autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Optimum Car wax

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Car wax

Everytime I dry the car with a MF WW drying towel I mist Optimum Instant Detailer on the wet car then dry. Can I use the Optimum car wax in the same way? Spraying the wax on the wet car and drying??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Car wax

yup

some people alternate with each wash

Post Thanks / Like

I spray 1:1 Opt car wax to wet surface then dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OvertimeDetail View Post
    I spray 1:1 Opt car wax to wet surface then dry.
    If the surface is already wet, then why would you dilute also? I'm not knocking it, just trying to see your logic.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G37 View Post
    Everytime I dry the car with a MF WW drying towel I mist Optimum Instant Detailer on the wet car then dry. Can I use the Optimum car wax in the same way? Spraying the wax on the wet car and drying??
    i used to do the same thing. i kept OID at 4:1 around for basic instant detail type work, but also sprayed it on after getting most of the water up and finished the job with fantastic results. the 4:1 won't streak, and with the little water left on the car it was diluted even more which is still perfect for giving gloss and that OID bright look.

then, i started to use OCW in the same manner. if the car is washed frequently i will do it every few washes, still using OID in-between. the OID seems to juice up the slickness of the OCW which is still on the car from the wash a while back. if the car sees infrequent washes, like once a month or something, every wash it gets the wax.

OCW is awesome stuff. so easy to use and the protection is real.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I often use OIDE as a drying agent and OCW about 1x per month after washing. I don't dilute OCW.

I agree, awesome stuff with great durability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    If the surface is already wet, then why would you dilute also? I'm not knocking it, just trying to see your logic.

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk
    I thought you're only supposed to use OCW on a dry car?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I don't dilute it. The directions say to wipe off excess water before spraying the paintwork. Optimum Car Wax lasts me nowhere near 5 months. I use it on the S2K, which is rarely driven, and lives inside of my garage. The S2K is very rarely washed, and never see's direct sunlight, yet the finish seems to lose it's smoothness after 3-4 weeks. That said, just because the finish loses it's slickness after 3-4 weeks, doesn't mean that there is no protective coat of wax on the finish.

I have not conducted extensive testing to tell exactly how long this wax lasts, but given the conditions of the S2K over the course of several months, I will say that I don't believe this wax will last anywhere near 5 months. If you put a daily driver into the equation, one in which is washed on 1-2 week intervals, driven in rain, parked in the hot summer sun, the longevity would be considerably less than a car that is not a daily driver, that is parked 24-7 inside of a private garage.

I like Optimum Spray Wax. For one, it's easy to use. It doesn't streak, (most waxes I've used don't streak) and is actually enjoyable to work with. If it only lasts 6-8 weeks, (possibly longer) it's ok with me, I still like the product. The finish may lose it's slickness after 3-5 weeks, but it still looks great, and there is still a protective layer of polymer/wax on it for another month or so. (keep in mind, this car is garaged, so results will be different for a daily driver, or a car that is parked outside 24-7)

I just did a thorough cleansing of the S2K and waxed the entire car with M16. I've changed the oil with fresh synthetic, and am planning on not driving this car for a while. I am going to check the paintwork over the next weeks and compare longevity with the Optimum. I would suspect that the M16 will outlast the Optimum, but I still like the Optimum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    I thought you're only supposed to use OCW on a dry car?
    That's what I thought...

A friend of mine (who's not "into" detailing) washes his car at my house fairly often. Maybe 3 washes in a row I gave him FK 425 to aid in drying. Then the next wash gave him OCW and told him to spray then wipe until it's gone. I got pretty quick negative feedback, in that dirt/dust stuck to the paint and it looked really dirty, really fast compared to "the other stuff" (FK 425).

I'm not knocking OCW, just sharing an experience relevant to the topic. It's AG product description leads you to believe it is a WOWA product. But, at the end in the FAQ's, it reads-

Why is there some haziness after I wax my car with Optimum Car Wax?

Depending on the temperature and the humidity, you may see some haziness. Lightly buff the surface with a Cobra Microfiber Towel and you will see the increase in gloss right away.
    I have a feeling this was the case, he left a film or haze behind. Maybe it wasn't spread fully/evenly, leaving a layer of wax that still needed to be buffed off or spread and thus causing the problem.

The point of my post is, I don't think OCW is the right product for the job as a drying aid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post

the next wash gave him OCW and told him to spray then wipe until it's gone. I got pretty quick negative feedback, in that dirt/dust stuck to the paint and it looked really dirty...

Prior to using Optimum Wax, (two years ago) I was using (alternating between) M26 and Gold Class, and found that the Optimum seemed to resist dust more noticably. Ultimately, no matter what you use, in due time, (weeks?) dust/dirt will land and subsequently stick/bond to the paintwork.

I've had great results with Optimum in this regard

he left a film or haze behind. Maybe it wasn't spread fully/evenly...

I've never ever had any streaking, haze or film with Optimum Wax. Not even close. I don't get streaking or haze with any wax that I use.

Instant detailers are another story, but that is another thread.

I don't think OCW is the right product for the job as a drying aid...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast