel. No problems. I do not even have to put anything else on top of the OPC since it gives everything a nice, deep, fresh look. On the leather seats, I will dress it with the OPP.

Just give it a little more pressure with your hands.
    Thanks! I need to try that OPP stuff. I've still got some Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant that I use on the interior plastics. I assume it will be fine to use?

Post Thanks / Like

the apc leather thread left me all kinds of confused. I have been using ONR as an interior wipe down and then apc 1:15 to clean stains on everything else, leather, seats, carpets, vinly, plastic, seatbelts, ect. Should I really be using apc, maybe 1:40. Or should I get leather specific cleaning products. I don't really want to buy more products. I have some leather conditioner, or shoes laying around the house and I use that. Is a leather wax like collnites worth it?

Also for leather what do you use for UV protection?
    Owner of Green Mobile Car Spa
    2002 Chrysler Sebring coupe 3.0liter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast